Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It sounds just like the same rampant speculation all over the net; the kind of speculation any "entertainment journalist" would have heard, could find credible, and would easy repeat in casual conversation. The fact that we don't know the journalist's name almost makes this sound more credible, but if we were to peg a name to it we'd probably say they don't know anymore than we already do; which isn't much. So we're basically back where we started.

Now who the hell calls it "philm"? :confused:

zbinks likes this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Dipshits. Dipshits do.

It's bad enough that certain people refer to themselves as "phans" in regards to this movie, but taking that awful pun beyond that is pure dipshittery in my opinion. See? I can make up new words, too!

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Sounds phalse.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Maybe it could be true. I mean the UK DVD set had all the films so maybe they can get them all together again with the bluray set.

5. Workshed

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

7. maybrick

I'm staying away from reviews until I see it for myself.

8. Workshed

Don Coscarelli interview about Phantasm beginnings and endings.

much more at the above link.

9. Dave

Dave Pimp

Good time to steer clear of this thread if you don't want peoples opinions on Ravager.

I rented it today from Vudu. I expected cheap effects and got them. I was a bit surprised by the amateur look of the movie, however. Is this the first one not shot on film? I suspect so. I really wanted to like it. Really wanted to. But I just wasn't crazy about it. It was fun to see most of the gang back in action for sure, particularly with Angus passing away recently. I was left thinking: Would I rather nothing or would I rather this? I don't know the answer. I haven't seen Part IV in so long. I'm going to revisit that - I'll probably buy the HD copy from Amazon. I will likely revisit the first four and then come up with better thoughts on how I feel about Ravager.

10. maybrick

My point of view is, this movie was shot completely under the radar with no budget to speak of. It was a total surprise and we are lucky to get it at all. I'm with Don that I was content with how Oblivion ended the series, but there is no point in bitching about the obvious drawbacks this might have because as far as I'm concerned this is just a bonus for hardcore fans of the series and nobody else.

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it yet.
    But yeah, it's the cheap CGI and the fact that is was shot on digital video, that gives it the "SyFy" look.

But if they shot in on 35mm, like the first four, it would have increased the budget, and I guess they couldn't afford it this time.

I was disappointed by both part 3 and 4.
    So I'm keeping my expectations low this time.

Though it still will be great to finally have a proper ending (hopefully), and seeing the gang back together, for one last ride.

Edit: Going to watch Ravager soon. I'll let you know what I think tonight.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  12. Steel76

And now I just finished the movie.

I liked it!
    Yes, it has flaws, and the visual FX can look pretty damn mediocre at times, but even the first 4 wasn't always top notch witch their optical/visual FX either.
    The movie was entertaining enough, that I could forgive some of the shortcomings, during the more "epic" green screen moments.
    Many of the CGI shots that looked awful in the teaser trailer, have been improved on.
    I just wish they had more time and money, to improve some of the FX shots at the end.
    Thankfully we get some practical sphere and blood action as well.

Yes, it's shot on digital video, but it didn't look as bad as I expected.
    Some shots looked cheap, but at times, during the daytime shots, it looked pretty damn good.

There are plently of WTF moments, and I was just as confused as Reggie, at what was real and not :D
    Angus, once again, delivered as Tall Man. It's sad that he didn't get to see the end results :(

I was more entertained by this one, than part 4, since it didn't feel like half a movie, with deleted scenes spliced in, to fill out the runtime (even though I enjoyed some of them).
    And the ending was more satisfying too me. Though after seeing this one, I might give part 4 another chance.
    Thankfully, we don't get any stupid comic relief zombies, like in part 3, and the sidekicks wasn't annoying.
    Too bad it was so short, as I wanted more, when the end credits began to roll.
    But don't stop watching, as there is one more scene after the first couple of credits pop up.

Like Maybrick said, this is for the hardcore fans.
    If a newcomer was jumping on board now, they would be completely lost, and would probably hate it.
    It's nowhere near as great as the first two (my favorites), but keep your expectations in check (very low budget and mediocre FX), and you might end up enjoying it as well.

I'm gonna rewatch the entire series (been over a decade since I did that), incl this one, to see how it really stacks up with the rest of them, before I give my final judgement.

Zombie Dude, maybrick and Mok like this.
  13. Dave

Dave Pimp

I was definitely smiling every time Angus was on the screen. I read a recent interview with Don that Angus got to see a close-to-final cut of the movie a few months before he passed, and that he was happy with it.

Harry Warden, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  14. Steel76

Glad to know he was happy with the results :)

15. sade

sade Member

Got to watch it last night. It kind of met my expectations (fairly low). Does anyone know the budget for it? I cannot believe a crap fest like Ghostbusters gets $140M+ and this one probably not even 2-3% of it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

A quick online search indicates 300k was the budget. Which was roughly the same as the original in 1979.

17. Steel76

Damn, that's an insanely low budget :eek:

18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I enjoyed it.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Man, I can't believe, we had to wait about 2 and a half years, after the first trailer was unleashed upon us, until we finally got to see the film. :eek:
    Worth it :D

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

300k I think they have done a great job then with that budget, I'm half way through and I am enjoying it, I don't think it looks as cheap as some have said and budget suggests, effects have been pretty solid (apart from the horse scene) looking forward to second half.