SHUTTER ISLAND from Scorsese

Discussion in 'General' started by geeare, Jun 18, 2009.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah I'll admit, I hated Leo when Titanic came out, for those reasons you mentioned. But I was young then and as I have gotten older I have become a huge fan of his work. Just about every movie I have seen him in I liked, including The Beach. He is definitely one of the best actors of our time.

2. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

/Film is reporting that Paramount has pushed this back all the way to February 2010! The reasons are pretty ridiculous too (check out the link). I was looking forward to this one too, despite the trailer promising an overly cliched, fairly shitty twist ending. At least now, I won't have to choose between this and the Coen Brothers' latest film, as they were both opening the same day originally.

3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'll chime in with the rest on DiCaprio. I was never a huge fan of his. I thought he was very good at overacting, which worked well for films like Titanic and Romeo+Juliet. But as a serious actor, he used to really rub me the wrong way. Until I saw Departed. I didn't care much for the movie itself. But, I have to give him credit there. He simply blew me away. A completely mesmerizing performance there. So, I'm not as harsh with him as I used to be.

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

BUMMER:

Shutter Island Pushed Back to Feb. 2009!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=58282

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just got back from it and I enjoyed it a lot. It had the best direction I've seen in a movie in a long time and the actors were all great. It did take a little too long to get to where it was going (as all the reviews point out), but I thought it was a very solid flick.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Definitely a good film. Makes me want to watch it again soon.

7. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Of course being dumb enough to read 4chan near any movie release the end got spoiled for me but it still looks good enough to see in theaters.

Damn you /b/!!! (for so so sooo many reasons)

8. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Just saw it last night and thought it was a good film. Probably Dicaprio's best acting in a Scorsese film yet. Definitely worth seeing.

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I just think DiCaprio "over acts" too much- I don't hate him in films but I dont find him a major talent either. One movie I always think back to is Gangs of New York. DiCaprio I found distracting, over acting in many scenes - on the other hand Daniel Day-Lewis single handedly makes this movie enjoyable- he was freaking amazing to watch as Bill the Butcher. Daniel "was" Bill the Butcher while DiCaprio seemed to be acting by the #'s on his character. I knew I was watching DiCaprio, it was the same DiCaprio I had seen in previous movies- always the same overreaction to everything, but I forgot I was even watching Daniel Day-Lewis because he portrayed that character so well, same goes for him in There Will Be Blood. This movie wasn't great- but Daniel Day-Lewis sure made it at the very least watchable for his performance alone.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I just saw the film and was disappointed. The end "surprise" was obvious to me from the beginning. Even the trailer kind of gives it away. I really enjoyed DiCaprio and Scorsese's last film The Departed but this one just didn't offer much of anything.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I saw this Friday night and thought it was pretty good. There were some issues of course with the plot, but I actually think I might like it better on a second viewing. DiCaprio also was much better than I was expecting, his accent wasn't nearly as thick or botched as I was expecting it to be since his previews attempts were all brutal. The one thing though that really stuck out was some sloppy editing... especially in the first 30 minutes of the film, there were quite a few cuts that definitely weren't 'invisible'...

But overall, it was a pretty good 'twist' film that doesn't feel like a letdown at the end. And the musical score was awesome!

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

All those cuts were intentional. If I write more about it it will be one great spoiler. Even though, the film isn't about the twist. It is a GREAT movie btw.

13. The Chaostar

Again, Scorsese WANTS you to understand what is going on, that's why it was obvious to you and to almost anyone else. This is a different movie from what you think. Shit I have no time to write an extensive review but you have to see this in strictly "Scorsesian" terms. And see where God fits into this.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it.

Anyway, I saw the film, it was quite good. Beautifully shot & acted.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Man, did I ever get sucked into this one. Beautiful shots, and I loved the editing, especially early on. The flashbacks, the dreams, the paranoia; this is exactly what I want to watch. I thought the score was a bit oppressive in the beginning and it felt a little overdone ("din-din-din-din-DUNNN!").

But the opening was still so good--
    on the boat, when he can't find his smokes, I knew something was up,
    and the arrival to the island was epic. What a great setting.

The one loose end that I dissatisfied with
    the part of his fantasy involving the apartment fire. There were so many shots of DiCaprio surrounded or haloed in smoke, and all of his fire-play: the matches, the car-bomb.
    Did i miss something or was that never addressed?

I do feel like the trailer gave a lot away--or at least hinted at a lot, and I would have preferred to watch the film without
    being suspicious. I hate it when a film is promoted as having a "twist." Just let it happen naturally.
    But that's hardly the filmmaker's fault. And then ending
    is devastating; just brutal. From finding his kids in the water to slipping back into his fantasy, yeesh.

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I don't personally believe that he slipped back into his fantasy. His line about dying a good man hinted to me that he couldn't live with the pain of what happened, so he pretended to slip back so they would give him the procedure.

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Holy shit, man. You are totally right. I was so caught up that it flew over my head. Wow. Thanks for the note.

18. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Ok as a huge scorsese fan i have to admit this was not very good. The plot was incredibly obvious, the 'twist' glaringly obvious, looked way too much like a cheap homage Hitchcock film (De Palma anyone) and was overall pretty dull.

If anyone else but Martin made this it would have been panned mercilessly.

The double twist ( hinted at) at the end seemed tacked on, though it did improve it.

19. The Chaostar

It wasnt about the twist. It is about the everending scorsese theme of sin and redemption. That's why the ending is so brilliant. I think this is where Scorsese was at with this one. Ofr course the twist was obvious, I think it was a choice he made, a huge gamble.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just noticed that this film has a rating of 8.0 on IMDB. I thought it was OK but 8.0 is just way too high.