Silent Hill...the movie!

Discussion in 'General' started by 2D4EVER, Sep 19, 2003.

1. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

can be summed with with 1 answer essentially; because of the game.

1.Pyramid Head is from SH2,
    he is essentially the manifestation of the games main character (James') mental anguish, mainly his sexual frustration, angst and guilt after his wife's death. Pyramid Head is pretty much the 'hero badguy' of the game, as you encounter him multiple times throughout, and is one of the last boss fights.
    He didnt really have any point for being in the movie other than the fact he's become somewhat of a cult icon on the net, and is the most well known SH baddie.

2. I didn't get that part either, but I'm guessing no. Could be wrong.

3.He was pretty much a combination of the male lead character's from SH1 and 2. In 1 the character is looking for his daughter, in 2 the character is looking for his wife. Thus, in the movie he's looking for his wife AND daughter, but since the movie is mainly from the mother's point of view, his side of the story is minimal.

4.Because that happens in the game as well. You find yourself walking in and out of scenes of terror; One moment the town seems normal, but as you walk through a couple of area's they become progressively more errie and horrific until you're pretty much in a totally different place. In the game's, the environments are separated into 2 worlds, 1 that is normal, and 1 that looks almost the same but is filled with creatures, melting walls and the like

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Finally saw this last month. Loved the imagery, hated the terrible plot--especially the beginning and end.

Husband: "Let'see, let's see. Our sleepwalking daughter keeps saying 'silent hill' when she sleeps. I know, I'll check Google!" (checks Google) "Holy shit! A ghost town! And my wife has already left? Fuck it, I'll cancel her credit cards. You're cut off, bitch! See how long you last!"

And the end:

Oops. We're really both dead.

Stupid all around. But those images, pretty cool. I'll give it that.

3. Criswell

Criswell New Member

I figured the cop was her father simply cause he got the burn marks from saving her.....but more importantly, as he carries her out, there is a close up of her hand on his shoulder.

BTW that cop was HOT!!!!!!!!!!

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Not read the entire thread - but I'll just pop in to say I thought this was pretty damn good. Loved the imagery, liked the basic premise, albeit a tad worn out. Most of all it's plain old fun to watch, and what's wrong with that? Not deep (it's based on a viideo game for goodness sakes), but definately a film I'd recommend.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Rented this after hearing much praise and thought it was complete and utter crap. It was actually sleep inducing for me. Maybe because I never played the game, I did not 'get' the movie. Anyway, can't please everyone.

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Actually, I've never played the game either, and I hadn't read too much about it beforehand. I thought the movie was a pretty simple
    "revenge from the grave" type deal.

7. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree Dwatts. But I felt like I had seen this type of plot done before and the effects were just too unrealistic for me to take seriously. I know many people loved the surreal vibe, I'm just not one of them.

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

-- But I felt like I had seen this type of plot done before --

Oh yeah, MANY times before :D

9. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

i watched this last night from On Demand and wish i had my money back. they needed to spend more time with some of the monsters from the video game and less time having mommy run around empty hallways.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If the poorly developed script would have been half as good as the visuals, this movie really could have been something.