Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Ha ha! Yeah, I had been meaning to check out that song after looking her up. Also curious about The Farewell now too.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Killer Crocodile 2 is not as good as the first. Anthony Crenna doesn't even show up until the half-way mark, and his dubbing is pretty bad. The lead actress is incredibly obnoxious and constantly expects everyone to drop what they're doing and cater to her. Still, there's fun to be had throughout. If you intend to buy this release, the two-movie limited edition is definitely the way to go.

The second-disc also includes a feature-length documentary on Giannetto De Rossi. Unfortunately it's a dud. They got an interview with the subject, which is great and accounts for maybe 40 mins of footage, but for whatever reason they decided to pad it out to feature length with a bunch of "film scholars" whining on about how unfair it is that De Rossi isn't as beloved as Tom Savini. Just give us the 40 minutes with De Rossi and spare us the rest. I think this was the same guy who made the atrocious Eaten Alive doc on the Cannibal Ferox blu-ray, and it shows. It seems like he's doing short disc interviews with a single subject, then padding them out to feature length so he can fill out his IMDB page with "documentaries". Gross.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

MorallySound likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

30 films in one set? Anyone care to predict how many screw-ups Severin will make in the set? :p

Al Adamson films a re a mixed bag though. I've seen probably half of those before in varied quality; and a few are good, some are so-bad-they're-good... and then some are just plain bad.

If the price is right for the goodies in the set...

gobad2003 and x666x like this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

$170 Limited to 2,000 units. You buying it?

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Pre-orders are live! And turns out the info posted above about the set earlier was a leak and not the correct/updated image as there's now 32 films in the set!

Al Adamson: The Masterpiece Collection: https://severin-films.com/shop/al-adamson-box/

Bundle-A-Go-Go version (limited to 300): https://severin-films.com/shop/bundle-a-go-go/

Bundle of Ghastly Horror version (limited to 200): https://severin-films.com/shop/bundle-of-ghastly-horror/

Just the Blood & Flesh doc: https://severin-films.com/shop/blood-and-flesh-blu/

Just Carnival Magic Blu-ray: https://severin-films.com/shop/carnival-magic-blu/

Carnival Magic Bundle: https://severin-films.com/shop/carnival-magic-bundle/

And lastly an EW article on Al Adamson and the box set: https://ew.com/movies/2020/02/21/al-adamson-box-set-severin-films/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd barely call what EW posted an "article," more like a sell sheet.

Of all the movies Carnival Magic is the only one they pluck out for a stand alone release?!? It was just on MST3k I know but that's hardly going to drive demand. I wonder if they did that just to pad their kids line?

Pretty good deal on the set even at full price. I was expecting it to be around $250. The bundle's not too tempting this time around.

10. Katatonia

Not for their direct price, hell no.

We'll see how much it gets discounted at retailers.

gobad2003 and baggio like this.
  11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I’ve yet to see an Al Adamson movie I truly loved, so I can’t justify the expense for this set.

12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'll conservatively set the over/under for botched transfer discs at 7. For customer convenience, each disc will probably have its own individual replacement protocol.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. MorallySound

Long trailer for the Al Adamson boxset (which I happily pre-ordered), which goes into full details of each disc and the versions of the films included in the set (lots of which are available in their longest versions previously unavailable/on home video for the first time ever). Nurse Sheri for instance is a new HD scan of the X-rated version (the VS release only offered this in SD on the DVD disc as a 16mm print of it surfaced after their release came out):

Myron Breck, Erick H. and loutoad23 like this.
  14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Amazon just listed it. They have it for $299. :eek:

15. MorallySound

DiabolikDVD posted it too: $171.99 - so still cheaper direct from Severin.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Free shipping too. (because it covers the $80 min)

Katatonia and MorallySound like this.
  17. Katatonia

I'll pass. If they can get it down to a price level of something comparable like the Criterion Berman set which can be had under $150 with 39 films, and packaged quite well, then I'll see.

Just none of Adamson's films are worth $170 to me, and I get the feeling the packaging will be cheap on this one. And just 14 discs with 32 films + bonus features, and Severin's horrid compression skills? I'll wait for some reviews to convince me.

I also just simply do not trust Severin at all, and would be shocked if they didn't find some way to screw it up. If they had good customer service and quality control (like some similar labels) I'd be more willing to support them, but they've burned me several times before and never made good on their errors. So basically...screw 'em.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    baggio likes this.
  18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yeah. Same here. Would like to see the reviews from a couple places first.

Katatonia likes this.
  19. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The only Adamson film I've seen is Nurse Sherri and the only reason I own a copy on Blu is because of nostalgia (I saw it as a double feature on 42nd Street back in the day). It's a terrible film and terribly amateurish. I suspect most of his filmography is about the same quality or worse lol. This set is strictly for junk aficionados. Well, looks like Severin will be saving me some money this year. I haven't bought anything from them since November. Somebody wake me when they resume their Italo splatter kick.

20. MorallySound