Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I know you were being sarcastic but the Killer Crocodile blu was a very nice transfer. Better than I was expecting for what I knew was a very low budget effort. The only issue I noticed was in a couple of the night scenes it was lower quality. Possibly from the actual shoot and not the transfer but I'm not sure. As for the film that leaves a lot to be desired. Basically trying to be a Jaws rip-off right down to a Quint character and music that is very similar to the Jaws theme. I did laugh out loud during at least three scenes (although I know that wasn't the intent) and the film is only 92 minutes so it doesn't drag too much. A warning though about the extras. I haven't seen Killer Crocodile 2 but I watched the extras on the first disc and there are some spoilers for the second film. It would be better to watch both movies prior to watching the interviews. All things considered I bought this from Amazon for $25 rather than Severin's $34 price tag so I can't really complain. The second film has a different director so hopefully it will be a better effort.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I haven't watched the disc yet, and I'm glad to hear it. I got it from Amazon, too.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]
    In the ‘70s, he created a daring new world of X-rated cinema with EMMANUELLE and THE STORY OF O. And in 1984, Just Jaeckin wrote and directed the most ambitious, audacious, fun – and final – classic of his legendary erotic career: Video vixen Tawny Kitaen (BACHELOR PARTY, WITCHBOARD) and action hero Brent Huff (NINE DEATHS OF THE NINJA, STRIKE COMMANDO 2) star in this “★★★★ kink-o-rama” (Mr. Skin) based on the infamous S&M comic strip and bursting with perilous adventure, bountiful nudity, spectacular production design, eye-popping lesbian bondage, all-new Special Features and more. César Award winning actress/director Zabou co-stars in the “decadent delight and true cult favorite” (WhatCulture.com) that launched Severin Films, now scanned uncut in 4k from the original negative recently discovered in a Paris vault.

Special Features:

• Alternate US Release Version: THE PERILS OF GWENDOLINE IN THE LAND OF THE YIK YAK
    • Audio Commentary with Director Just Jaeckin
    • Audio Commentary with Stars Tawny Kitaen and Brent Huff
    • The Butterfly Effect: 2019 Interview with Director Just Jaeckin
    • Bondage Paradise: Interviews with Costume & Concept Designers & Comic Book Artists François Schuiten and Claude Renard
    • The Perils Of Production: Interview with Executive Producer Jean-Claude Fleury
    • Gwendoline’s Travels: Interview with Production Designer Françoise Deleu
    • Blu-Ray Promos with Tawny Kitaen & Brent Huff
    • The Last Temptation Of Just: 2006 Interview with Director Just Jaeckin
    • Dr. Kinsey Interview with John Willie, Creator of SWEET GWENDOLINE
    • Revealing Tawny Kitaen Photospread for French LUI Magazine
    • Trailers
    • Reversible Cover
    • Six Lobby Cards (while supplies last)
    [​IMG]
    This is the moment ‘80s teen movies turned “harrowing” (Unobtanium13.com), “frightening” (FilmFracture.com) and “all too real” (CoolAssCinema.com). Now this “dark, forbidding vision” (Los Angeles Times) from Penelope Spheeris – director of THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION Trilogy as well as WAYNE’S WORLD – and screenwriters Glen Morgan & James Wong – creators of FINAL DESTINATION and writers/producers of THE X-FILES – comes to Blu-ray for the first time ever: Maxwell Caulfield and Charlie Sheen star as high-school outcasts who head to Los Angeles for a spree of petty crime, senseless violence and savage murder “that will stick in your head for a long time” (The-Unknown-Movies.com). Patti D’Arbanville (BILITIS) and Christopher McDonald (REQUIEM FOR A DREAM) co-star in this “descent into Hell” (BirthMoviesDeath.com) featuring music by Iggy Pop, Tex & The Horseheads and The Cramps, scanned in 4k from the original negative.

Special Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Penelope Spheeris and Actor Maxwell Caulfield
    • Blind Rage: Interview with Stephen Thrower, Author of Nightmare USA
    • Both Sides of the Law: Interview with Actors Maxwell Caulfield and Christopher McDonald
    • Give Us Your Money: Interviews with Street Band Performers Texacala Jones and Tequila Mockingbird
    • Caveman Day: Cinemaniacs Interview with Director Penelope Spheeris and Actor Maxwell Caulfield
    • Tales from the End Zone: Interview with Actor Kenneth Cortland
    • The Psychotronic Tourist – The Boys Next Door
    • Alternate Opening Title Sequence & Extended Scenes (Silent)
    • Trailer

