Should I buy a 4K player before getting a 4K TV?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So there's refurbished 4K UHD players on the Best Buy (Canada) website for CDN $119.99. I don't own a 4K TV yet, since my current LED 1080p is only 4-5 years old but I know when I do eventually get one I'm gonna want to have some 4K discs. There are a few 4K titles that I really really wanted to get specifically because the corresponding Blu-rays used the old masters from a decade ago (Blade Runner, Unforgiven, Starship Troopers, Mission: Impossible, Grease apparently doesn't have as much noticeable DNR as the Blu-ray, etc.)

Would there still be a noticeable difference with these titles? I know you're downscaling by like 50% but I'm thinking on my 42" TV they would just look that much sharper. And since they used the new transfers it would still be a noticeable difference compared to the Blu-rays. I don't plan on totally replacing my Blu-ray collection with UHD. Honestly, I don't have it in me to build my collection all over again, plus I feel like a lot of the horror/obscure/cult titles I own will never see the light of day on UHD and I'm satisfied with the quality of most of them. I was hesitant towards going UHD for a while because I didn't want to dish out a ton of money for a player, but $120 ain't bad. That would be worth it to me.

What do you guys think? Have any of you done this? How would these titles look on my 1080p LED?

~Matt

Katatonia likes this.
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

It won't be by much but the difference may very well be noticeable, it was for me when I played some 4K demos on my HTPC (1080P output, 1080P TV); everything seemed a bit sharper on all of them. Same deal with BDs, if you have a player that can hook up to a SD TV then playing the BD will typically look slightly better than the DVD played on the same player and TV.

Katatonia and Matt89 like this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don’t see the point. By the time you get the TV the player will be beyond its warranty and the price on players will have dropped. Just buy 4K discs that come with the blu ray included until then. I highly doubt that your TV can decode a UHD signal anyways unless you have some sort of external device to down-convert it first. Or is that a function built into most players?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    x666x likes this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

My understanding is that this should be the case, but now that you mention this it might be a good idea for Matt89 to check on whether whatever specific model he's looking at will output in 1080P just to play it safe.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I have a 4k player (Xbox One) and I don't have a 4k TV yet.

I got the UK 4K steelbook of suspiria, I've played both discs and both output pretty much the same on my 1080P TV,

Obviously this is a different player than the one your interested in, but I would pressure the results would be the same.

Katatonia likes this.
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hmm, so any 4K player will indeed work fine on a standard HDTV? That's one thing that I've honestly never really understood clearly.

7. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Yes but without a 4K TV your not getting the full dynamic range. Would you put a V8 engine on a bmx bike??

Katatonia likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I was the same way. I had a 4K player and several 4K movies prior to buying my 4k TV. There was no question that I was going to buy the TV so I figured why not get a head start.

Katatonia likes this.
  9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Depends on how long you keep things. If you will use the new player for the next 10 years, go 4K. Especially at that price. If you are going to replace it in only 5 years, however, spend the same money on a better 2K player, preferably region free.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Katatonia

That's kinda what I've been doing when buying "new" movies. I go for the 4K UHD/Blu-ray Combos if they're only like $5 or so more and the UHD gets solid reviews first. I'm definitely not buying many 4K releases though, until I actually need a new 4K TV that is.

11. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Your TV isn't that old really wish you had just bought a 4K TV instead.

12. Katatonia

I could have... but it was when 4K TV's were first starting to be released, and they were pricy and most didn't even have HDR then. I'm fine with having a good 3D HDTV until I need to upgrade.

13. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well your going to have it for probably at least another 9 years. :confused: By then all those 4K blu rays you have will be obsolete. :eek:

14. Katatonia

Nah, I'll upgrade way before that. I don't even own that many 4K discs, and they are all in combo packs.

15. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Hopefully you get a good deal on the 4KTV. Especially sense I see so many 4K's constantly on sale. Though I'm not sure if the TVs on sale are 4KHDR.

16. Katatonia

By the time I need to upgrade, OLED 4K TV's will even be more affordable.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? o_O So when are we upgrading?

Katatonia likes this.
  18. Katatonia

Pfft, no time soon. :cool:

Dobby likes this.
  19. Stige

Stige Active Member

Just be prepared for one added expense after the other , my "future proof" reciever had Hdmi2.2 but ,gosh, that wasn't right because HDMI 2.0A is for HDR content and to "properly send the signals" you need new Hdmi cables as well. My new TV has the functions needed ( 3D, HDR, Dolby vision etc) but the player only reads HDR ( no plans for dolby vision support it's a panasonic) and to be honest you notice an increased detail only when you watch the 4K disc and then check the bonus features on the blu ray right after. And some of the titles I have ( Alien Covenant comes to mind) with mostly digital scenes look weird and fake.

Just my two cents.

And when all the correct equipment is in place the two players I tried sent out 4K signals, otherwise the players "downsized" to SDR . Maybe there are players that don't do that?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

UHD are coming down in price a bit right now, but you are still paying a premium to see something DOWN converted back to 1080p. And we haven't yet seen the bottom dollar of UHD. So most discs you buy now you could probably get $10 cheaper in a few years. I don't see much advantage of building a UHD library right now this minute.

I've picked up a few UHD releases out concern that they will go OOP but any mainstays I've been holding off on.

There are no HDMI 2.0A HDR cables. In the digital world a cable is a cable. It's just raw data. It's the equipment on either end that has to be able to handle HDR.

There are salesmen who try to sell high quality cables but when transferring ones and zeros they've either got 'em or they don't. It's not like the old days of gauges for analog over cables.