Silent Night, Deadly Night remake... starring Malcolm McDowell

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MorallySound, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well i'd cut zombiedude some slack we be the youngest folks on here. I don't believe either of us existed in 1984 at least not yet. ;) Speaking of eBay Startide says the complete opposite of what you say. However she is usually referring to VHS tapes selling for over $100.

2. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Never tried selling a VHS tape on eBay. I sold all of mine years ago to a private collector I met at a garage sale. And to be honest, I don't look for them so I have no idea what they go for. I just know from my own experience when I have sold stuff on eBay that people on this forum would collect, I am lucky to get more than a few bids. It also depends on the time of year as well, and luck also comes into if you just happen to have a few people looking for what you are selling.

3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Seen it, really enjoyed it, entertaining as hell. I hope there will be more to keep the series going.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i'd watch a sequel.

5. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched this over the weekend. I thought it was mediocre at best. Really nothing new or original at all. The killer wasn’t interesting nor was the M.O. as to why he started killing. The kills were nothing spectacular…wood chipper scene was alright, but probably would have benefited if there was a hotter chick going in. I do praise the film makers for using practical effects. I didn’t notice any use of CG, so if it was in fact used, it was used sparingly and to the advantage of the effect at hand.

The antler kill was a complete failure. The blonde chick was probably the hottest/skankiest chick in the movie and she goes on the antlers with a top on? What the hell is that shit? That brought absolute shame to Linnea’s infamous death scene in the original.

The acting was what you’d expect…I didn’t find Malcolm McDowell’s character to be that bad. Jamie King plays the same fucking character she did three times before. The rest of the characters I could care less about. I thought the best character in the whole movie was Santa Jim. Donal Logue was absolutely brilliant. He brought that real vicious, ugly, ill-humored, cranky, and downright mean-spirited nature of the original through his character alone. He was the only one that really captured that essence.

The best part of the movie was the Garbage Day reference. I chuckled pretty good on that one.

All-in-all, an alright way to kill an hour and a half I guess, but not really deserving of any of the accolades its seems to be receiving.

6. Chomp

Totally forgot about this part…another failure on the remake’s part. Probably one of the most important scenes in the original feels like a throwaway scene here in the remake. The pure terror on that little kids face is the embodiment of the original. All of that thrown out the window and replaced with some 2min scene with some douche bag teen that felt awkwardly out of place.

Why bother “re-doing” these important scenes from the original and completely half ass it? Don’t do them at all then.

7. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Where was the "garbage day" reference? I remember it from SNDN part 2 but I must have spaced it in the remake.

8. Chomp

I can't remember who tells him, I think Malcolm McDowell's character tells that pussy cop to take out the trash and in the next scene he's carrying black garbage bags and he says something to the effect of "Pfft...Garbage Day" under his breath.

I chuckled.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I agree with others who have stated Santa's Slay is a much better and fun film.

The one thing that really bugged me about this film that I forgot to mention, where the fack was all the snow!? It did a great job with decorations but never felt like a winter/ Christmas movie due to the lack of snow. There was literally non, other then in the flashback scene. I think it would have added a lot to the atmosphere. Such a strange loss as I don't think it would have been that costly to add snow seeing as how many smaller budgeted films include it.

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just watched it, and while it doesn't touch the original I still found it entertaining. Agreed that the two carryovers from the original were failures - completely unnecessary, but I suppose the filmmakers were just trying to pay a little homage. All in all I thought there was a lot of fun originality and some pretty cool gory kills. The very first scene with the victim in the basement with the xmas lights wrapped around his head made me immediately think of Ricky from SNDN III.