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I only know Maxwell Caulfield from two movies: Electric Dreams and The Supernaturals. I think both are from MGM. Surprised no one's licensed these yet. I own the Second Sight BD of Electric Dreams and it's satisfactory but I'd still like a US edition with extras.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Let me direct you to little film called Mind Games (1989). (coming to Blu-ray from MVD btw)

[​IMG]

Then go watch Empire Records... :D

elDomenechHDG and Katatonia like this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I was just about to make a "Happy Rex Manning Day!" comment but Baggio got it in the coda.

baggio likes this.
  7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I wonder if music rights are an issue with Electric Dreams getting a domestic release. The soundtrack was released on CD in Europe a few years ago but there hasn't been a domestic release of the soundtrack or movie in the U.S. since the 80s.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's a possibility, but MGM holds the worldwide rights and it would be quite odd if the music rights were only valid in Europe. They even sell the film's soundtrack CD (with the two Culture Club songs) on Amazon US, etc.

The UK Blu-ray is really nice if you're region free. Good transfer, and lengthy interviews with both Virginia Madsen and Lenny von Dohlen.

chancetx likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Severin's encode is horrible on this one: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16988141&postcount=5407

I'm really glad I waited, and will pick up the 88 Films release when it goes lower in price again. Screw the CD. Now I'm wondering if they'll botch the Gwendoline release...

Zombie Dude and russweiss like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It's become too much of a risk pre-ordering anything from Severin.

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Guess I got lucky on this one. I had already purchased the 88 release when I saw there was another release coming. I've never seen the film and didn't want to order a different copy without more information.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. elDomenechHDG

Thank goodness I'm naive when it comes to technical shortcomings on Blu-ray/UHD discs. For the life of me I can never distinguish the differences between a poorly compressed disc and a stellar one whenever people post screenshot comparison pics. Everything always looks identical to me. I notice differences in before/after PQ or color but never compression issues. And you know what, I think I'd like to remain naive because if I ever "get it" I'm going to be driven insane lol. The way I see it, we've come a long way since VHS, If people aren't satisfied today, that's on them.

m@ggot likes this.
  14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm the same way, any time there's an issue like this I never notice without being told there's a problem. I can see what they're talking about in the screenshots if I really look, but watching the movie I wouldn't notice, and if I did it probably wouldn't really affect my enjoyment of it.

Target is doing their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale again, so you can get this and Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory for like $16 each if you find a third equally priced movie. I'll probably go ahead and get it for that price.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, I ordered the 2-disc version from there this morning and it's back-ordered. I'm still waiting on Severin's Killer Crocodile as well, which I ordered over a month ago when they first had this sale.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Screenshots from Mondo-Digital: https://mondo-digital.com/paghorror.html

Eh... I don't know the 88 Films one looks artificially contrast boosted to me. And it doesn't look like the Severin's colors were pushed. But in some shots 88 films have the better color tones like in the first shot but then in the third shot Severin looks better. It may depend on the reel what each company did.

They both look pretty flat though with a lot of scanner noise. It's hard to compare screenshots that are probably compressed. Mondo-Digital.com seems to think the encodes are about the same:
    I don't know if I would say that there's a dramatic difference between the two. They're both pretty bad.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

To follow up with this, the backorder on the 2-disc Paganini Horror blu-ray was incredibly brief. I received it today, along with the new-release blu-rays of Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark and Resurrection. The sale is still on until Saturday.

However, my backorder for 2-disc Killer Crocodile was cancelled.

19. elDomenechHDG

88 Films announced Lamberto Bava's Macabre will be one of their next Italian Collection titles. 88 and Severin are currently riding each other's coattails and releasing the same films so can we expect Macabre to be among Severin's next batch of announcements or will they be foolish and let 88 be first out of the gate again? Orgasmo is another one but there's currently some confusion about which film it actually is since apparently there are several films that share the same title.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

The inaugural entry in the new Severin Kids line!

THE PEANUT BUTTER SOLUTION (1985)

Disc Specs:
    *Brand new 4K scan from the interpositive
    *Restored complete audio track
    *English mono audio (with closed captions)

Special Features:
    *Extended US Theatrical Release Version (scanned from answer print)
    *New Commentary with Producer Rock Demers and Actor Matthew Mackay, Moderated by Filmmaker Ara Ball
    *Human Beings Are The Same All Over: An Interview with Producer Rock Demers
    *Conrad’s Peanut Butter Solution: An Interview with Siluck Saysanasy
    *Tales for All: Paul Corupe on Rock Demers and the Canadian Kids Film
    *Canadian Trailer
    *Original U.S. Trailer
    *Reversible cover art

Pre-order now: https://severinkids.com/shop…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nailwraps likes this.