Should I buy a 4K player before getting a 4K TV?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Matt89, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Stige

Stige Active Member

Hmm All I know is when I bought Hdmi cable (the TV input says hdmi2.0a my reciever shows Hdmi 2.2) with 18mbps capability the TV registered a 4K HDR signal( it didn't when I used my former cables) for the first time.
    Maybe the salespeople saw an easy to fool moron when I showed up.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well if it works for you it works for you. It's been awhile for me, so I looked into it an CNET does recommend higher "bandwidth" cables: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-hdmi-cable-should-i-buy/

Apparently newer ones have ethernet capabilities but I'm not seeing anything that says HDR utilizes ethernet. But it's not like cheaper HDMI cables are missing pins or wires or something. So I'm having a hard time buying that there's a significant difference like getting HDR or not. Considering how little this seems to come up online it doesn't seem to be a solid fact.

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

I probably misunderstood the sales guy , he just said a high speed hdmi cable was needed for the additional 4K abilities ( and thats what it took for me)

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I think all HDMI cables sold these days are high speed, even the cheap ones.

I just laugh at the salesmen, who want to sell you an uber expensive cable, because "you´re gonna get sharper picture and better colors" :D