Silent Hill...the movie!

Discussion in 'General' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 19, 2003.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched this last night. First of all, in a theater full of a seats, this young Russian couple sat one seat away from me and could not stop talking or text messaging on their cell phones. ASIDE FROM THAT...

I thought the movie was really, really good. Was it great? I'm not sure. I love how the film was shot, using crooked angles, shooting from above, etc. I really enjoyed the score, I'm glad they got the same person from the games to hop on board.

That being said, it's been so long since I've played the games. Even then, I played the first two, not the others. I'm sure because of that, I was confused for several portions of the movie including the ending.

All in all, confusion and annoying cell phone/talking antics aside, I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was worth my $9.

Oh, and when...
    Pyramid Head rips off Anna's skin
    Totally out of left field. Awesome.

2. Tien21

Tien21 Guest

Can someone simply tell me if it is even possible to understand this movie without playing the games even if I watched it 5 times? Or must I talk to someone who played the games to understand it? Because if this is the case then I am definately not going to enjoy it as much as most people. I don't care if this movie has all the best imagery in the world, if playing the videogame is required to "get" this movie even after multiple viewings then I don't see it as a great film. Or is this more like High Tension where it is open ended, unless you play the games?

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've never played any of the games, and I still enjoyed it. I think if you've played any survival horror game, and understand how they work, then the openendedness and atmospheric dependence of the movie shouldn't be too tough to deal with. It is a convoluted story, like any survival horror game, but that's just in place to make the visuals and the scares that much more unsettling.

4. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I saw it last night and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. Obviously on the visual side of things it was impressive as hell. I loved the look of the town, the ashen rain, the long looming shots and of course the monsters. That might have been the film's biggest fault in my eyes though since I'm upset that a film so visually engaging had some of the worst plotting and dialogue I've heard in a long time. Plenty of stupid character choices plague the film as does the ridiculous dialogue. I can't even begin to tell you how many times people were laughing out loud during what were supposed to be intense, dramatic sequences. What gore there was was well done, especially the now infamous Pyramid Head "flesh blanket" scene. I really wanted to love this movie, but right now I'm not quite sure if I even like it. I think I need another viewing, that should almost go without being said for anyone that sees this. There's just too much to absorb properly in one viewing. It did feel a bit long as well, maybe if they trimmed about 15-20 minutes off the total time it would have flowed a bit better. Although if I end up eventually loving the film I'll want all the footage I can get. As far as the ending goes I agree with MorallySound. I couldn't have put it better than he did, but as expected most of the audience let out quite a groan once the credits rolled.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I rate it a flat 'C'. I'd go into it a bit more but it didn't affect me enough either way to go into more detail. It had some great aspects as well as terrible ones. I enjoyed playing the game, but the movie is for the most part forgetable. That aside, it's the best movie adaptation of a game I've seen. It by and large captures the atmosphere, but faltered because of the mainstream Hollywood need to over-explain events.

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am more than a bit troubled by the fact that I agree with both of you on this movie. Well, I don't agree with rhett's radical feminist interpretation. Thank god for that. Otherwise, I would be worried that the end of times were near.

I just got back, and I really, really loved it. I may go back for seconds later today. I take this game pretty seriously and didn't want anything "cutesy" or some small nod to the fact that it was an actual game, and thankfully the movie seemed to take the game as seriously as I do. I love these people and I love this story. Don't fuck with them.

I was pretty stunned at how well parts of the game were captured. I wanted to cheer these moments on as they just pleased me so. I may have done that now that I think of it. The whole audience was very into it. Of course, in some evil plot to upset me, the theater was closed down yesterday for a private engagement so the only folks showing up for the Saturday 11:30am showing were likely the super serious Silent Hill fans, and I think that is who the movie is for. I have no idea how this movie would play to someone who doesn't love the games, but since I am not one of those people, I am free to give the movie an A+.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  7. skmastaz

skmastaz New Member

I never really played the games and I really dug the movie a lot. The camera work was awesome and I really didn't mind the wooden dialogue since it was a lot like it was in what little of the games I've played. It seems they were very careful about conserving the style and feel of the games and I like that a lot. I felt this was a lot like Fulci movies in a lot of ways. All atmosphere, which is awesome, ambiguous ending, and crappy dialogue. If only Sharon had Bob's voice... A lot of people seem to hate the explanation scene, but I think it was needed to make the pay-off better. Also, that was one of the better death by burning scenes I've ever seen. It seems a lot of scenes were cut from the movie, or they had a really terrible person keeping track of continuity because there were a lot of times someone would be walking towards something then in the next cut they were doing something completely different. I'm really looking forward to the DVD and I might even check out a matinee to see if it holds up.

8. SirFarley

SirFarley Guest

Well I went with my brother and my friend... both of which have never played any Silent Hill... my brother loved it, friend hated it... so I think it is sort of a love it or hate it type of movie, and you don't really need to have played the games... just gotta go in ready to think some.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I didn't find the ending confusing so that wasn't a problem for me, pretty much that's how the story should have played out:
    The biggest clue was the husband had to wear a mask in the real world: It adds up after awhile that they're certainly not alive anymore. Even if the crash didn't kill them, the exposure to Silent Hill's fumes would have even in the idle car while they're passed out. I also think the mother figured it out to by the end of it, she probably was going to wait for her husband to finally die and then he'd be able to join them. After all, she didn't exactly call for him or anything once home. Just sat and waited.

