Sinister (2012)

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Jun 26, 2012.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Has anyone heard about this movie yet?
    I honestly think it looks pretty good, it's from the makers of Insidious (which I really enjoyed and got a damn good scare from), it's playing on some of the same plotlines and themes but it looks really creepy either way...

It already has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes out of 10 reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1922777/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Complete with the "No, the evil thing has been in the pictures all along!" bit, this feels very similar to Insidious.

3. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

The trailer is decent enough, though I'm not so sure about Mr. Boogie. Less is more would be the way to go to maximize the character's creep factor, but I'm sure it won't go down that way.

4. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I like the looks of this and I loved Insidious so count me in.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

A friend sent me the link for the trailer a few days ago, like Insidious this is the type of horror film I usually go for. Very anticipated release for me.

6. vampyr789

comes out next week!
    who else is excited?!

7. Lane Jordan

Lane Jordan New Member

8. soxfan666

This had slipped my mind until I saw the trailer on tv the other night. I am very excited for this one. Hopefully it can deliver some scares or at least a few goosebumps.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Looks like just another lame ghost/possession film to me.

10. Spit

Spit Active Member

Yeah. Don't get me wrong I love a good possession film, but recently there seems to be a huge slew of these that were kinda crap. I'll still be checking this out, just with low expectations.

11. vampyr789

based on reviews and audience reactions on IMDb, people are saying it's one of the scariest movies in a while :eek:
    I'm pretty excited to see this

12. soxfan666

Just got back and was very underwhelmed. I love Insidious and had very high hopes for this. Marginal scares, obvious plot, and characters that I didn't care for. Bummer!

13. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

I saw it last week.

I think the soundtrack rocks.

Ethan Hawk always gives a interesting performance.

I was actually quite disturbed by this film, it was the nature of the killings and I won't say more.

I think this did scare me, I watched it without my usual weekend film buffs. The atmosphere is quite enveloping.

I think it's the best horror film this decade so far.

Either way it's entertaining and never ever lets up all the way through.

I think it beats out Insidious, they are both good, but I think Sinster draws you in very early to the atmosphere.

Generally soundtracks aid a film or are there just to be there, this one elevates and feels organic to the story, and it is quite pumping too. I think this film is a very good thriller in it;s own right for the first time.

I'm very impressed.

14. vampyr789

I'm with SeanValen on this, I thought it was one of the best horror films in a while.
    It may have some cliched moments, but I was really impressed and surprised.
    Blows Insidious out of the water, the mood and atmosphere was tense and creepy from the start, the music was crazy, but really made a huge impact.
    Some insane scares and extremely disturbing imagery.

Everyone at least give this a chance, go see it.

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Cliched isn't necessarily the term I'd use. Irony is defined as the audience having knowledge and information the character doesn't. In this case, this film is a 90-minute exercise in extreme irony. Comparisons can be made to Blow-Up, Rosemary's Baby, and The Shining, and Sinister tries to achieve a classiness in its melding of human themes and horror, but it never quite gels. A lot of this has to do with Ethan Hawke bogarting a large majority of screen time. His family is there, and issues boil under the surface, but nothing really comes to a head until the blowout argument between he and his wife - one of the most authentic depictions of a troubled relationship I've seen on screen.

A large portion of the film revolves around Hawke's obsession with uncovering the mystery behind a series of seemingly unrelated family murders. Herein lies the film's largest problem, as what Hawke discovers and the methods he uses are uninteresting in this day and age of countless CSI-style forensic shows and movies. Blowout did a fantastic job of convincing the audience that Travolta's character had an authentic knowledge of the esoteric methods he used to piece together the mystery. Hawke does the majority of his sleuthing on a Macbook.

Hawke, also, is not a strong and interesting enough actor to carry this type of material solo. His initial reaction to viewing the first in a collection of 8mm snuff reels showcases the depth of which his character will play the rest of the film's events.

Though there is a good set up for chills, nothing really has an affect, the least of which is the Slipknot-inspired visage that pops up in the 8mm films. There was great potential to show the effects of the career-obsessed on the homelife, but ultimately the fate the family suffers seems unavoidable not on account of character actions and desires, but on an unfortunate roll of the dice.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  16. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

I felt this was one of the best horror films to come out in years. It's NOT a film that panders to the ADHD generation but instead slowly builds up not unlike "The Shining." The film however, had a few scenes you know were thrown in by studio executives (I'll talk about this under the spoilers warning).

