Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

All I can say is fair play to you. I thought it was fucking awful!!! The only way I honestly believe I would be able to get any 'enjoyment' out of it is to show it to with a group of friends who have all had a fair amount of 'drink' or 'substance' before hand! I watched it without either and I could not wait for the end!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Severin states both Grizzly and Day of the Animals will have new scans on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/severinfilms/posts/10164892455460038

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't wait and just tuned it off. Truly awful and boring.

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Was Lee Jones of Vinegar Syndrome involved in the restorations of Grizzly and DotA for Severin??

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

X-human likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

*** NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

[​IMG]

THE DUNGEON OF ANDY MILLIGAN
    Disc 1: The Ghastly Ones (1968)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 72 mins
    *Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
    *Color
    *Audio: English Mono
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Audio Commentary with Actor Hal Borske and Filmmaker Frank Henenlotter
    *Audio Commentary with CineFear's Keith Crocker
    *Partial Audio Commentary with Filmmaker Fred Olen Ray
    *Trailer
    *BLOOD RITES Alternate Title Sequence
    *Ghastly & Depraved - Interview with Marketing Wiz Samuel M. Sherman
    *Trailer for Lost Milligan Film DEPRAVED!
    *Talk Of The Trade - Interview with Early Milligan Actress Natalie Rogers
    *THE FILTHY FIVE - One German Language Reel of Lost Milligan Film

Disc 2: The Body Beneath / Nightbirds (1970)
    The Body Beneath:
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 82 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Audio Commentary with Film Scholars Vic Pratt and Will Fowler
    *Trailer
    Nightbirds:
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 77 mins
    *B&W
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Audio Commentary with Actor Berwick Kaler & Author Stephen Thrower
    *Trailer

Disc 3: Torture Dungeon / Bloodthirsty Butchers (1970)
    Torture Dungeon (Never Before Released Director's Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 80 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Audio Commentary with Milligan Historian Alex DiSanto
    *Trailer
    Bloodthirsty Butchers (Never Before Released Director's Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 79 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Feature:
    *Trailer

Disc 4: The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! (1971)
    The Curse of the Full Moon (Never Before Released Director's Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 73 mins
    *Color
    -Audio Options:
    1. Dialogue Only
    2. Cut down audio from THE RATS ARE COMING...
    *Closed Captions
    The Rats are Coming! The Werewolves are Here! (Theatrical Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 91 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *The World of Andy Milligan - Locations Featurette Narrated by Temple of Schlock's Chris Poggiali
    *Trailer

Disc 5: Man With Two Heads (1971) / Guru, the Mad Monk (1970)
    The Man With Two Heads (Never Before Released Director's Cut):
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 89 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Party Sequence - Alternate Version
    *Trailer
    Guru, the Mad Monk (Presented in 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 Versions)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 56 mins
    *Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 & 1.33:1
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Audio Commentary with CineFear's Keith Crocker
    *Remembering Andy Milligan - Interview with Set Photographer Tom Vozza
    *Trailer

Disc 6: Legacy Of Blood / Legacy Of Horror (1978)
    Legacy of Blood (Never Before Released Theatrical Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 77 mins
    *Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Feature:
    *Legacy of Chris - Interview with Actor Chris Broderick
    Legacy of Horror (TV Cut)
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 83 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *Blood or Horror - Interview with Executive Producer Ken Lane
    *TV Spot

Disc 7: Fleshpot on 42nd Street (1973) / Seeds of Sin (1968)
    Fleshpot on 42nd Street
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 87 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Seeds of Sin
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 84 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Features:
    *VAPORS (1965, 32 min)
    *Trailer

Disc 8: Carnage (1984) / Blood (1973)
    Carnage
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 92 mins
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Feature:
    *MONSTROSITY Trailer
    Blood
    Disc Specs:
    *Runtime: 69 mins
    *Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    *Color
    *Closed Captions
    Special Feature:
    *TOGA PARTY (1971, 84 min): Feature film with inserts shot by Milligan

Disc 9: The Bearded Lady's Wake CD - Electronic Music By Frequent Milligan Collaborator Hal Borske
    *Andy Milligan's Venom ALL-NEW 128 Page Book By Stephen Thrower

Order NOW: https://severin-films.com/shop/andy-milligan-collection/

7. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pre-ordered! Looks like a really nice set, both for the box and the contents.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

HUGE Milligan fan and I've been waiting for this since they originally teased it about 2 years ago. Their Al Adamson boxset was amazing, so this can only top that one for me! Pre-ordered (along with their March bundle I'd been meaning to grab as well)!

f.ramses likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I wonder if they're using the Vinegar Syndrome transfers on Fleshpot, Seeds, and Vapors? I saw the AGFA transfer for Fleshpot on TCM and it didn't look so hot.

