Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Coscarelli not directing and only supervising does NOT make me feel any better. Just like "Presented by Sam Raimi" means diddly squat, this means that this will be just another first-timer getting his feet wet by directing a horror movie. So how much of "Paranormal Activity" are we going to see in Phantasm V?

2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Man, that was the 70's.

Today, David DeCoteau shoots nearly everything he does at his house. Takes on a whole different vibe... not the one you'd expect.

3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

This doesn't bother me at all. At least Coscarelli has SOME involvement, better that than nothing at all.

Anyway, uber excited for this!!! :D

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right man, I truly do. If this turns out to be an appropriate conclusion, then I'll be just as happy as everyone else. But that just seems like a really long shot, and the fact that Coscarelli didn't direct it is definitely not a good sign.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

On one hand I'm very excited for Phantasm V. On the other, I thought IV was a PERFECT closure to the series, so while it's great we're adding to the legacy, I hope it packs a finale that does justice to the story.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I also am very content with the way they wrapped it up with Oblivion. But if I have any fear, it's that it's been so long that inevitably there's going to be a ton of folks who will be disappointed in what is made unless it has production value equal to or greater than Phantasm 2 did. Honestly, I just don't see that happening. But as long as they stick to trying to please the hardcore Phans among us and forget about everybody else then it should turn out okay.

Without knowing any more, if I was to take a guess I would say that only the principle photography has been shot. I imagine that there'd have to still be a ton of post production work left to finish (special effects, retakes, editing and the like). There's just no way that in this day and age they have even close to having a finished product on their hands without it ever being leaked.

7. sade

sade Active Member

I will need to revisit IV. All I can remember is being mostly flashbacks/footage from the other ones.

8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I don´t know... Coscarelli not being behind the wheel is a bit worrying, and so is the big secret behind the making of the film.
    I wonder if the original cast are the leads in the movie, or if it´s only cameos?
    Will keep my expectations low for the time being.
    This better not be an ultra cheap found-footage installment ;)

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I'm concerned is that the Shock Til You Drop post phrased it this way:

It's certainly open to interpretation, but it sounds like they could just be a bunch of cameos. Hopefully not.

10. maybrick

This series has absolutely no future at all if they don't introduce some new blood. Scrimm realistically only has a few years left to live and Reggie is close to 70. The original series ended with Oblivion as far as I'm concerned so if Coscarelli wants to take this opportunity to segue into a new direction but keep it in the same universe then I'm all for it. It's either doing it this way or the dreaded remake/reboot. Take your pick.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

OK, I choose a continuation of the preceding storyline with original cast members or nothing at all. I don't want to see some hack fresh out of music video school getting his feet wet with just another entry into a popular franchise. Save that for the next Halloween or Children of the Corn sequel. Let's vote: Yay or nay for Phantasm V: The Lost Tapes of a Tall Man Engaged In Paranormal Activity, Part 1 starring Channing Tatum and Lady Gaga

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't mean to sound like a kvetching phan-boy or anything, but unless this turns out to be a worthy sequel in terms of story, tone, and character, then I would just as soon they leave it well-enough alone. Low-budget is fine - IV was practically no-budget, and it still fits well. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't want to be all doom and gloom, so I'll hold out hope. But more often than not, we usually end up getting burned by projects like this...

13. maybrick

It has already been confirmed that it stars the original cast, but there's no harm in beginning to make a transition for future installments. All of this fear of what might be is unfounded for the moment. "Fear is the killer."

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I think Children of the Corn is probably dead now.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

is that a Dune reference?

I must not fear
    Fear is the mind-killer
    Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

16. maybrick

:eek2: uh, no. It's a Phantasm one.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

oh, ok. I guess that makes more sense. :D I honestly don't remember that line from Phantasm, though. It's been a while since I watched it...

18. maybrick

The scene is similar to one in Dune. It's where Mike sticks his hand in the box at the psychic's house.

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Honestly I'm just happy to have it. If it sucks, I'll ignore it, just like I do Matrix 2 and 3.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

the last time I watched matrix 2 and 3, they weren't as bad as I remembered...still not good, but not as bad.