Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[​IMG]

Blackenstein
    is coming to Blu-ray from Severin on 5/30:

https://severin-films.com/shop/blackenstein-bluray/

https://severin-films.com/shop/blackenstein-bluray-plus-shirt/

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

In theory I'd like a Blackenstein T-Shirt... But in practice I wouldn't want that one. Even for 13 bucks. I'd rather have a poster of the cover art. :D

So what's the difference between cuts? Not finding much on that. I'm guessing when they pulled the original materials they first realized the difference.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

My indie store has the severin DVD I can get it for $8. think I may pull the trigger since the DVD is same as bluray in the extras dept

5. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Blackenstein, like Synapse's Thundercrack, are too risky for blind buys. My main dislike for these kinds of movies are their amateurish-ness. I don't even mind bad acting too much - just give me a competently-made film that doesn't feel like I'm watching someone's backyard home video. One film that comes to mind that I hated was Nail Gun Massacre. What a cheesefest! Like I said - I enjoy bad movies, but they have to look and feel like a movie and not a student project.

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Nail Gun Massacre is an extreme example, but for me, it's not so much all the things it gets wrong. It's more that it doesn't really get anything right. On the other hand, I feel movies like Malatesta's Carnival of Blood, The Child (1977), The Alien Factor, and Honeymoon Horror (1982) work because - not in spite - of their budgetary limitations. These movies all have an undeniable crudeness to them, but each is also a triumph of creativity. HH has a brilliantly claustrophobic shot near the end. MCoB and AF cram in more ideas than you'd expect to see your typical studio movie dare tackle. Child makes the most out of a handful of atmospheric locations. I don't even enjoy these on a so-bad-they're-good level - I simply enjoy them.

As for Blackenstein, I haven't seen it, but I suspect that it is more competently made than Nail Gun. ;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    russweiss likes this.
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVD Beaver on Dark Waters: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_76/dark_waters_blu-ray.htm

"Severin Film's Blu-ray appears to be the same slightly window-boxed high definition master of the film's director's cut (it actually runs shorter than the original release version as director Mariano Baino cut to improve pacing but could not do as much as he wanted because he could not go back to the original audio and picture elements) which was struck for NoShame Films' limited two-disc (which included a replica of the monster amulet and a booklet of script pages and production artwork) and standard single-disc DVD editions from 2006. Framing is identical while the image evinces both more detail and a layer of scanner noise not previously noticeable.

Either due to an authoring error or bizarre judgment, the feature audio has been encoded in lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo while the commentary (as well as the audio for some of the SD featurettes) has been encoded in uncompressed LPCM. The optional English subtitles are not the same as the NoShame DVD and features a couple minor transcription errors.

All of the extras from the NoShame two-disc edition have been ported over including Baino's short films and retrospective featurette with Baino, actress Louise Salter, camera operator Steve Brooke Smith, co-editor Rick Littler, and associate producer Nigel Dali. Severin have produced three new featurettes with Baino in which he discusses how he got into horror through his discovery of H.P. Lovecraft, Uncle Creepy comics, and Fangoria magazine, his current art exhibitions, as well as a rough assembly of the one-take-only flood scene in the film shot with five cameras."

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVD Beaver on The Other Hell: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_76/the_other_hell_blu-ray.htm

"The Severin 1080P is all about the grain - which is heavy and richly textured as part of the image. Colors shift - mostly for the better. There are imperfections (a few compression artifacts), but, overall, the new image is highly appealing if you are a fan of film-like grain. It's almost at the level of 16mm-transferred grain. In-motion this does look attractive in its own, stylistic, way...

...There is a religious-based appeal here - not just the Nunsploitation but it's a bit scattered. I appreciated the atmosphere, costumes but it leads in some pretty dark areas if you are sensitive. Nice Blu-ray package by Severin - great covers. Those keen on this brand of cinema - don't require me to identify them - they know who they are and if this appeals to them. "

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. Kim Bruun

Watched Cathy's Curse last night. Oh, boy... Cathy's Curse gets a lot of things wrong. Technical things like pointing the camera directly at a lit lamp or a large window with sunlight streaming through it. It misjudges the impact of having a young girl saying lines like "filthy female cow" (don't get me wrong, I'm not upset by bad language in movies, but *sigh* try harder, you incompetent writers). Some of the effects are really lazily executed - like when Cathy sees dead Laura in the mirror instead of her own reflection. Dead Laura vanishes, and the space in the mirror is just empty. It's as if she's looking into the mirror and seeing the reflection of an empty room. What happened to Cathy's own reflection? But... the problem isn't so much all the things that Cathy's Curse gets wrong. It's the fact that apart from a couple of cool makeup effects near the end, it gets nothing right. It just feels uninspired. Even on a budget, it could have conjured up an atmosphere of dread, but all it did for me was make me aware just how much I miss The Child on Blu-ray.

