Scream tv series gets the green light what?

Discussion in 'General' started by fceurich39, Apr 25, 2013.

1. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    If it weren't for this site, I'd never really known about it. And that stupid mask doesn't help.
    I still will check it out. I LOVE the film series.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So did anyone watch the 1st episode- was it any good?

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I was mixed on it.

I thought the characters were boring and generic as fuck and that the episode should've ended with a big kill. It kept hinting that it would but ultimately it did not.

I did enjoy the opening and the backstory they're going with interests me enough to see where its going. Oh and yeah I actually don't mind the mask.

Ratings are terrible so far.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it for the most part. My expectations were curbed after the trailer, and the pilot was pretty much exactly what you'd expect from that trailer. Basically an opening kill, followed by a whole lot of CW teen soap stuff. That's sort of the problem with a slasher TV series like this or Harper's Island, you can really only off one character per episode. The promos had all pretty much shown the entire Bella Thorne opening kill (and I think she even excitedly tweeted "liek, omg, i'm gonna be reinacting the infamos drew berrymore scene from teh scream" and spoiled it even before the ads). That was pretty much all the episode had to offer in the slasher department, but I wasn't at all surprised.

Obviously, it's not Scream. And while Scream had the whole Maureen Prescott backstory, which is pretty serious and straight-faced, this backstory in this TV show is one of the most LOL ridiculously generic slasher backstories ever. But it was so absurdly obvious and cookie-cutter, I found it kind of endearing.

So yeah, I can totally understand why people won't like it, but I'm on board. However, if they want to keep the audience coming back, they're definitely going to have to go the Pretty Little Liars route and amp up the whodunit element.

I liked that the mom was played by Tracy Middendorf, the sassy babysitter Julie from New Nightmare. And worth mentioning, Ti West (House Of The Devil, The Innkeepers, The Sacrament) supposedly directed an upcoming episode.

6. Zollman

Zollman New Member

the generic slasher backstory is so good it breaks my heart to have it wasted on such shit.

7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

This. She brought a bit of depth to the episode even if her character is completely cliched.

Also weird to see Bobby Campo from "The Final Destination" playing one of the adult characters. He was a teen hero himself only 6 years ago. How quickly they grow up...

Overall it was about what I expected. The opening kill was decent but it was all downhill after that. The meta horror references were really awkward and forced here. These kids seem so shallow I seriously doubt they'd be aware of "Halloween" or "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - even the shitty remake versions. And since they seem to be playing the whole thing straight I'm not sure why they're bothering setting up "the rules" other than that's what the movies did. There really wasn't a single character I found interesting or likeable. It's just a bunch of (semi-)pretty kids waiting to be killed off one by one. I probably won't keep up with it but might binge watch after the season is over. But I'm so far removed from MTV's demographic I know they don't give a shit if I watch or not.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watching a show on MTV is more annoying than entertaining, since every god damn time a crappy song plays in the background, they have to bring up a popup with the artist, title and/or some fucking hashtags, covering 1/3 of the screen.

The show itself? All I can say is, that I wished all of the kids got butchered in the first episode. Sadly only one good kill. There better speed things up, and slaughter at least 3 of those shitheads in each episode. But I guess they wanna drag things out, so it can last for 6 seasons...

I wish they would just shift focus from the kids to the mom and the possible revenge/return of that freak, that was stalking her.
    But then again, it's not aimed at someone about to turn 40.
    It's for the teens ;)

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The last episode had a good ending. Reminded me of something from Saw would do.

10. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

All in all I have enjoyed the show much more than I expected. I'm looking forward to the final episodes of the season.

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't expect it to, but the show have actually improved a lot during the last two episodes. It feels like the plot is finally starting to focus on the more important parts, instead of crappy love triangles etc.

And the last episode had some unexpected, but welcome nods to the Elm Street movies.

I hope the show stays on track now, for the final episodes.

12. CPT HOOK

Yet another episode with no kills, and there are still a lot of disposable characters hanging around.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Well just watched the finale. Not too bad.

And yes , there will be a season 2. It's official.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

picked up the season 1 anchor bay dvd at walmart today

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I enjoyed season 1.

Will watch Season 2.

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Season one is currently on Netflix if you're so inclined.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Thanks, I've been wanting to see this show.

18. CPT HOOK

Season three is still on the way, but it was delayed due to the Weinstein scandal. Expect it to hit MTV this summer (it's a reboot with all new characters).

Shame season two never hit DVD. Pretty sure it's on NetFlix, but I have the first season on DVD and would probably buy season two to go with it.

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

In the meantime, why not watch Slasher on Netflix? Season two was a lot of fun, IMO.

20. CPT HOOK

Already done, as well as Harper's Island, Scream Queens, Pretty Little Liars, etc.

Hoping Scream Factory will put season two on blu-ray, as I have their release of the first season. The second season is a huge improvement over the first.

Harper's Island is by far my favorite of the slasher TV series. I have the DVDs and typically go through the series every other summer.