10. MorallySound

Most likely the VS transfers, as they've done crossover work in the past.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Here's a clean link without the Facebook cookie:
    The Dungeon of Andy Milligan Collection [9-Disc Blu-ray/CD Box Set] $140.00
    https://severin-films.com/shop/andy-milligan-collection/

The Dungeon Bundle $244.00
    - The Dungeon of Andy Milligan Collection [9-Disc Blu-ray/CD Box Set]
    - The Ghastly One Book by Jimmy McDonough
    - Severin Films Hall of Fame Enamel Pin #19: Andy Milligan
    - 42nd Street Apollo Marquee Magnet
    - Four Andy Milligan Cover Art Stickers
    https://severin-films.com/shop/dungeon-bundle/

Severin Films Hall of Fame Enamel Pin #19: Andy Milligan $10.00
    https://severin-films.com/shop/milligan-enamel-pin/

42nd Street Apollo Marquee Magnet $10.00
    https://severin-films.com/shop/marquee-magnet/

With how quickly the Al Adamson set sold this may be worth pre-ordering instead of waiting for Black Friday. I'm not much of a Adamson fan so I was willing to let that go, but while I typically wait for a sale I may have to bite on Milligan. He's more of an... aquired taste... than Adamson but that may not matter to the FOMA crowd.

I can live without the $104 McDonough book however.

12. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

While I totally SUCK at ordering through anything other than amazon, Im gonna try to snag the set this weekend, along with 2 of the pin (one to collect one to wear) and the magnet.
    As someone who grooves on grindhouses, the plays of Williams and Genet, and has run with freaks and leatherfolk since a teen, Andy has a special place for me. (Always wanted to obtain a photo retrospective of Raffine designs too, dare to dream). I already have the book from years ago so I am skipping the new edition. There are directors youd like to meet, there are directors youd like to get an autograph from, and for Andy, I am more like "I really love your films. Feel free to shove your hands down my pants in the balcony." Also love the Midnight video design choice.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

We're getting lots of questions about the masters being used for The Dungeon of Andy Milligan box set. Here is a film by film breakdown of the various sources used to compile this release.

VAPORS was scanned and restored in 4K by Vinegar Syndrome from its 35mm blow-up dupe negative.

THE GHASTLY ONES has been scanned and restored from a 35mm release print. All pre-print elements are believed lost or destroyed.

SEEDS was scanned and restored in 4K by Vinegar Syndrome. This reconstruction of Milligan’s original director’s cut was sourced from a combination of its 16mm camera reversal as well as a 35mm blow-up dupe negative.

THE FILTHY FIVE is represented by its one surviving reel, scanned from a German-language 35mm print with newly created English subtitles.

TORTURE DUNGEON (aka MACABRE) has been scanned and restored from its uncensored 16mm camera reversal, which reflects Andy Milligan’s original director’s cut. Optical credits bearing Milligan’s shooting title MACABRE were never created, so the main title sequence is presented in its initial theatrical version, scanned from a 35mm release print held at the American Genre Film Archive. Audio was assembled from two sources: the 35mm optical soundtrack (which had been edited to conform to an MPAA ‘R’ rating), and the uncensored 16mm mag stripe.

NIGHTBIRDS and THE BODY BENEATH are 2K restorations sourced from their 16mm original camera reversal elements.

BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS (aka THE DEMONS) has been scanned and restored from its uncensored 16mm camera reversal, which reflects Andy Milligan’s original director’s cut, which was X-rated for violence. Optical credits bearing Milligan’s shooting title THE DEMONS were never created, so the title sequences have been sourced from a 35mm blow-up internegative of BLOODTHIRSTY BUTCHERS. Audio was assembled from two sources: the 35mm optical soundtrack (which had been edited to conform to an MPAA ‘R’ rating), and the the uncensored 16mm mag stripe.

THE MAN WITH TWO HEADS (aka DR. JEKYLL AND MR. BLOOD) was scanned and restored from its uncensored 16mm camera reversal, which reflects Andy Milligan’s original director’s cut. This version of the film contains numerous extended and deleted scenes that were removed to secure a PG rating. However, for reasons unknown the edited theatrical cut contains an alternate version of the party sequence, which features different footage than the director’s cut. This version of the party sequence is presented as an extra feature. Optical credits bearing Milligan’s shooting title DR. JEKYLL AND MR. BLOOD were never created, so the title sequence has been sourced from one of the only surviving archival 35mm answer prints, held at the American Genre Film Archive. Audio was assembled from two sources: the 35mm optical soundtrack (which had been edited to conform to an MPAA ‘R’ rating), and the uncensored 16mm mag stripe.

THE RATS ARE COMING – THE WEREWOLVES ARE HERE is presented in two versions: the original unreleased director’s cut, filmed in 1969 as CURSE OF THE FULL MOON; and the 1972 cinema release, rated ‘PG’, which featured additional material shot in 1971. CURSE has been scanned and restored from its 16mm camera reversal. This version of the film was never released. No title sequence was prepared and no final mix was done so two options are available for the soundtrack: the mag track with periodic sections of silence and a version reconstructed from the RATS optical soundtrack negative. RATS was reconstructed using the same 16mm camera reversal as CURSE, with the additional sequences sourced from the 35mm blow-up internegative created for the theatrical release, which is the best condition source element believed to survive. All audio for RATS was transferred from the 35mm optical soundtrack negative.

