Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yes.

Angelman likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That Wax Mask transfer is terrible. How did they not notice how washed out it looked? Compared to the images from the other release, it's night and day difference.

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  5. Katatonia

Yeah, it's disappointing that they screwed up the contrast and black levels so poorly. Severin is very hit and miss with how they handle transfers... it's not exactly their prime concern it seems.

I have the old Blu-ray release, but it does have the "audio issues". The English dub is terrible, and the Italian track has no English subtitles.

When I do get the new release, I'll just try what was recommended in the one review... drop my brightness settings temporarily and see how that goes.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was a bit bummed when Severin announced Paganini Horror, because I'd already pre-ordered the 88 Films release. I always prefer to have the best possible technical presentation, and if I had known that two releases were happening in so short a time frame, I might have waited. That said, I watched my 88 Films Blu-ray the other day and... it didn't make to instant favourite list. The two rip-off songs are fun, and the lead actress Jasmine Maimone has an interesting look and presence. I would by no means describe her as a timeless beauty, nor even a formidable actress, but there's something striking about her. Daria Nicolodi and Donald Pleasance have the recognisability factor, but the movie showcases neither at their best. The rest of the movie is a total mess, with characters behaving in a baffling manner, cheaply decorated, unimaginative sets, and lots of awkward, expository dialogue (one character dies a hideous, slimy death, only to have another helpfully explain that she was killed by a fungus: "I saw a program about it on TV"). In short, I'm glad to have it, but I don't see myself upgrading should the Severin release prove superior, even if it does have the soundtrack:

I am, however, holding out for the Killer Crocodile comparisons. Who would you guys put your money on for these movies?

7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I purposely held off on getting Paganini Horror for this exact reason. I used to have the two disc euro DVD - I agree the film is terrible but have a fondness for it nonetheless...

Kim Bruun likes this.
  8. Zombie Dude

It's a shame. I thought Severin was a much better lable than this. What's that disc they're comparing to? That looks like the one to get.

Katatonia likes this.
  9. Katatonia

It's the "One 7 Movies" Blu-ray. But if you want to watch the movie with Italian audio, that release lacks subtitles. The English dub sounds okay, but it's poorly done as far as English dubs go...really bad voice actors.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Ah ok. I actually had that on my Amazon wishlist for ages before replacing it with Severin's new edition. I'm pretty sure I've only seen the dubbed version as I usually go with that option for Italian horror. I don't remember much from this one. I was planning on watching it again before committing to a purchase.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'd be careful about judging these two releases on screenshots alone. I have the older release of Wax Mask, and it's absolutely one of the worst transfers of a film that I've seen. Contrast is boosted like crazy, and colors are pumped-up to unnatural levels. Worst of all, it's DNR'd to oblivion. It looks like it was shot on video.

Don't forget the controversy over Arrow's version of JC's The Thing. Some tried to claim that Arrow's transfer wasn't as sharp or saturated as prior transfers. Of course, those older transfers were mutated by digital f_ckery of all kinds. This might be a similar case.

12. Zombie Dude

I mean you still usually see a lot of those issues comparing images. The colour looks better in all the screen grabs from the One 7 Movies release and it looks just as sharp. I'm surprised to hear it looks shit in motion because it seem pretty stunning.

Thanks for the heads up though. I won't be jumping on either edition just yet.

13. Katatonia

Also it appears that Severin have done a "silent" 2nd replacement of The Changeling Blu-ray. Several people have reported those now sold include a V3 disc (as in version 3 on the disc).

So way to go Severin, really lame. Botch the original replacement disc, then correct that and don't even offer it to those who purchased it before. o_O

It looked pretty odd in motion, similar to other "Italian" transfers with weird transfer noise in them. I've seen others post that the same weird transfer noise is still present in the Severin transfer, so I am doubting that's been fixed much if any either.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Zombie Dude and chancetx like this.
  14. Zombie Dude

I also heard the Severin transfer has all those issues present. Looks like they just added one more with the contrast issue rather than doing anything to make this a better release. Shame as that 4k scan looks like it could be gorgeous in the right hands.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. Katatonia

I received the Severin release earlier today, and comparing it to my old Blu-ray it is almost certainly the same scan/source with the same problems present. There is simply no way it's a newer 4k scan as the back cover proclaims. The only major difference is the Severin has the screwed up contrast/black levels... and why they did it that way is anyone's guess.

The German Blu-ray release apparently looks the best, but unfortunately it only includes the Italian dub and no English subtitles.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. shape22

Don't worry guys. The 2nd replacement disc will be AMAZING!

I wonder what's wrong with the Killer Crocodile release? Like an idiot, I keep shelling out money to this company.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Fucking seriously??? GRRRR...has anyone here contacted them about getting sent the new disc? Do we even know if they got it right the third time?

18. Katatonia

I contacted them, but I fully expect to get the silent treatment they did when they botched the v2 disc.

Nope, I don't think anyone has confirmed what is different on the v3 disc yet... just that it is definitely out there labeled as such with newer retail copies of the release.

Myron Breck likes this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Do you think they'll do one? I mean I also read this as sarcasm as I'm quickly learning Severin has very poor quality control lol.

What's even more upsetting is that Wax Mask is about $35 on Amazon for a release that seems no effort was put into for the transfer at least (the main selling point). This type of shit would be easier to accept if it was $15 or less.

russweiss likes this.
  20. shape22

I wouldn't be optimistic. I can't believe they had the balls to silently produce a legitimate CORRECTED replacement disc for The Changeling without offering it to the people who took the trouble to obtain the first f'd up replacement disc.

Yet I still buy their discs. I need to stop because it's affecting my opinion of my own intelligence.

Zombie Dude likes this.