Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'll have to give Count Dracula another spin and think about it. I hate to do that as I'm not going to be in an HD mood for sometime after (if I ever get back round to it), but this is a film I was really disappointed with. I like even the trash Christopher Lee, Klaus Kinski and Jesus Franco make but for some reason Count Dracula left me cold. But it looks so good on paper!

2. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

interesting X-Human, I thought the Jess Franco version of Count Dracula with Christopher Lee, was the best Dracula film Christopher Lee ever made. I guess everyone has their own favorites though. I think I liked it better than the Hammer Dracula films with Christopher Lee because Christopher Lee was actually in the film more, he was in the Hammer films what maybe 4 minutes it seems like. Hammer Dracula films never USED Christopher Lee, that was their major area of failure. But the Franco version he was in it more, and I guess that's why I liked it more.

MorallySound likes this.
  3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The thing about Franco's Count Dracula is that it is REALLY straightforward, almost like the original, very straight. As a fan of the nutso Franco films it was surprising in it's traditional approach.

4. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I know! Lina Romay's hairpie was on display HOW many times in Count Dracula? It was not even like a Franco film I tell you!

MorallySound likes this.
  5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Franco's Count Dracula is my favourite adaptation of the Bram Stroker novel, and like horrorlover said, also my favourite Christopher Lee Dracula portrayal. Can't wait for the full reveal of extras!

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I guess it's a mix of Franco not really being Franco, Kinski not really being Kinski, and even Herbert Lom not really being Herbert Lom. I wasn't all that enamored with Soledad Miranda or Christopher Lee either as I recall. They're all being fairly reserved, and none of these guys are known for holding back. With Dracula not really the best materially to stop chewing the scenery. There's some nice parts put overall it's a bit clunky and without heart. Apparently Franco himself was dissatisfied with it according to Stephen Thrower in the extras on the Vampyros Lesbos and made Lesbos as a kind of a exercise to work out some of that disapointment.

But sometimes you have to get over what a film isn't before you enjoy a film for what it is. However great films usually overcome any expectations.

If, however, they manage to include the "documentary" Cuadecuc, vampir (1971) along with it then it becomes a must own. Kinda doubt that'll happen though I'm sure they themselves would love to.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. second301

second301 New Member

maskull likes this.
  10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just a note for those of you who attend horror cons: this past weekend I stopped at the Severin booth at Horrorhound Weekend. Unlike at a lot of cons where the vendor prices are overinflated, their table was very reasonably priced. I grabbed The Video Nasties Volumes 1 & 2 along with the 3 disc edition of Lost Soul for only $50. Compare that to Amazon where after shipping and taxes I would only be able to get the two Video Nasties sets for that price.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Alright, enough of this lesbian vampire stuff, where the hell is the Axe / Kidnapped Coed blu-ray?

Mutilated Prey, Steel76 and Kim Bruun like this.
  13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Picked up Turkey Shoot, but haven't watched it yet. Love that film!

14. MorallySound

AXE/KIDNAPPED COED is finally up for pre-order at https://severin-films.com/shop/ and available in a signed edition or even with an original poster (not reproduction)! Streets Dec. 8th, 2015.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  15. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

December 8th is a big release date, there are the Blue Underground Franco films, Thundercrack, and now this blu ray, I hope I can get them all on release date, but some might have to wait a week or 2 before I can pick them up. But I am definitely getting all of these I just mentioned.

16. MorallySound

[​IMG]

Also coming out Dec. 8th is the Blu-ray (and 2-disc DVD) of Jess Franco's Count Dracula. Full special features have finally been unveiled, and it includes Pere Portabells's experimental film/behind-the-scenes Cuadecuc, Vampir!

• Special Features:

Uncut Feature in HD (Includes Controversial Previously Deleted Baby Scene) at Franco’s Approved Aspect Ratio 1.33:1

CUADECUC, VAMPIR (1970): Experimental ‘Making Of’ Feature By Pere Portabella

Audio Commentary with horror historian David Del Valle and Actress Maria Rohm

Beloved Count Interview with Director Jess Franco

An Interview With Actor Jack Taylor

‘Handsome Harker’ Interview With Actor Fred Williams

’Stake Holders’ An Appreciation By Filmmaker Christophe Gans

German Trailer
    [​IMG]

Also coming out the same day from Severin's imprint InterVision is a documentary chronicling the cinematic history of Dracula, called Trail of Dracula, which also features 90 minutes of Dracula movie trailers.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Excellent news! Cuadecuc, vampir seemed to me to be a pipe dream so that alone is worthy of procurement. And they mention the baby scene, but there's lot of different footage circulating in different prints. So I doubt don't something will be "missing." I hope the internet at large doesn't come down too hard whatever the cut may be. It's essentially impossible to wrangle every stray frame and perhaps disingenuous to do so.

And I did revisit Franco's Dracula this week and knowing what to expect this time I enjoyed it more... But it's still underwhelming for me. But I'm still buying it packaged with The Trail of Dracula at a discount via Severin's website.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Severin is teasing 2016 releases on Facebook. So far:

Emmanuelle and the Last Cannibals
    Wild Beasts (Prosperi)

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I hope Wild Beasts is coming I still got the lightning vhs I love that flick hopefully it will have the English dub track