Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Scrimm still looks great as The Tall Man.

I can't wait to see this.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The trailer certainly looks promising, plus Angus and Reggie returning is definitely awesome.

I'm also amazed that they kept the whole project quiet until recently.

Now release the first film on Blu-ray already goddamnit! :mad:

3. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Is this going theatrical or DTV?

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

OK, after reading a bit more about the project and learning that they shot the film over 2 years(!) in California and not Canada I feel a little better. Still boggles my mind that they kept it a secret so long.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The first film was shot over two years as well. It's very fitting.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Nice to see we can all still be surprised. Awesome news.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, this look a lot better than expected :)
    Some of the CGI is a bit crappy, but I can live with that, as long as the movie itself holds up.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Yeah I can live with some iffy CG work as long as its good.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...phantasm-ravager-with-creator-don-coscarelli/

Congrats on the new film! How the hell were you able to keep it a secret? “Thank you! We decided early on that since fans seemed so keen for another Phantasm movie that we would try to surprise them with ‘Ravager’. It took a couple years to pull together all the elements necessary, but we figured that fans had been so patient since ‘Phantasm: Oblivion’ was released that they would want us to get this one right. It gave me great joy to return to something I have such passion about. And yes, filming is finally complete.”

Does it pick up where Phantasm: Oblivion left off? “Ah, you’re on to my style there. I’d prefer not to give too much away, but as a writer I am certainly a creature of habit.”

What was it like, emotionally, revisiting this territory? “For me it was very emotionally satisfying to co-write the screenplay with Dave and then watch him breathe life into it. These are characters that the fans and I share a lot of history with. I know it might sound weird but after so many years, I have become a Phantasm fan myself. And watching Reggie, Mike and the Tall Man play out their arcs to the end was wonderful for me to watch, and I trust it will be the same experience for the fans.”

When will the film be released? “It has more visual effects than any film I’ve been involved with to date, including ‘John Dies at the End’. In addition to being a terrific director, David Hartman is also a great visual effects artist, so he is hard at work right now, and will be for quite some time. I guess the short answer is “as soon as possible,” but that could be some time.”

Any update on Bubba Nosferatu or any other new stuff you might have percolating? “I’ve got a bunch of projects in various states of development. Nothing to report right now on the sequel ‘Bubba Nosferatu’, other than a couple months back I had an excellent dinner with both Bruce Campbell and Paul Giamatti. I can swear to you, they would make an awesome on screen team! Elvis is eternal, and his manager Col Tom Parker probably is too, so, with luck, the Gods of Graceland will help us find a path to get that movie to the silver screen.”

================

Good to hear they are still working on the effects. I suspect the movie won't be out until Fall (i.e. Halloween time).

10. maybrick

Re watching the Graveyard Carz episode with hindsight being 20/20, it is painfully obvious that Don did in fact acknowledge Phantasm 5 was happening well over a month ago. Michael Baldwin asks Don "So when is Phantasm 5 coming out?" To which Don asks him "Are you up for it?" Mike says he is and then Don says the cryptic line: "From your mouth to the Tall Man's ears". There is a moment of stunned silence before one of the GC crew asks, "What, are you serious?", to which Don responded: "That's for you to figure out".

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

maybe the other films will be coming to blu-ray now. dunno if anchor bay will release this film in theaters or not they still own the rights to 1,3,4 i think maybe now the 5th.

12. elDomenechHDG

I'm thinking the same thing. I thought I saw a new Anchor Bay logo preceding the teaser so maybe they're prepping the remaining films for Blu to tie them into the new film. If Phantasm I, III and IV end up being released this year then it'll end up being a hell of a year for cult movies on Blu-ray.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I find this quote of interest

This iteration? Maybe they are wrapping this up for fans and then headed to a remake?

15. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I'm sorry, but this looks terrible. I like Phantasm, I LOVE II, III sucks, and IV has grown on me. But the time for this has long passed. The actors were already showing their age in IV. Sixteen years after the last sequel, we are supposed to buy the original cast playing the same characters? Especially the main villain, who is supposed to be timeless? The Lady in Lavender, who is supposed to be seductive? The main hero, still kicking ass? No, no, and no. And don't even get me started on the SPFX. That bazooka shot looks like a stock effect any kid could use in a YouTube vid. The giant sphere at the end? Terrible! Hey kid, the fake birds don't sell it! It's like something out of a fake fan-made trailer. They should have taken the money and rebooted this, cuz you just can't go back.

16. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I would guess the giant sphere is from a nightmare Reggie has in the movie and thats why it looks cheesy.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

After reading Coscarelli's quotes I have some serious reservations. Why would a Phantasm film require more visual effects than John Dies At The End? And why would he hand the directorial reins to a guy with that kind of resume? I have a bad feeling that the stink of modern film-making trends will seriously taint this project. Quick cutting and over-reliance on effects would be very off-putting to long-time (that sounds nicer than "old and cranky") fans like myself. I'm extremely sick of the nonstop parade of films offering tons of effects and very little genuine imagination. I hope that's not how this turns out. But that's definitely what I'm expecting at this point.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Clearly it's being made for the fans. And clearly the majority are excited for it. We are willing to overlook shortcomings in effects and age because we love the movies.

For all we know, the effects are work in progress. He did mention that they only just started the effects.

19. maybrick

Exactly, and really if you're a true fan of this series then none of the points that zillamon raises matters. If the only film in the series that you can say you love is the one that Coscarelli had the least amount of creative control on, then Part 5 wasn't meant or made for you. No offense, zilla, but you just don't get it. Nothing about this series is meant to be realistic, literal, or linear.

20. elDomenechHDG

Lol. The last thing on my mind was the age of the cast members. In my mind, the events of all 5 films occur within a 2-year period after the first incident, despite the long gaps between films :) Bannister and Scrimm are up there in age but it doesn't affect the storyline and shouldn't take away from the enjoyment of the movies. I've seen that teaser about a dozen times now and each time I do it makes me want to see the movie more.