Severin - Upcoming Blu-Ray releases

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I'll get to it. There will be plenty more after that one.

X-human likes this.
  2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented the DVD years ago when it first came out. I can't recall too much about it anymore, but I do remember liking it. Mary Woronov was the main draw as far as I recall... can't think of anyone else from the film.

X-human likes this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don’t. Honestly I don’t see how Severin has lasted as long as it has with its high amount of quality control problems, but whatever. As long as they continue to make a profit they’ll continue to make substandard product.

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  4. Katatonia

I guess the same is true for companies like VCI though. They're even worse in the quality and QC departments.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I can’t remember the last time that I gave money to VCI, either. Early days of dvd maybe? I had a copy of Whip and the Body from them once upon a time.

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

You know, when Severin announced Grizzly and Day of the Animals, I eagerly bit the bullet. I love both, especially Grizzly. Now, I already had the 2018 release of Grizzly, which looks excellent. And it still does. Now, if I didn't have the Scorpion release, I'd probably have deemed the Severin one perfectly acceptable, but look at the difference:

Scorpion 2018: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=201250&position=1

Severin: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=284085&position=1

Detail is definitely sharper on the Scorpion release, and flesh-tones, while cooler, look more natural to my eyes.

Browsing through Severin titles on Caps-a-holic, it becomes apparent that their feature presentations don't always take up as much disc space as their counterparts on releases of the same titles from other companies, which may account for the soft look their video presentations often have.

russweiss likes this.
  7. Kim Bruun

In all fairness though, sometimes the Severin presentation is superior. I ordered Severin's Beyond the Darkness during the Black Friday sale, even though I already own the 88 Films release. Caps-a-holic doesn't have the technical specs to compare, but Mondo-digital has screenshots for comparison. The 88 Films release is slightly zoomed in, but otherwise I wouldn't say that detail is dramatically different between two. The real difference is in the colors, and in this department, the Severin release is very much preferable. Check out that runny yellow-green tint on the 88 Films release (top):

https://www.mondo-digital.com/buio883.jpg

https://www.mondo-digital.com/buio4.jpg

Steel76 and russweiss like this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Their transfers for italian movies are usually good, but it's often the low bitrate that mess things up.
    I wish they would join forces with Vinegar, and let them handle the encoding of the discs.

When it comes to House on the edge of the Park, I'll wait for a euro release. Too bad BBFC still have problem with sexual violence in movies, as I bet Arrow could have made an amazing release for the movie...

Zombie Dude and Kim Bruun like this.
  9. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It appears thst 88 film will be releasing night of the demon in the UK in February, no details so far about the release but an option for all you who live in Europe.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Nice, I'll get that one instead, as their encodings are usually solid.

hots4 likes this.
  11. Kim Bruun

Yeah, I noticed that too - after I had pre-ordered. I'm hoping/expecting the releases to be more or less identical. Should the 88 Films release be markedly superior, I know I'll be tempted to get that as well. I was never a completist, but I am a double dipper for movies I really like.

hots4 likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I received the Nasty Habits box and was happy to see that the case is the same style as Vinegar Syndrome's Forgotten Gialli boxes. I prefer these to box sets that are open ended or fold open.

wago70 and dave13 like this.
  13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Their Lenzi Baker set was the same. Even Arrow has done it, with their Daimajin set. I agree, I really love that packaging design.

14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Imprint has also done packaging in that Vinegar Syndrome open-from-the-top style. I guess everybody got on the bandwagon. Can no one think for themselves anymore?

15. russweiss

The most recent Criterion Once Upon a Time in China box is still using a flip open still packaging.

16. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Criterion wants to win a Worst Packaging award - that's for sure.

dave13 likes this.
  17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've made a few bad decisions with blu ray packaging. Their first blu ray cases that were cardboard sleeves. Their short-lived combo packs that were half a foot thick. But some of their deluxe releases have been pretty nice, if a little understated. Their (solo) Godzilla release. The Magnificent Ambersons and Night of the Living Dead.

18. Katatonia

My Black Friday shipment arrived this morning from Severin, which has to be a record to receive it that quickly from them. Surprisingly, they used Vinegar Syndrome -style thicker/embossed Slipcovers for Night of the Demon, Ballad on Blood, House on the Edge of the Park and Bloody Pit of Horror.

I kind of doubt they'll use them on their future standard retail releases that include a Slipcover, but these are so much nicer than their usually crappy thin ones that often fit cases tighter than a...

There was also the promised $20 gift card included in the box to make up for the website troubles on the first night/day of the sale. I guess it paid to get a headache and order early this time around.

russweiss and satans-sadists like this.
  19. russweiss

Glad to hear about the slipcovers as well as the gift card. I have yet to receive shipping notification but I'm not in a hurry.

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So will releases like Blood for Dracula and Night of the Demon be for sale on other sites or are they exclusive to Severin?