Shock Waves

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Erich, Dec 10, 2003.

1. InkyWretch

InkyWretch Guest

I agree completely. That shot stayed with me for years. I can't even look at the box cover without feeling a little shudder. I know it's not your standard zombie movie, but I thought it really worked. I think the main difference between the Shockwaves zombies and traditional zombies is that the former kill for the sake of killing rather than eating. It made them much more rational, in a sense, although that's a strange word to apply to zombies.

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I finally saw this for the first time tonight. I have to say the pacing is very slow and nothing much happens in the first 45 min. The atmosphere is great. The zombies look great. The acting is great. All in all, a very good film, but very slow and because of that, I can't see sitting through repeat viewings! Also, the original release of the film got a PG rating. Why does the Blue Underground DVD show unrated? A ploy for sales, maybe? The film definitely was PG material.

3. Marka1620

Marka1620 Guest

As you can see by my icon, I love this movie.

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Shock Waves is finally getting released on Blu-ray from Blue Underground on October 28th. Amazon now has it available to pre-order.

5. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

One of the BU titles I have been waiting for on BD. Love this movie.

6. Franco

Franco Weekender

7. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Watching the grainy old dvd right now...it's been a while...can't wait for the blu!

8. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Wonder how much of an improvement the Blu will be ? The negative was lost, the film was sourced for DVD from the director's own 35mm print. Shot on Super 16 too.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If my memory serves, they just said that the vault materials "disappeared" years ago and could no longer be located. They might have been able to finally track them down...or at least found a better print to use.

Somebody over on Blu-ray.com said BU confirmed that "it's a fresh 2K scan of a 35mm print."

10. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I believe the print that was used for the DVD came from a 16mm print. It certainly looked it. But that's about to be rectified as it seems we're getting a new 2K master from a 35mm print. Best news I've heard in a long time.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I wonder if they have located a print that has those missing scenes of bodies floating to the surface of the sea which is then discussed by the boat passengers in a later scene.

13. JamesBrummel2

JamesBrummel2 New Member

Sad to say one of my favorite Nazi Zombies passed away recently. Maeder was covering the film for a local paper and was recruited to zombie up. Or something like that. Awesome movie, the music and the stylish but unobtrusive cinematography sold me. I haven't seen it in a decade but can hear the scare music now. can't wait for a BD, although I agree the grainy DVD has a great feel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/newser-jay-maeder-dead-67-article-1.1888581

14. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A shame about Mr. Maeder. I had read about how he wrangled his way into SHOCK WAVES, great story. Rest In Peace.

15. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

What's the story with the missing scene? Has anyone actually seen it? I don't remember it being in the old VHS release either.

16. rijir

rijir Member

In the DVD commentary they mention a scene cut where they go aboard the old rusted Nazi ship.

17. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I guess I never listened to the commentary. I suppose that's what I'll be doing tonight!

18. JamesBrummel2

JamesBrummel2 New Member

Wasn't there a shot of the "ghost" ship carradine mentions, a small boat with a skeleton or something lashed to it?

19. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Looking forward to this blu-ray! What is the summer camp movie where the kids meet in the rec hall for movie night and Shockwaves is playing? Always meant to ask that.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

If it turns out that there's going to be more footage shown for Shock Waves in the upcoming BD release I'm going to be on cloud 9. Not that it needs it, but extra footage is always interesting, especially for movies we really like. What other reason could there be for a 2-month delay??