Spoilers:

No, we don't need to see the dead kids running around in the Hallway, the photograph showing the hands on the main character was enough. Implication would have been better.

No, we didn't need to see Baghoul in the end, the child should have simply disappeared.

The final scare was stupid.

Instead of the reveal with the daughter and the poisoning of Hawke, we should have seen Hawke watching the extended cuts of the films. After he notices the poison in his coffee, it should have cut to video footage of Hawk and his family (I felt that this was already implied because of the light being shown on him while he was sleeping, like he was being filmed). It then should have ended with Hawks family being murdered in a super 8 film with Baghoul in the background watching, and then the credits should have run.

I felt they missed the mark on this ending by having the stupid ghost children and Baghoul and having the daughter explain crap... They had the right idea but executed it poorly so an idiotic audience would get it. Ambiguity goes a long way...

I was happy however, Baghoul wasn't turned into a slasher. I really enjoyed the super 8 snuff films and I felt the murders were done in a really creepy way. Despite guessing the twist on who committed the murders, I felt it was still really creepy when we saw "the final cuts."

I know it sounds like I'm bashing it, but this is the best new horror film I've seen in years despite its flaws. The film oozes atmosphere, has a dread inducing sound track and just works on so many levels. I guess I'm knit picking because I felt this film was so good that I sensed studio intervention from a mile away and wish they'd take that crap out to make a perfect horror film.

The film wasn't afraid to be subtle but I feel a directors cut that involved even more subtlty would work to this films advantage.

I wrote this purposefully vague just in case wandering and curious eyes still scan the spoilers. You won't know what I'm talking about unless you've seen the film.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Took my daughter to see this today and while I found the film entertaining it certainly wasn't one of the best horror films of the last decade as a few others said. For one thing it seemed to go on far too long and I figured out the ending before the first half of the film was done. There were a couple of scares and my daughter actual jumped during one scene which was the highlight for me. I've never been a fan of hand held (skaky cam) shots and that always annoys me. Bottom line; if you're a member of this site you should give the film a theatrical viewing. I'm sure the effect won't be nearly as good on home video.

18. SEANVALEN

SEANVALEN Active Member

A production budget of 3 million I read. Very impressive for that money. It's had a 18 milliion weekend, very good, better then Insidious's box office and one of Ethan Hawks best box office films in a long time, he usually gets badluck with box office performances, and I did like his vampire film daybreakers which deserved more money in the coffers.

I think Sinister will become only a victim of expectations. When someone says it's one of the best horror films in years, they may go in with expectations, but I actually went into Sinister having read a review praising it as one of the best horror film in years, and it didn't set me up for a fall, it's like the dark knight rises, a example where hype meets expectations and everyone is happy.

Although on this forum, we have the biggest contrast of film fans who completely disect the film in different ways to maybe illusion you into thinking the film is not good, or too good. My advice is don't read or take too much of what us guys say in this thread, just WATCH IT, AND IF YOU DO WANNA TAKE SOMETHING OUT OF THIS THREAD, THEN TAKE THIS:
    WATCH IT, OR YOU WILL REGRET MISSING THE BEST HORROR FILM THIS DECADE SO FAR, DON'T WAIT FOR THE BLUE RAY/DVD, SUPPORT THIS FILM AND MAKE IT SO BIG, THAT THE SEQUEL GETS COMISSIONED AND MY CONFIDENCE LEVELS AND EGO GETS INCREASED:):D

ARE YOU LISTENING RHETT LEGEND? WATCH IT NOW. THAT IS A ORDER, DON'T WAIT FOR THE SENSATION, ANSWER ME NOW MOTHERFUc k ers.
    Fetch my slippers and I'll throw in a pizza.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  19. soxfan666

^ Although, it wasn't overly impressed with Sinister I do hope people go to support it. The more "R" rated true horror movies we can get released the better. Skip the shit like House at the End of the Road and see this instead!

20. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

I HATE pg-13 horror... Kids kill it... I pay to watch the movie, not listen to some little fuck yak.

Movie going experience:
    Sinister > The Possession

My girlfriend and I went to see The Possession and there was a stupid gun scare because of some of those little brats needed attention. They evacuated the theater and I had to come back and sit through that crap a second time...

The Possession sucked anyway though with that stupid high pitched Daewoo or whatever the fuck that thing was called... :|

Sinister was thankfully all adults and it was a quiet packed house. Sooo nice.