Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yeah I have heard that before. Gave them repeat viewings. Hated them more. The first one works great on its own. I just forget about the sequels.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll give a Phantasm sequel much more of a chance than other film franchises, as the series' following is all hard-core fans. Not casual fans like F13, Halloween, Nightmare, Hellraiser, et al. Phantasm never got mainstream recognition, it was just a little too weird. So all sequels were labors of love, not so much cashing in on a trend.

Not sure if this will be any good, if it's not then I'll just stick with the first four films. As long as they don't try some crap to pervert the original films, like The Tall Man is really Mike and Jody's father or something.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Your only contradict yourself by your remarks. Tell me, did Coscarelli shoot any kind of "Paranormal Activity" when he started making movies in 1975?

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I'm not contradicting anything - you didn't "get" my comments.

5. rift

rift New Member

Cautiously optimistic. I don't have a problem with someone new writing and directing it. I mean, we all saw parts II-IV right? You're really clamoring for more of the same of that? I think a new perspective could give the series a much-needed shot in the arm. It's not like anyone wanted George Lucas to write/direct Episode 7, right?

6. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

The point is that Coscarelli had an underlying theme and vision, and new direction without what the previous 4 films allude to could essentially be the intellectual equivalency to a remake. With his blessing though, this could be fine.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Raimi also gave his blessing, and that turned out to be a love it or hate it kind of thing. The key difference I see here is that Raimi gave his blessing for a remake; Coscarelli gave his blessing for a direct sequel. In the intervening years Raimi had gone on to become a major Hollywood Film Director. The Evil Dead was merely a stepping stone for "greater" things. In contrast, Phantasm has always been considered Coscarelli's greatest success. It's his baby, and as such he has been very protective and proud of it down through the years. I would frankly be flabbergasted if he let some untalented upstart come in and ruin the series. If he wanted to do that then he could have done it way back in the 90s.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Gee, really?

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Given that, though, why wouldn't he direct it himself? If Peter Jackson passed a sequel to Braindead on to a newbie director, I'd understand because he's moved on to a different scale of movie-making. If George Romero passed a new Dead sequel onto somebody else, I'd understand that too because he's getting pretty old and at some point will probably not have the energy to keep going. But I just can't understand why somebody like Coscarelli, who is still making oddball, small-budget films, and appears to still have a lot of enthusiasm for the industry, would pass this on to somebody else. It's not like he's super busy, or anything. He has literally made only 2 films since Phantasm IV came out 16 years ago!

10. maybrick

That's a good question that'll have to be answered by Coscarelli himself at some point. But if you go back and look at his filmography on imdb, he has personally written every screenplay he has ever directed. Maybe he loved the guy's script but directing somebody else's words is outside of his comfort zone. Hopefully Don will do an interview soon. If this really ISN'T an April Fools Joke, that is.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/27/phantasm-5-ravager-trailer-exclusive/

It's been confirmed by Coscarelli and we have a trailer! In an age where we seem to know every beat of the making of a film from casting decisions to plot lines years before a release, I love how the Phantasm team was able to keep Part V under wraps the way they have. When was the last time you heard a definitive announcement of a film and then two days later the trailer was revealed? Let alone this happening for a film in a cult favorite series where fans are always digging for the latest news. I really hope this gets distribution this year and is able to come out on the franchise's 35th anniversary. I can't wait to see how the saga of Mike, Reggie, Jody, and The Tall Man wraps up.

12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Doesn't look too bad.

Glad they are making it the final film. The story needs closure (Oblivion was NOT perfect closure to the series).

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Oblivion, especially the ending. But you're right, while I thought it was a very interesting and unique ending for that film, it didn't wrap up the series in a satisfactory manner. At least for me.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I had to watch it without sound, as I'm at work, but....against my better judgement....I have to admit I got a little excited watching it. some of the effects (the giant sphere) look rather cheap, but the charm of Phantasm was never dependant on "realistic" looking effects, so that is in no way a deal breaker for me. The concept of a giant sphere is pretty cool.

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

Holy fuck!!! Unbelievable.

How the hell did they keep this quiet?

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

17. Dave

Dave Pimp

phantasm.com is displaying it now, too.

18. maybrick

Holy shit that brought tears to my eyes! Have they already made the final cut? Because if they haven't, they'd be insane not to do a Kickstarter type of thing to get more money for effects work. Even though my wife is currently in nursing school and I couldn't really afford it, I'd still throw a Benjamin his way and I'm sure a lot of other fans would do the same!

19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Hell yes! Can't wait.

20. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I am incredibly impressed with how they managed to keep this quiet till now. I missed the feeling of having no idea about a film untill you saw the trailer. They did an amazing job keeping this all under wraps.