Shut the front door! Phantasm V for real?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Mar 25, 2014.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Effects are probably unfinished. I wouldn't dismiss the film just yet.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I don't think the quality of the effects should have any bearing on whether or not the film should be dismissed. honestly, it was the imagination behind the effects, not the professionalism or polish that made them work well in the first four films. i was initially skeptical just because it wasn't coscarelli behind the camera. but if this turns out to be a good movie, it will be so regardless of how realistic the effects are. i really hope this turns out to be a worthwhile conclusion to the franchise.

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Either way I'm still very curious to see the final sequel for this franchise.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

For what this is, it looks good. Go easy on these guys, creating a labor of love for a diminishing number of fans.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I thought the FX looked great, and I'm the first to bitch about bad CGI. The scope of this film just gets bigger and bigger with each clip revealed. This is easily my most anticipated film of next year.

6. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Jesus Christ. I'd be embarrassed as fuck if I was standing next to Coscarelli as the director of a new Phanstasm film, and THAT was part of my final product I was showing off. Good God man...The Asylum is right, worse even.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Thumbs up. I mean really, the first film has one of the most unconvincing bug attacks in the annals of film history, but it still wound up being a classic. Just go with it.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

That fly was the first thing I thought of when I read someone bitching about unconvincing effects! :lol:

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I think that the differences between an animatronic flying bat and a giant disco death star ball sawing a skyscraper are... evident.

I am still looking forward to this. But I will say: I thought Phantasm IV was the perfect ending to the series, and I hope that this doesn't leave it open ended.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think that you're being extremely generous to refer to the bug as "animatronic", but I digress...

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Agree. Love part IV. Side note: Coscarelli's daughter has written some great cookbooks.

12. Dave

Dave Pimp

The great thing about movies is you choose whether to watch them or not. I have mentioned it several times on the side before, but I'll never watch Matrix 2 or 3 again. They no longer exist for me. You can do the same with Phantasm V if you so choose...

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I have stayed with this series since the first film began airing on WPIX-TV in New York in the mid-80's. The only thing about the films I didn't like was A. Michael Baldwin being replaced by James Le Gros in Part II. Other than that, I've loved every film in the series unconditionally. Many of the effects throughout the series were unconvincing - the sphere "mob" attack on Reggie at the end of Part III looked bad, for instance. I guess this is part of the charm with these films but I'm convinced those effects in Ravager won't look as bad when the finished film is released. And, by the way, the film looks badass despite the little bit of footage shown. It looks like it will be the definitive sendoff it needs to be, complete with scenes set on the Tall Man's homeworld - something I've wanted to see for a long time. Can't wait to see this.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

My Mom took me and my brother to the Drive-In and we saw the first Phantasm at the Drive-In. I love each movie in the series, and own all 4 movies with the 2nd one of Blu-Ray, and wish that in the future that Parts 1, 3, and 4 will hopefully come out eventually on Blu-Ray.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Watched that video. I didn't see a problem with what little they showed.
    Looking forward to the new film.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Good to see some positive comments. This is one of my most anticipated films of next year.

Finally glad to see the finale of the series (IV's "ending" with neither perfect or an ending)

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Yes, it was. For me at least.

Maybe not on a literal scale, but I do not watch these films as "what you see is what you get" films. Part IV was very much a psychological film and had plenty of secondhand information to gain by reading in between the lines. The 70s footage brought it all back to point.

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I love the ending of IV. I think it is pretty beautiful and there hasn't been an ending quite like it that I've seen in another film. But it never satisfactorily wrapped up the series for me. I'm glad that V is coming so we can find out what becomes of these beloved characters that we've seen onscreen for the past 35 years.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

They should have sold the rights over to Michael Bay, recast everyone and rebooted it as a PG13 date movie. Reggie needs a more universal badass kind of image. He should be played by a younger, good looking guy (to attract a female demographic). And why not have Mike and Jody be played by black actors? You know to tap into that market. Maybe Jody could even be a recognizable rap or R&B star and provide a track or two on the soundtrack? How about making the "Tall Man" more of a hulking menacing character? He should have a muscular physique to show that he can do some damage if he wanted to.

Or maybe we can all collectively shut the fuck up when what little purity there is left in the horror genre relies on a bit of CGI? :D

20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Bad CGI doesn't bother me a bit in this context. John Dies at The End had a similar look, and it was fun, not a distraction.

As far as box set? Why not? If it could happen with Halloween then why not Phantasm? And if they wait til this final movie is out? Even better.