Shaun of the Dead VS Zombieland

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 6, 2009.

?

Battle of the Zombie Comedies

1. Shaun of the Dead

60.9%
  2. Zombieland

39.1%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Does Zombieland hold enough weight with horror fans to compete with Shaun of the Dead?

2. AndresG

AndresG Member

nah, Shaun of the Dead is far better imo.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i haven't actually seen zombieland yet, but i have no problem voting for shaun. ive seen the zombieland trailers, and while it does look good, theres no way it can be as good as shaun of the dead.

4. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Zombieland. I hated Shaun of the Dead. It did absolutely nothing for me and the characters were annoying.

5. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

This is pretty close. Neither is a favorite of mine, but I would give a slight edge to Shaun of the Dead.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i liked zombieland better. the first time i saw shaun of the dead i didn't like it but with repeated viewings i liked it better

7. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Really like them both, but for me Zombieland comes out slightly ahead of Shaun.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Shaun of the Dead

9. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

easy Zombieland was just kick ass awesome, Shaun was ok

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Saw them both in the theater.ZOMBIELAND is great fun but I have to go with SHAUN,it just really clicked with me.

11. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoyed Zombieland, Shaun Of The Dead is the better film.

12. Kodiac Jack

Kodiac Jack New Member

I loved Zombieland. Shaun of the Dead was funny at first. Then it just got too stale for me.

13. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I had to go with SHAUN OF THE DEAD. ZOMBIELAND was hilarious and a great film to boot - but SHAUN OF THE DEAD just has a bit more going for it for me.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I got to say i'm very surprised on how this poll is turning out.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

This is a real tough one.

But FIRST & FOREMOST these two films are yes horror comedies, but very different. Its like two different worlds. British humor vs American humor. One is like a love/friendship story with zombies around it(SOTD) Its almost, (I said almost) like a gimmick film. Made just to pay homage to Romero. See how many references we can get into the film. Don't get me wrong, it was made very well. The other is a straight forward zombies rule the earth, try to survive fun horror action movie.

I've seen Shaun of the Dead over 12 times. But at my recent viewing (with 2 people that never seen the film) I felt a little tired of the movie. Maybe is was the fact that the other 2 people barely laughed at any of the humor and said the film was kinda "boring" Which before hand I was so exited to show them the movie(they dig horror, by the way & like zombie films.) It felt weird. Like maybe Shaun of the Dead is getting a little stale because I've seen it so many times. Maybe you got to be in the mood for the British humor. Hard to explain. Anybody understand what I mean, by being in the mood thing?

Strange; this never happened with Return of the Living Dead. Seen that flick tons of times. Never gets old. (even ROTLD part 2) I still like a lot.

Anyway, I only seen Zombieland 1 time. It was really good. But will it hold up, I don't know? My gut feeling is that it will for me, and be in the category of ROTLD.

So that's why I picked Zombieland, by a slight edge.

Which is why I think there should have been a third choice. Going with the horror comedy w/ zombies theme. ROTLD should be there to compare. Which of course for me, would have been my pick hands down.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I picked Zombieland. Love both films but laughed and had more fun with Zombieland.

Plus Zombieland had one of the coolest opening credits sequences I've ever seen. Metallica rocks!

17. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Never been a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, but I've absolutely no doubt the same lack of comic staying power will be shown to be a major trait of Zombieland. Right now I think its still propped up by its shiny newness and a still fresh "walk out of the theater high". Once the newness wears off, and it's merit has to age on the shelf for several years like SotD, it will sink to the lesser status it belongs at.

18. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I don't know about that. Woody plays such a great and entertaining character that I think he carries the movie now and will in the future. Also I don't think the cameo will ever get old. Shaun is certainly more cleverly written but as of right now I think I enjoyed watching Zombieland more. A film can be technically perfect but still be less entertaining to watch than a flawed movie. And I don't think Zombieland was very flawed at all considering its main goal: Entertainment.

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow. Considering all the fawning over Shaun of the Dead (now regularly making All Time Horror Lists), I'm rather surprised by this poll too. I was ignoring it before but now I might check it out...

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I agree. And the cameo will be more of relevant once/if
    Ghostbusters 3
    comes out. Also Shaun of the Dead, while being a great film, only unfolds its true impact if the viewer is familiar with all the homages. IMO, this is what gives Shaun a better rating. Its all those inside nods & jokes. For viewers that barely ever watch zombie films, Shaun is not as good. If you watch Shaun with someone that has not seen NOTLD, you will constantly having to explain all the references & the reason why your the only one laughing in the room. Unlike Zombieland, just about anybody can enjoy, nothing really to explain.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009