I steered a couple of members clear of Demented in the Scream Factory thread... I kinda feel like someone could have done me the courtesy of doing that for me with Cathy's Curse. :p :D

x666x likes this.
  12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^Thanks Kim. Was wondering about this title. I did a "try before I buy" viewing of Demented and did not like, either. So I will avoid Cathy's Curse until I "try" it, also. Sorry you feel swindled on this release.

I learned a long time ago that just because I personally like something, that does not mean its good. So I try to be careful of my recommendations also. I feel a lot of releases need to be heeded before I jump in nowadays. It is definitely impossible to have 100% accuracy on blind buys no matter how grounded the reviews from others are, though. So sometimes I try to think of it as working in the price of movies I do not like with the price of the ones I do. The movies I get for $25 that I love are worth $50 to me so it takes care of the Cathy's Curse titles that I may have unfortunately spent money on. I get less angry when I think of it that way.

satans-sadists and Kim Bruun like this.
  13. Kim Bruun

To be fair, neither Cathy's Curse nor Demented is a masterpiece, but I enjoyed the latter more. But like I said in the Scream Factory thread, it's a difficult movie to recommend. I didn't feel swindled with Cathy's Curse, despite the oddly enthusiastic recommendations here. ;) I'm always happy to support a company willing to take a chance on an obscure, low-budget 70's horror movie. That said, if I had already seen Cathy's Curse, I probably wouldn't have bought the release.

I definitely agree that you can't equate personal enjoyment with quality. When recommending something, I usually try to home in on whether or not the person I'm talking to likes similar movies.

satans-sadists likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Personally, when I express my appreciation or enjoyment of a film, it is NEVER intended as a recommendation - it is simply just that, an expression - unless I specifically say "I recommend it". Even so, a recommendation should never be taken as gospel as we all have different taste in films. My only surefire recommendation is to try to watch a film for free before purchasing ;)

16. Kim Bruun

You did recommend it, though:

But that's okay. My curiosity would have gotten the better of me anyway. I find myself watching more low-budget 70's horror than anything else, and I can easily forgive flaws if the movie manages to conjure up an eerie atmosphere. But like I said, Cathy's Curse didn't do anything well enough to distract me from the inadequacies of the camera work and the script. The dialogue in particular could have used a major overhaul. But if I go through my list of favourites, there would certainly be movies against which others could level similar criticism. Bad movie appreciation is very subjective, and Cathy's Curse is a good example. :p

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    elDomenechHDG likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I finally watched Cathy's Curse late last night. First time viewing for me as well. Quite possibly the majority of my film collection would be 1970's & 1980's horror & exploitation. I'm not one of those collectors who deliberately seeks out "bad movies" - though many other collectors would probably identify much of my video library as "crap." I enjoy what I enjoy without any apologies or labels like guilty pleasures. Why feel bad about what you like to watch? Years ago, I used to review films for a couple small magazines. That ship has sailed. I pretty rarely watch movies with an analytical eye anymore. Probably makes me more forgiving than a lot of other viewers & collectors?

All that out of the way, is Cathy's Curse a flawed film? Certainly! Did I enjoy watching it and would I watch it again? Definitely! Cathy's Curse was a lot more entertaining to me than say The Night Child. The latter was a serious chore to sit through.

As for no reflection in the mirror?
    Is Laura (the dead girl) just fucking with her & creating the illusion of no reflection? Is Cathy a vampire? Shit gets much stranger as Cathy later teleports, has telekinetic powers, can create hallucinations! No rational explanations to be found.

Since I often watch movies as escapism, suspension of disbelief usually comes rather easily for me. Cathy's Curse asks a lot in that regard. For the most part, I went with it and had fun doing so.

Natas, fceurich39 and Kim Bruun like this.
  19. Kim Bruun

Well, The Night Child is flat-out boring so of course it's going to make Cathy's Curse look good! I did manage to get through Cathy's Curse in one sitting, mostly spurred on by a sense of curiosity. It's such a mess that I couldn't figure out how they were gonna wrap it up, and I was a bit disappointed that the conclusion wasn't crazier.

But like I said, The Child is the movie that conjures up the eerie atmosphere I had hoped to find in Cathy's Curse. Now, The Child is not flawless. For one thing, the actress who plays Rosalie paints in very broad strokes, dramatically speaking. But whatever The Child gets wrong, I can forgive because of what it gets right. :)

satans-sadists likes this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I forgot to mention that I watched a trailer for The Child a couple days ago. Now that I've seen Cathy's Curse, I have to say The Child looks even better! Nightmare USA had an interesting profile on The Child as well. Bring it on, I am eager to see this film.

Kim Bruun likes this.