Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm currently downloading it. I'd put money towards it if it weren't for the box set that is going to come out which I'll buy.
    Looking forward to checking this out. My expectations aren't high so I'm hoping that helps.

Plus I see some of you don't like Phantasm 3 that much but it's one of my favorites! From memory the trailer played at the start of the Elm Street 2 vhs I rented for the first time back in the day and was my first glimpse at the Phantasm world. Pretty sure everyone with me (I was having a birthday movie night) was pretty intrigued about the film and the trailer got a better reaction than NOES 2 did when it finished lol.
    I ended up catching it on late night tv sometime later which I taped. I always thought it was really fun and offered a bit of everything.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it and thought they did an alright job on such a small budget. It felt a lot like Oblivion (with an all over the place plot). The effects aren't great. Some are passable, others don't fare quite as well. Some of the apocalyptic scenes looked surprisingly good but the film did feel too digital at times, kind of like a web series (which I'm pretty sure is what Phantasm V originally was).
    It's definitely worth checking out though as Reggie has some good, funny lines; it's Scrimm's farewell as the Tall man and the gang is all back; I just don't know if it will hold up well on repeated viewings.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I liked it. Easily my least favorite but I liked it. What took me by surprise is this isn't really a sequel much at all. It doesn't continue the story from Part 4 except in reference to it in one scene as a dream Mike had. So really, Phantasms I-IV were all about Mike's dreams (with maybe the Reggie parts in II-IV taking place in the "real" world), but Ravager is just Reggie's. Maybe it was all of the desert walking and dimension hopping but I got a Dark Tower vibe from it. I'll need to watch it again before my rental from Amazon ends.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It's nice to hear that Angus was happy with the film since it was his last. I just want a blu box set of all of the Phantasm movies. Fingers crossed.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Checked it out in a theater and had a smile on my face throughout. It's not the best of the series, but it's not the worst either. A nice combo of the action in II with the multiple timelines of IV. The thing I enjoyed the most was the plot line involving Reggie "getting sick" (trying to avoid spoilers). It harkened back to the ending of the original and injected a lot of heart into the film. Those expecting the series to wrap up in a nice bow will be disappointed, but I was satisfied with how things ended.

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Due to my seizure/shoulder surgery I've been unable to speak about this film at length and I finally want to.

I've watched it a few times now. I LOVE this franchise and consider the original film to be a horror masterpiece and Ravager was one of my most anticipated movies of the year. I knew before the movie was announced that it would be done cheaply (wasn't the reason Phantasm's End was never made was because of budget?)

But honestly the low budget never bothered me. Don't get me wrong the CGI isn't good but there's so much heart and love put into the final product that some of the "unwatchable" comments I've seen on the web kind of baffle me. David Hartman clearly has a lot of passion for the franchise and Coscarelli was smart to put him in charge.

I love the psychological aspect of it as it reminded me of the original and the movie truly sold me on feeling apocalyptic. The entire original original cast did a great job, especially Bannister and Scrimm.

My only real issues is I felt it was a little too rushed and the character of Chunk was pretty blah.

Ravager delivered exactly what I wanted and for that I am happy.

7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Two great posts. I really want to see this now, especially since it was Angus's last film. Glad to hear people do like the film despite any flaws.

fceurich39 and Steel76 like this.
  8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

PHANTASM REMASTERED BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES:
    **New 5.1 Surround Sound
    **Original Mono Track
    **Audio Commentary with Director & Writer Don Coscarelli, Michael Baldwin (Mike), Angus Scrimm (The Tall Man), and Bill Thornbury (Jody)
    **Graveyard Carz Episode
    **Interviews from 1979 with Don Coscarelli and Angus Scrimm
    **Deleted Scenes
    **Trailers
    PHANTASM RAVAGER BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES:
    **Audio Commentary with Director David Hartman and Writer / Producer Don Coscarelli
    **Behind the Scenes
    **Deleted Scenes
    **Phuntasm: Bloopers and Outtakes
    **Trailer

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Finally got around to checking this out. Phantasm has always had a special charm to it. Its as though you can tell these guys are friends outside of the film and hang out in their basements playing music and coming up with crazy ideas for movies. Its always been make-shifty (like a four barrel shotgun taped together) but somehow infectiously fascinating and Ravager was quite satisfying in all regards. Loved it.

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

well PHANS tomorrow is the day looks like walmart stores will carry the dvd of phantasm ravager for 12.96 no word if they will have the blu-ray or not same goes for the 1st film
    bestbuy stores might carry both Phantasm remastered and phantasm ravager blu-rays for 14.99 each check store stock status online tomorrow