GURU THE MAD MONK was scanned and restored from a 35mm release print held at the American Genre Film Archive. All pre-print materials are believed lost or destroyed. Due to Milligan’s strange framing style, the film is presented in both 1.33:1 as well as 1.85:1. It is unknown how he preferred the film to be screened.

FLESHPOT ON 42ND STREET was scanned and restored in 4K by Vinegar Syndrome from its 16mm camera reversal. It is presented in 1.33:1, Milligan’s intended aspect ratio.

BLOOD was scanned from a 35mm answer print, as all pre-print materials are believed lost or destroyed.

LEGACY OF BLOOD is presented in two versions: the 1978 theatrical release print, and the edited TV version, LEGACY OF HORROR. The former was scanned from the only known 35mm theatrical release print, from the collection of the film’s producer Ken Lane. All pre-print materials are believed lost or destroyed. The alternate TV version is presented from a video master, as no film elements for this longer cut are believed to survive.

CARNAGE was scanned and restored from its 35mm camera negative.

TOGA PARTY is included in its entirety as a Special Feature with the following text at the head of the film: The 70s were tough for William Mishkin Motion Pictures. The company would often try to reap as much profit from their tepid offerings by making titles available in R, X, and XXX versions. HOT TIMES became the hotter MY EROTIC FANTASIES while THE SLASHER did the rounds as PENETRATION. This practice is not unheard of in the exploitation world in an effort to squeeze every possible cent off films which failed to find an audience first time round.

Another example is the sexing-up of 1977’s musical comedy mess, PELVIS. Andy Milligan was hired to shoot inserts for a new version to cash in on bawdy comedies like ANIMAL HOUSE and the cult of ROCKY HORROR (complete with Frank ‘N Furter endorsement on the poster), under the title TOGA PARTY in late 1979. A disastrous screening where cast members, outraged at the inserts, wreaked havoc in the theatre was the final nail in its coffin and the film disappeared into obscurity.

14. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Holy shit. It had previously said Toga Party was from 71. It is the 79 film. This is too cool. One of my friends is in it and I cant wait to tell her. She has a walk on part in Pelvis, the Straw Weisman film that was recut!!!!!!

MorallySound likes this.
  15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Severin just sent out an email saying that the 3500 units of The Dungeon of Andy Milligan are "going fast."

[​IMG]

Thanks to everyone who has already booked their copy of The Dungeon of Andy Milligan Collection boxset. Response has been phenomenal. And we've sold well over half of the limited edition of 3500 in the first weekend. The bundle sold out quickly but the box set of 8 Blus, 1 CD and a 128-page book "Andy Milligan's Venom" by Stephen Thrower is still available.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yesterday they posted on Facebook that almost half were sold, and today they're saying over half are sold. So they indeed must be going quick. So it's good of them to issue this email. I was going to hold off for no good reason, on principle I guess, but I've put in my order now. Not much chance of these lasting till Black Friday.

I saw during checkout they've got some Milligan stickers too:
    Torture Dungeon Sticker ($3.00)
    The Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves Are Here! Sticker ($3.00)
    Man With Two Heads Sticker ($3.00)
    Bloodthirsty Butchers Sticker ($3.00)

But there's no accompanying images so I didn't consider purchasing them. I can't say I'm enthusiastic about their past design choices so I'd have to see them first before considering a purchase.

17. MorallySound

The stickers were also part of the now sold out Jimmy McDonough book bundle version, so you can see the sticker designs here (which are the original cover art/poster designs): https://severin-films.com/shop/dungeon-bundle/

X-human likes this.
  18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Do you genuinely enjoy these films? Every time I've tried to watch a Milligan or an Adamson movie it's felt like watching slides of my neighbor's vacations. In other words, I SO wanted to get the hell out of his living room LMAO. Not to diminish anyone's enjoyment of these films but I seriously don't see the entertainment value of movies without budgets. Do you have to be inebriated to enjoy these? Serious question.

Paff likes this.
  19. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I'm no fan of "so bad it's good" and have only seen 2 or 3 Milligans but Fleshpot on 42nd Street is a legitimately good film for those who like 70's low budget movies. You do have to get past the odd framing choices though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. MorallySound

Yes, I legitimately enjoy these films. And no, I don't need to use any substances to enjoy them. A budget does not a good (nor a bad) movie make, and there is soooo much cinema to explore and discover where a budget would sincerely hinder what the final output became. Creativity is usually the result of solving problems that are a result of limits, especially budgetary. Sure, lots of these films might be bad, but there's still a lot to discover and uncover in a film or about a filmmaker especially when you've reviewed their complete, or a good portion of, their oeuvre.

dave13, zbinks, Katatonia and 2 others like this.