"Silents" Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic' started by WesReviews, Mar 15, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

This would be an appreciation hurdle :D

2. wgdavis

wgdavis Guest

Sorry I missed this thread 2 days ago, but... Spring... motorcycle... enough said.

If you live in the Philadelphia / New York region, check out old local theatres. I am fortunate enough to live 10 minutes from an old theatre, complete with fully functioning Theatre Organ. Watching a silent film with a real organist who is familiar with the movie is a truly awesome event. This Sunday, March 20, "King of Kings" (directed by Cecil B. DeMille) plays at the pitman theatre, if you are close.

I loved "Der Golem", a truly wonderfull film, great story.

Caligari is a good story, and definately worth a view. I was slightly less impressed with the directing, mostly because the scenes seemed so 'staged" compared to Golem, even though they were both made the same year. While camera technology required a static camera, Golem seemed to do the better job of implying motion, rather than just watching actors move accross a stage.

Nosferatu is great. So much of the ground it broke is now cliche, but Nosferatu is the mother of all Vampire flicks.

Check out some Arbuckle / Keaton shorts - again, they were inventing routines and gags that would be done to death over the next century. Also "The General", a full length movie, showcases some excellent acting and comedic timing, as well as flawless direction.

I hesitate to recommend it, but "Birth of a Nation" has some effects and a grandness of scale that was never done before. The racist ideals are repellant, and turn many off from the film, but it was revolutionary. I have not yet seen "Intollerence" straight through.

Haxen - own it, but haven't watched it yet.

Metropolis (Kino) I also own. Scheduled for the next rainy day.

3. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I have the Kino set, and I listed Sherlock Jr. as one of my favorites. Keaton is the man.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Why be reluctant? BoaN is a landmark film. As you said, it's a grand film, truly unbelievable what Griffith accomplished, if only for the battle scenes alone, but add the multiple running plotlines and themes, and for it's day the movie was just a breakout film, no question about it.

I love Der Golem too, by the way. Now sit your ass down on your couch and watch Haxan, NOW! :p

gusse, thanks for the tip on K├Ârlkaren... even though it's not readily available. This bit about Criterion, is that just hopefulness on your part, or have you heard that they were interested/invested in doing it?

5. gusse

gusse New Member

Mutlehyde, It's just hopefulness from my part - but the movie really fits in on Criterions agenda of puting out the old classics on DVD.

The Swedish Film Institute recently spent a lot of money on a good restoration work on the movie and had the swedish composer Matti Bye write new (extrordinaryly good!) music to the movie (to my knowledge the original music is lost). The restored print of the movie was aired on swedish television recently (and got released on VHS) and there have been cinema screenings with Matti Bye performing the music live to the movie.

The movie is an historicaly important classic that still packs a good punch. There is a good print out there. There shouldnt be any problems in gathering some decent extras - If we are lucky Ingmar Bergman him self might even be willing to pay his respects to the movie since it's reather obvious that it has been an inspiration to him. I hope Criterion eventually will release it all on disc! :)

6. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Sounds groovy gusse. Hopefully, what with the TV broadcast and the vhs release, a dvd release is soon to come.

7. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

It's all about Tha Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for me. One of my favorite horror films, period. Haxan is right behind it...an amazing film that seriously has some ASTOUNDING FX for when it was made. The Golem is quite good as well, as is Greed, Metropolis, Vampyr, and The Passion of Joan of Arc.

8. Criswell

Criswell New Member

West of Zanzibar and the Unknown are simply stunning........keep in mind when they were made.

9. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Student of Prague (1913) and its remake (1926) have been released by Alpha just recently. I still haven't picked them up, but I thought I'd share.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart Guest

I have to say that the Kino version of Nosferatu is the version you want to own because it is the most complete version of the film available on DVD. The Kino DVD is the sum of all footage that has been found from Nosferatu (including footage from "Die Zwolfte Stunde"), and it is the most recent restoration of the film as well. The extras in the Image DVD version of Nosferatu is also cool, which is why I own both of the DVDs. You can actully go pretty crazy looking for the best version of Nosferatu (which I did, including considering buying foreign versions and playing the DVDs in my computer, which will play different regions). Here are some resources I used while trying to decide:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/nosferatu-3.htm

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/nosferatu-1/Nosferatu Image vs Kino.html

http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/vergleiche/nos.html

Also, I would suggest Haxan for good silent viewing. I have the Criterion version (which is excellent). I'm not sure if there are any other versions besides the Criterion version out there.