As for being "original" I couldn't help but be reminded of The Sixth Sense, What Dreams May Come, The Cell, The Others and Daughter (2002) at every turn while first watching it. The ending also reminded me of The Mummy's Ghost dealing with reincarnated people having to die once it's all over.

Now I DID like the movie but as I said they goofed around and then showed a home movie explaining the plot. It's pretty damn easy to reveal the plot as a movie goes on, a Hollywood screenwriter should be able to do it in their sleep. They gave a half hearted attempt with the husband's side of it and one or two other clues in Silent Hill, but to me the home movie thing at the end is just plain laziness like The Architect in The Matrix Reloaded.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I Checked this out today. Overall it was pretty good, there was some surreal moments and a couple of cool scenes. On the now side. It just had so much crappy CGI though that kept taking me out of the moment. The cast was also too pretty and just didn't seem realistic. I felt like this film would have been better off made in the 70's maybe then the monsters would felt more organic. I would give it a 7/10. It wasn't bad. There has definitely been better stuff that has come along in the last year.

11. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Gans certainly went through a lot of trouble to recreate just about every aspect of Silent Hill games -- except for the game, itself. Yes, he perfected the visuals and the characters and the sounds and everything else from the game (including the freakin' maps and even some of the lesser details from the series). However, like most survival horror games, the game play of Silent Hill involved staying alive by beating the shit out of a seemingly endless supply of terrifying monsters. It was ultimately an action game. This is where the movie went horribly wrong. It was more like a virtual tour of Silent Hill rather than an adaptation of the game. As a matter of fact, only one monster was killed over the entire 2 hours and 10 minutes of running time. Some parts of the movie were just downright boring.

And he also focused on the cult leader a little too much, while totally disregarding the paranormal preoccupations of the cult -- which ultimately caused all of the problems in the Silent Hill. I didn't mind this particular liberty, since he basically rewrote the town as a purgatory of sorts (which it more less became anyway later in the series).

dmeister

12. maybrick

Great points, d. That pretty much encapsulates what I felt was wrong with the movie but couldn't quite place my finger on what it exactly was. Good job.

13. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I don't consider Silent Hill an "action game" but I do understand what you're saying, dmeister.

14. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I never thought of Silent Hill as an action game either - especially not the first two. Fighting the monsters always seemed far less important than solving the mystery and experiencing the town.

I wonder if they are going to do part two. They could do a lot more with Pyramid Head there. I would really, really, really, really love to see that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  15. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Saw it yesterday, and loved it. The ambience and visuals of the movie made me overlook the acting and the sometime weak dialogue. This is how a Silent Hill movie should have been, imo. I went with my girlfriend and two friends who never played any of the game, and they loved it as well.

I think I would have prefer the plot from the second game, though. And some explanation for the origins of the monsters - like in Silent Hill 2, where the origins of Pyramid Head is suggested. I would like this plot to be in an eventual sequel, but I fear that any sequel would be crap, unless it's the same people which are involved.

Me neither - I was spending most of my time running away from monsters than actually fighting them. But I've only played Silent hill 2 and 3, which are more story driven game than action game.

16. maybrick

I agree, but I also very much agree with dmeister that the movie could have used a few to several more creature kills. A couple of gory whacks with a pickaxe would have been nice. I've only played the first game through and I have to say I miss the creepy schoolchildren with knives. Pyramidhead doesn't mean much to me, and without a referencepoint he just comes across as a Cenobyte.

17. dmeister

dmeister New Member

In all four of the games, you face hundreds of monsters and have a variety of different weapons at your disposal. Yes, you can run away like a little bitch ;), just as you can choose whether to either annihilate an entire house or silently take out your single target in Hitman. But they obviously wouldn't give guns, pipes, knives, and whatever else if they expected you to do this.

No, you're not killing hundreds of people like you might in Call of Duty II, but you're still running around shooting things. Not to mention the fact that you still have "bosses" to fight in Silent Hill, which is a hallmark of FPS action games. Besides, if you just "run" through the game, to get a freakin' flying-saucer-ending-breaking-dancing-constume-special-laser-weapon, you're really stripping away the "survival" component from survival horror. ;)

As with Resident Evil and every other survival horror games, you don't really "solve" the mystery so much as have it presented to you as finish beating the shit out of a seemingly endless supply of terrifying monsters on each level. "Clues" also serve as a bit of a reward for going "from here to there" for eight hours.

Yes, that is a big aspect of Silent Hill... And the main aspect that Gans focused on throughout the movie.

dmeister

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Thanks for explaining the games to me dmeister. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I went with my GF yesterday and I pretty much dug it, but she hated it since she was confused by the whole thing. She also said it was too slow, which in parts it was but I didn't mind.
    I've only played the first game so all the "burn the witch" shit was out of left field and had me kinda confused once they got to the church.
    They did recreate the town perfectly, but I kept wanting to see the lighthouse, the amusement park (
    and officer Bennet blow her brains out
    ), the gas station and cut-rite chainsaws.:D Definitly needed the children as well. I kept waiting for her to pick up a pipe or axe or something and have at least one room or location where you had to fight your way out like in the game. You can only avoid so much, sometimes you just have to beat a possessed kid or 5 with a pipe!
    Pyamid Head was cool though I didn't know who the hell he was, but man that kill was just awesome.

All in all I'm looking forward to seeing it again, but my GF has put it next to King Kong on her list of "never gonna watch again: horrible shit" list.

20. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I'm not. I'm just explaining why you're wrong. ;)

dmeister