Shallow Grave (1987)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Cujo108, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I hadn't seen this one in a long time, but I reaquainted myself with it the other night. Three annoying girls and their more tolerable friend are on their way to Ft. Lauderdale when they have a blowout that strands them on the side of a rural Georgia road. One of them has to take a leak, so she goes off into the woods. There, she sees a man murder his lover. One thing leads to another, and the killer, who happens to be the local sheriff, looks to eliminate all witnesses.

I loved the film before, and I think I love it even more now. While it's not exactly a full-blooded slasher, I'd say it's close enough, and as such, it's certainly one of the more effective entries in the subgenre. Acting is stronger than the norm, and the authentic southern atmosphere lends the film an added boost in flavor. Tony March is solid as the murderous sheriff. He's quite intimidating (maybe it's the uniform?), and his mental slide from confliction to warped mania manages to unnerve. You're left just waiting for him to explode. Now, I admittedly wanted these girls to die from the moment we meet them. Only Carol Cadby as Patty is at all likable. Somehow, as the film went on, I actually managed to warm up to Sue Ellen as well. This is important, as there needs to be some emotional weight for one to be invested in their attempts to get Deputy Tom Law to believe them. And emotional weight there is... I wanted to reach into the screen and knock some sense into Law when he
    left Cadby alone in the jail cell despite her pleading with him not to. The resulting murder scene is the film's strongest moment.

Shallow Grave is a winner, slasher or not. Immersed in rural, small town atmosphere and containing a real sense of futility, I'm glad to have this sitting on my VHS shelf. Any other fans of this flick?

2. gjkendall

gjkendall Guest

I thought this was going to be about the Ewan McGregor film that is just about to come out in a SE!

3. streetlight

streetlight Member

i have the vhs. nothing too spectacular. One of the girls, the brunette, was smokin hot though. I'll probably never watch it again but I'm keeping it for my collection

4. gore

gore Guest

You got a fan here as well, the vhs I have is in pretty bad shape. Anyone know of a good dvd rip of it? ;)

5. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I have wanted to see this one.I'm a fan of Donna Baltron's cheesecake performances as the awkward,dorky best friend(Judy in Hide And Go Shriek).By the way,if you haven't seen her hysterical strip tease on the aforementioned Skip Schoolnik slasher ,you haven't truly experienced cheese.When she points her toes like a ballerina while undressing,I lose it every time. One more of these roles and I might well O.D.on Baltron-esque goodness.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Is Danny Boyle gonna actually win an Oscar this year?

7. Vance Vandy

Vance Vandy Member

I watched this for the first time the other night. I've gotta' agree with the OP that this is really good! The killshot point blank to the one girl's head was a surprise.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Glad to see there are others out there who enjoy (or have even seen!) this great flick! Definitely one of the more underrated 80s slashers out there.

The first 20 minutes are really cheesy, but once they cross paths with the killer I was glued to the screen until the end. It is fun, suspenseful, and at times even downright disturbing. The bra strangulation scene really got under my skin.

Excellent movie, it is a shame most people have never even heard of it.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, it's not bad. The whole walking-in-on-the-killer and his wife bit offers a sleazy but effective setup for the rest of the show. The leading ladies are fun to watch - not really likable, but enjoyable in a sort of tough, cheeky Linnea Quigley sort of way. The ending draws on for a bit too long, but it's all still fun enough. Wonder if we'll ever see this one get a proper release on DVD...

10. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

right owner can't find the 35mm negatives. He only have a vhs.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

A shame. I'll bet that's the state of a lot of these obscure slashers that are MIA on DVD. Thanks for letting us know, Bill.

12. CPT HOOK

That is a shame. This one is ripe for rediscovery.

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Not that it is ideal, put are there prints floating around?

14. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

no prints. If I find one, I will get the usual nasty complaint like SWEET SIXTEEN and other films. I wish people understand that these 35mm are usually thrown away.

15. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

That's too bad. Can't you put a disclaimer on the DVD, like, "Hey, it's the best we got, kids"?

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Well I wouldn't complain. Bill - don't assume we're all out to get you... I love your company! I only ask because if memory serves the Shock Waves DVD was taken from a print (missing negs) and maybe even I Drink Your Blood (taken from Durston's personal print?). Sometimes these things end up laying around (as I'm sure you know).

17. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

Boy, am I glad more people have heard of this. Rented it yeaaaaars ago and found myself completely engaged. I had no idea what I was in for. It's really suspenseful and has that great rural small town paranoia thing going on where no matter where you turn, you're trapped.

Someone HAS to put this out on DVD someday. It's too good not to.

18. CPT HOOK

Found this online and thought it was interesting. It is an advanced pre-production advertisement for Shallow Grave, originally published in a magazine.

[​IMG]

19. CPT HOOK

This great little movie is now available on Amazon Prime streaming! Watch it!

Workshed likes this.