Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

They forgot to include the disc replacement details for the new releases. ;)

Myron Breck, maybrick and Katatonia like this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Ha ha

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

So apparently there's two cuts of Revenge of the Living Dead Girls; "Horror Version" and "Erotic Version". I believe the Horror version to be 79 minutes and the Erotic Version to be 83 minutes long.

Severin Films said on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/severinfilms/photos/a.189472665037/10162740455490038/

There's some contention however if that is the case. DVDCompare states "Both versions differ substantially in their narrative." But I'm not seeing anyone detailing the narrative differences. It's possible, Eurosleaze is especially susceptible to producer's recuts for different markets, but usually that's well documented over the decades.

4. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

The Blu announcement of Viy was an instant upgrade buy for me. I watched it for the October marathon in '18, and it was stand out viewing.

X-human likes this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. shape22

"Our two mystery Black Friday Special Releases have just been announced! We're thrilled to bring you the U.S. disc premieres of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW (1970) & THE BEAST IN THE CELLAR (1970)! They will be available tonight along with THE REVENGE OF THE LIVING DEAD GIRLS (1986), MONDO BALORDO (1964) and THE WILD, WILD WORLD OF JAYNE MANSFIELD (1968) — and many new merch items!"

Blood On Satan's Claw is a favorite, but I'm done pre-ordering anything from Severin. I'd like the Jack the Ripper bonus disc, but I don't need additional aggravation.

chancetx likes this.
  7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

The Severin sale wasn't really on my Black Friday radar but those are two titles I'm definitely interested in. But since they don't discount their new/recent releases I guess I can wait. Did they say if those will be limited in number?

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

They're just available for this BF sale as far as I understand.

9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I really wish Severin could get their shit together as far as their web site goes. It always seems slow as hell for me and now it barely works; been trying for like 10 minutes to buy stuff from them. I get a 404 error when I try and checkout now...

chancetx likes this.
  10. chancetx

No kidding. I just managed to *FINALLY* place an order and I got a receipt from Paypal but my order page on the Severin site says 'cancelled.' I'm over worrying about it. Complete opposite experience from Vinegar Syndrome. No issues there at all.

f.ramses likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

chancetx likes this.
  12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Had a cart loaded up with 4 $10-$12 titles on Thursday night, but the shipping was a crazy $12 and free only clicked in after you spent $100. So I passed.

Then I Friday morning I realized Blood on Satan's Claw was a this weekend only release, but it cost $34 and that still wouldn't put me in the free shipping zone. So I passed.

Finally Friday night I sought out Blood on Satan's Claw on YouTube (which I never do, the quality is always so bad) to see if it was a must-have I'd regret missing out on. I liked it enough to add The Boys Next Door at full price to my order so I could get free shipping.

So in the end I spent $101 and nabbed:
    The Uncanny
    Next of Kin
    Dark Waters
    Threads
    The Blood on Satan's Claw
    The Boys Next Door
    The free Blu of Jack the Ripper for orders over $30

Depending on any must-have exclusives, I'll likely sit out the next couple years of the sale because the exclusive prices are so high and the free shipping threshold and shipping prices if you don't reach it are pretty ridiculous. I'll need a couple years just to build up enough regular releases on sale for $10-$12 to be able to hit free shipping again.

13. shape22

Region-free folks who want Blood on Satan's Claw should consider the UK 4k blu. You don't get the soundtrack CD, but extras are plentiful and the transfer is the same--and you can import it for less than $30 shipped. I finally caved and placed my order.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Definitely a good option, the only reason I didn't is the various UK releases all have different extras and the Severin release collects them all together.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Damn I just realized Revenge of the Living Dead Girls is not limited in any way to just Black Friday. So I really only needed to order the Tigon set and Mondo set. But the Tigon set is "out of stock" now so I'm stuck. I could re-order everything minus RotLDG but would only save myself $16 now. And while RotLDG would still be around for Memorial Day it'd be $14 so I'd only save myself $2 net at this point. At best I may need RoTLDG to bump myself up to $100+ again Memorial Day.

Just pisses me off that I sat up late and thought too much about getting the package with Satan's skin or not and didn't really read into the individual listings. I'm getting pretty annoyed by this trend of limited time only offers. Caveat emptor. :(

16. chancetx

By the time I could get the website to process my order the Tigon set was no longer available. I was debating on the Revenge of the Living Dead Girls anyway so I ended up getting the Black Friday package with all 5 new titles which wasn't much more than buying Beast, Blood and Revenge individually.

I can't believe they're limiting Blood on Satan's Claw and Beast in the Cellar to Black Friday only. Those are pretty high-profile titles for horror fans; seems foolish to limit them to a single weekend purchase opportunity. I bet a standard/single disc version of Blood will appear down the line and maybe they'll get some other Tigon titles and do a box set at some point.

Katatonia likes this.
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, Severin are jackasses with the Tigon bundle. There was nothing even extra included, yet they limited it supposedly to 500. It was "sold out" within a couple of hours and their website was a complete crapfest as usual. I call bullshit, there was no way they sold 500 of those that quickly on their snail-paced website. The "Limited to 50" bundle still hasn't even come close to selling out.

They couldn't even get their basic math right on the Tigon bundle either... they are both $59 retail (not $57)

A way to still save a little money is to just order Blood on Satan's Claw in one order, and then just do The Beast in the Cellar in a separate order as "Add to Existing Order". At least you save on shipping then, and can add even more items and not get ripped off with excess shipping charges before hitting the free shipping threshold.

chancetx and zbinks like this.
  18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

John Lyons from Vinegar Syndrome did post this:

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Reading Severin's email, it looks like the RotLDG is a Black Friday exclusive after all:
    So RotLDG will probably be available minus the CD soundtrack at some point.

Doesn't seem all that unlikely. With most limited releases hundreds come in the first few minutes. After all that's why Severin's site was up and down. Considering the $52 Tigon bundle contained the two releases unique to Black Friday means that it would be a natural go-to choice.

It is BS though to put an arbitrary number on the bundles when there's stock of the individual titles left. After all there's no listed limit on the single titles.

There's too much at play with these transfers. If people are reluctant to bite on a new release I can't blame them. And on top of that making something a secret release available only during a weekend? You tell people "now or never" some people will elect for never.

And that's one of the problems with announcing secret titles on a Holiday weekend and expecting everyone in the world to be listening. A lot of the old timers who actually care about old movies like Tigon's probably aren't even aware of this release. Release week is still the highest sales period for most any release. If you don't really have pre-release advertising because you decide to make the announcement on a day like Thanksgiving that's just bad marketing. Fans of British Horror don't know they should be paying attention, and fans of the films don't have much time to hear the word of mouth.

chancetx likes this.
  20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator