Seven Samurai

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Nemesis, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Just watched a pretty cool trailer for this that had a cool soundtrack.. made me pretty excited for the movie.. but im concerned coz it looks pretty old and stuff.. but i hear everyone rave about this so i dunno..

thought my best move would be to come here and ask you all what you think about it and maybe give me a little synopsis or something :)

Thanks!

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Only one of the best movies ever made, if not THE best.

It's old, yes, black and white, and 3 and a half hours long. And when it's over, you'll be sad that it ended so soon.

Plot is actually quite simple. A small village hires seven samurai to defend their town from bandits. But the action is intense, and the character development is unparalleled. You really feel you know these people by the end.

I finally saw it for the first time this year, and while I'm mad at myself for having waited so long, it was worth it since I saw it in a theater. Do not hesitate one second on this one, man.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

3 1/2 hours long! holy crap im never gonna want to read subtitles again after it! :) Is the criterion edition the only option for it?

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Nem... you can't miss this movie. I believe it is the best movie ever made. It may be 3 and-a-half hours long, but by the time it ends you'll be wishing there was more. Ther Criterion is the best print and translation available.

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

cool, 2 people saying its one of the best films ever.. this dvd is definately on my next order

:banana: :banana: :banana:

6. Atmims

Atmims Guest

It's a excellent movie for sure. As long as subtitles don't bother you. I tried to get my dad to watch it and he couldn't stand reading the subs so he gave up in like 15 minutes. :bs:

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

It's hands down the greatest Asian movie ever made, and it just may very well be the greatest period. You will love it, but your wallet may not, since after watching this one you will hunt down all his other films. :)

8. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Magnificent Seven, The (1960) was an American remake of this, if that helps you any. And one way to save your wallet is to get a NetFlix account, because then you can just pay $20 and see all the movies you want in a month, instead of paying those crazy Criterion prices.

9. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Theres a box set with a whole bunch of his films on it isnt there??

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, but I don't think Netflix is available in Australia...

But Seven Samurai is worth it, and like KR said, you'll start hunting down all of Kurosawa's flicks after you see it.

And seriously, don't worry about the length, the time just flies by. Too soon, if you ask me. This movie is a time-travel vacation. As in, you're going to be taken to feudal Japan for 3.5 hours. The movie is just that good.

11. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

is this worth the purchase? might be more affordable from DDD under the 20% discount scheme..

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Yeah man, I just picked up that FOUR SAMURAI CLASSICS box from DDD for a cool $57.56. When you think about it, you're getting 4 Criterions (with retails of $40, $30, $30, and $30) for a little under $15 each. I'm excited as hell for it to arrive, but it won't be shipping till the 10th. However, I just found out on another forum that Criterion may be planning a re-release of SEVEN SAMURAI with a better transfer (it was one of their first on DVD), so you may want to keep that in mind.

13. poorlogic

poorlogic Guest

Damn, I paid $89.99 for the Four Samurai Classics at Best Buy - I gotta start buying online.

14. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Fair enough... I don't work for them, so it doesn't bother me if you do or don't join, just thought I'd offer a suggestion since I know it's saved me a bundle in the last year.

15. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

theres a similar service available in australia.. not sure if its netflix.. my problem i'd end up not using the service enough and it wouldnt be worth it.. i just dont think theres enough good movies to warrant enugh rentals to make it worth it.. plus we dont have half as many cool dvds here in australia

16. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Hey.. i just watched the trailer for this again... i just realised that The 13th Warrior looks a bit similiar to this for one of their battle scenes... would i be correct in saying that?

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That and Magnificent Seven.

You'd also be correct if you said A Firstful of Dollars was a hell of a lot like Yojimbo.

18. dolemite

dolemite New Member

Yojimbo, Fistfull of Dollars and that Bruce Willis movie Last Man Standing were based on the same book Red Harvest by Dashell Hammitt. It's a hell of a book and is even better than The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man.
    P.S. Seven Samarai rules. They are making a futuristic version PS2 game with strict guidelines from Kurasawa's family.

19. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

SS is a great flick, not as great as some make it out to be but its still one hell of a ride. Defenintly worth seeing and owning IMO. But The Hidden Fortress is still my favorite Kurosawa flick. :banana:

20. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

Ok, so i ordered the Akira Kurosawa boxset... i know what the Seven Samurai and Yojimbo are about... but i have absolutely no idea what The Hidden Fortress or Samjuro are about, anyone care to give me a brief run down on them?