Silent Hill...the movie!

Discussion in 'General' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 19, 2003.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Next could you please explain math and football to me? I don't get those either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2006
  2. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Sure. I actually have a degree in mathematics.

That said, if you've played and beaten the four Silent Hill games, and still feel that running from zombie nurses and blasting demons from Hell with a magnum doesn't constitute "action," I will concede the argument and leave to your own opinion.

dmeister

3. Surnom

Surnom New Member

True, but the fact that I had so little bullets, plus the fact that I cared much more for the story than the fight, made me want to avoid some of the unneccessary fight in the street. It was getting cumbersome at some point to fight with the pipe. And I didn't get the saucer nor the dog ending (which I want to see eventually - wouldn't it be funny they put that alternate ending on the DVD, as an easter egg maybe)

Bottom line, I didn't want another Resident Evil or Doom action movie type, but more of an atmospheric movie like I felt the game was. Boss fight in a movie doesn't work IMO, as we could see in Doom or RE2.

4. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Fair enough.

dmeister

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wasn't there 4 endings to the first game?
    I definitly got the saucer ending then the raygun on the next game. My fav. was the one that got you the Kitana sword in the next game. The chainsaw should've been the best, but it didn't work as well as the sword to get your kill on.:D

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

7. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Opinion from a fan of the games (me):

This is basically Silent Hill 1 with the monsters from Silent Hill 2. The movie focuses almost solely on the cult plot from Silent Hills 1 and 3, so if that interested you then you'll find a lot to like about this movie. The acting isn't so bad, but the script is awful... which of course makes the acting seem worse than it is. There's a big dumb scene at the end of the movie that explains the plot to you via a scratchy video. In case you are too dull to understand the images that are being projected a character narrates what is happening on screen for you.

There are Creepy Little Girls.

Instead of composing a new soundtrack, Akira Yamaoka shoveled the "greatest hits" from the games over to the movie somewhat randomly.

I think for people who might not be huge fans of the games this movie might work better. I absolutely loved SH2, and everything that was in that game was in it for a reason. To take characters and aspects from that game, divorce them from the circumstances, and throw them into the story from another (almost unrelated) game... then make a movie out of it sort of ruins the effect. However, if you haven't played the games this obviously won't bother you so you can just enjoy the awesomeness of Pyramid Head and his friends.

The movie looks fantastic, and it really gets it right when the siren goes off and Silent Hill transforms. Not only is it true to the games, but it's also done so well that it could exist without the games and still be effective. There are some awesome and chilling images in the movie, though many of them were taken straight from the games.

The ending really dragged for me. The movie is a little slow to begin, but once you get 20 minutes in or so the movie gets really good really quickly, which lasts for a good 30-40 minutes.

There is some amazing gore footage! The games themselves aren't extremely gory, so this was a bit of a surprise.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

So now we have gone from the many reviews that this movie is only for big fans of the games to the movie works better for people who aren't big fans of the games? This board is so strange.

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm avoiding reading reviews for this film, but it's really funny just how interested I am in seeing this now despite the fact that just last friday I had no intention of seeing it at all.

I guess it must be an image from that making of that someone posted a link to on this board. Where Radha Mitchell is going down a long, dark staircase. That just seemed so intenesly nightmarish to me. And also, that image of Pyramid-Head walking up the steps has had an effect on me. So I guess you could say I'm psyched. Don't get all the love for the trailer, though. I thought it was crap and made the film look like crap too.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well 1x1, to counter even that, I'm a moderate fan of the games and I thought this film was brilliant. This a no-comprimise horror movie before it is a video game port. There is great atmosphere, cool story, plenty of gore and most impresssively the special effects were very effective. They kind of reminded me of The Cell only better. I'm surprised to hear it was actually two hours. Felt like the usual 1.5. Also as Rhett pointed out, the sound was absolutely spectacular.

Added: Reading back through the thread I can't believe anyone would be confused by the ending, the story or any other element to do with the plot.
    There is a cutscene-like portion of this film that explains EVERYTHING. In regards to the ending, it's meant to afirm that Sharron and Rose died at the beginning in the car accident, as did Officer Bennet. There was a point in the film were Sean Bean and the FBI are in Silent Hill only it isn't foggy and they can't see that Sharron is right next to them. Bean exclaims that he "just felt her!" Common guys, didn't poltergeist teach you anything?

Added: Oh my fuck. Roger Ebert didn't understand the plot either. WTF?!? :hum:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Am I the only one who was distracted by the over use of CGI in this film? It may be just me, but I really don't care how cool it looks. It still looks fake and totally removes any element of fear. I can't help thinking how good this film would have been if Savini, Baker or any number of make up artists would have been in charge of the design of the creatures.

13. onebyone

onebyone Guest

From here, although I have seen it elsewhere.

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You can't tell me those monsters that shot stuff out of there stomachs weren't CGI or those bug things. SO he made monsters that weren't CGI look like CGI? That's even worse. It doesn't matter anyway, It didn't look organic at all to me.

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I don't think the monsters looked like bad CGI. I thought they were looked great. Had I thought they messed up the monsters in this movie, I would have hated the movie instantly.

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I agree they looked good. It just seemed like they were reacting to a blue screen and not to anything that was actually in the scene with them.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I thought it was really emaculate aside from the very first part
    where it zoomed down into the underground when the little girl was sleepwalking. I half expected the title to emerge through all of that

There's no way you can achieve what Silent Hill pulled off using old-school make up effects. It's too bad you seem to automatically switch-off when you see CGI. It was done exceptionally well in this film.

Added:
    You can't tell me the chick getting her skin torn-off didn't look fuckin' good.. er.. well bad I mean in a good way

18. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Even though I didn't particularly like the movie, and even though in general I hate CGI effects... I don't care whether or not the effects in SH were CGI because they were just awesome. The monsters looked absolutely amazing, and I got such a rush when you first see the straightjacket monsters. :eek: Pyramid Head was awesome. The theater was in stunned silence whenever he was on screen. The nuses were also impressive, especially how they moved.

Were the small baby monsters CGI? Or were those actors?

**SPOILERS BELOW***

I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if the cult stuff were excised and it was just a movie where bizarre stuff happens to a woman looking for her kid in a town. Or if the cult itself was long gone and all that remained were what they brought up. The film would have been so much more effective I think if the flashback sequence weren't in the movie and it jumped right to where Rose meets Alyssa. I'm sure there could be some way to explain how she got that way other than a flashback scene. I dunno, maybe the husband could have found something about it when he was in the archives or something.

19. killit

killit Active Member

it is the best out of the little girl done wrong horror film from japanese origins

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Seems like some people were not impressed at all for this movie while some of you really had a hard on for it- weird...lol- I had my tonsils removed last week and i am finally starting to feel a little better- maybe I will go against my initial reaction to the trailer and the poor reviews from critics and give this a try-sounds like it is at least better than the resident evil movies- if i dont like it I can always say i saw it for free and get the dvd to use for a drink coaster......<: