Sinister (2012)

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Jun 26, 2012.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Go see it! Saw it, loved it.

Had completely forgotten it was by the director of The Exorcism of Emily Rose until I noticed the "Directed By" credit after it was over. Very creepy film.

Where Emily Rose was part possession/part courtroom drama, this is part possession/part true crime. Sort of like if Zodiac had a demonic element to it. I really dug this one and want to see it again!

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

From the commercials I was thinking it should be called, "Ethan Hawk in a Grandpa Sweater". I was expecting a lot more negative opinions on this. I may have to check it out after all.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Saw it last night and thought it was very good. I didn't care to much for scene's with the children but I did enjoyed the mystery element. I would recommend it as it's well above average.

4. thehellyousay

thehellyousay New Member

I saw this one yesterday and I'm torn on it. I thought the first hour or so was great with a good amount of atmosphere and dread building with each new discovery. After that, it feels like it went on generic horror autopilot and had all of the things I had enjoyed earlier sucked out of it.

A number of folks mention liking the score, but I'm not in that camp. I found myself getting distracted by it too often. It telegraphs some decent scares that wind up not having any impact because of it.

All of those criticisms aside, it's definitely worth a watch.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Took a chance on this on Tuesday and really really liked it.

Sinister opens with a truly terrifying glimpse into the events that bring Ellison to the home, a static 8mm home movie that's unflinching take is grisly, haunting, and sets the tone for the rest of the film. Atmospheric and slow-burning, Sinister is a welcome return to real horror missing from well over the past decade where horror films have become watered down rehashes of nothing but jump scares. Scott Derrickson lets the actors sink into their roles by using longer takes that don't cut away, giving tension time to build, and letting things organically loosen up with scenes of expertly placed humour as well as real family drama. Ethan Hawke plays Ellison with a great amount of restraint, showing a family man caught up in his work who during his time of focus ignores those around him until he himself comes to a breaking point. Also, the film's sinister events effectively turn the found footage genre on it's head by correctly incorporating a frightening use for the genre: the 8mm home movies of the past victims, which are both beautifully haunting as well as genuinely terrifying. Sinister manages to actually get under your skin and disturb. It's not overly violent, it's not overly graphic, but it plays it's cards right and knows how to scare via true suspense. Sinister is a great new horror film that's worth checking out. Ignore the marketing as it's marketed incorrectly and just give it a shot. Plus, it's got Ulver and Sunn O))) on the soundtrack used to great effect as well as Christopher Young's brooding score.

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I just got back from seeing this, and...

I definitely agree that that first shot of the hanging is very strong. It creeped me out and and made me brace myself for a terrifying movie. And it does deliver a few sharp jolts in the spooky night time scenes with a frightened Ethan Hawke investigating strange noises in his dark house.

But... The way the supernatural angle plays out totally sinks it for me... Spoilers: By the time the ghostly kids start running about the house, it becomes obvious what is going to happen. One of the Oswalt kids will become possessed and kill his family. The professor's and deputy's bits of exposition near the end are totally unnecessary, and by the end, you'll be going: "Oh, it was one of those ancient-Babylonian-deity-traps-possessed-child-on-Super 8-after-family-slaying movies..." It simply kills its own mystery - some iconic horrors need a whole franchise to accomplish that, but this one does it in just one movie. The final scare is a a real howler, by the way.

So for me, this is something of a misfire. Not as aggrevating as Drag Me to Hell, but I'd probably rate it lower than Insidious.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This movie was fucking awful. It had such a strong premise and there were parts that were genuinely scary but it falls flat on its face. It's wildly inconsistent. It goes from being very smart and atmospheric to just lazy. The last act of the film just ruins it. Perfect example of a good idea wrecked by terrible execution.

I was hoping it would be a lot like Insidious, a movie that was about 10 times better than this turned out to be. What a disappointment.

~Matt

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I just got back from this and liked it well enough. The 8mm movies that Hawke watches are the best part of the film (the lawnmower!), but it loses footing as it becomes more supernatural. For fans of the film and the director in episodes 13 & 14 of the SMovieMakers podcast (http://smodcast.com/channels/smoviemakers/), Kevin Smith talks making horror with Scott Derrickson, writer/director of Sinister, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and Hellraiser: Inferno. There is a lot of good stuff in here about the business of horror, but I love the stories about Blumhouse Productions, the company behind Sinister and the Paranormal Activity series. Their secret to success? Keeping budgets low (nothing over $5 million) and giving the filmmakers complete creative control. I had no idea that Insidious (the company's last non-P.A. horror film) only cost $800,000. They're really putting all their money up on the screen!

9. Marclar

Marclar Member

Thanks to all those who gave their reviews on this. Would be nice to see a few more impressions about the film. I have all my weekends tied up for the next month and it would be hard for me to get out and see the movie....but if it's really worth it. Please, tell us more!

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I just saw this recently as well. Before I start getting all negative, I will say that it was a good time at the theater. It's a well made film that shows care, polish, and a bit of intelligence.

High points for having the characters realize that they should leave the house and then leaving the house. Also nice they way that leaving the house worked into them continuing the curse, even if that was telegraphed way early

But, as fun as it was to watch and as nice as it was to hear all the kids in the theater scream and jump, etc., the film really lacked creativity and overall was fairly superficial. The design and performance of the ghosts was less than inspired. And Mr. Boogie really seemed like a reject from a black metal band. It almost seemed like they were trying to give the goth crowd a new costume idea for next Halloween. The central premise is interesting, but it really could have been fleshed out into some larger sort of picture. I think the best horror films delve into some sort of larger social/psychological fear and examine and exploit that. This film doesn't really do that and suffers a bit for it.

In the end though, it's a really good disposable Halloween fright ride. But. it's not something that you will remember for long and I doubt that anyone would want to watch it multiple times. But, the craft that went into making the film shows and makes it a very enjoyable run for the time invested.

ADDENDUM:

The sound design is excellent even if it is a bit ham-fisted

Since many are comparing it to Insidious, I'd say that Sinister is not as good as the first half of Insidious, but it's a lot better than the last half of Insidious.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I have to agree with what others have said. I enjoyed it quite a bit but I wish it had been better and held up more under scrutiny. It started off really strong but I felt like the final explanation/mythology really undermined the early scary parts of the film. Mr. Boogie was a very creepy image but made no impression as a character at all. Too bad because the way they set him up initially he could have been a nightmare image like Freddy Krueger in the original NOES. Still, it was very well made and I would definitely say it's worth seeing. (Though what was up with the son's hair? Do 12-13 year olds wear their hair as long as that? I thought he was a girl the first time he appeared.)

12. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Caught this last night. I had not heard of it before, and did not know until reading this thread it was from the makers of insidious. But my thoughts last night were that this movie was a cross between insidious, Amityville Horror and The Shining. It was a spooky movie for sure, and some parts were very well executed with the viewing of the 8mm films. I liked Ethan Hawke in it, it was good to see him in a role like this and whilst some on this thread have criticized his performance in this, I found his role to be very well played. I went in expecting not much, but enjoyed the movie from start to end. Speaking of the end, it wasn't too hard to predict. As for the the Mr Boogie (Slipknot mask lol) character, it was underused in my opinion and didn't explain anything of the origins or meanings of it. Maybe a sequel would delve further into this. Final thoughts are 7/10, not fantastic but certainly entertaining enough for most horror fans to kill 90 minutes without looking for the forward button.

13. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I finally caught this one. Like Insidious, it did a lot of things right before falling apart in the final third. The first hour is intriguing and admirably restrained. And the super 8 films are authentic and disturbing. I was really enjoying the first hour.

But it all crashes down with the terrible scene where the spirits are running all over the house. Everything after that is stupid and obvious--including the ultimate resolution, which is visible from 100 miles away. There are plenty of clues early on. And I knew where it was headed very early. But after the spirits start to appear ANYONE can guess what's about to happen. I haven't seen many films that telegraph upcoming plot points that blatantly. It shares one more weakness with Insidious too--an overly broad supporting turn. Like the Beavis and Butthead ghost hunters, Deputy So and So seems to have wandered in from a different movie. His quirkiness is obviously intended to provide some levity and small town atmosphere. But there's nothing authentic in the performance or conception of the character.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the similarities to The Poughkeepsie Tapes. They both mine the found footage vein and feature similar looking villains. It's clearly an influence on this film.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw this last night and freakin' loved it. One of the best horror films of the new millennium (although I don't know how well it will hold up on repeat viewings). I do agree that there were some jump scares they went to far too often, but it's made up for with those really freaky Super 8 films. For one thing, I've always had a morbid fascination with hanging, as in the sight of a corpse hanged by the neck really creeps me out. This movie ramped that unease even further, watching that family die as they stopped kicking one by one. Then that lawnmower film, even though you had an idea what would happen, they still made it a shocking reveal.

I'm looking at the previous posts here, and most are from 2012 which I assume meant the theatrical release. A lot of films do work well in a crowded theater, but not this one. I watched this very late at night, by myself (in other words, much like Ethan Hawke's character) and I was getting really creeped out by it. That's something that hasn't happened in years.

If you skipped this one like I did (partly because of the generic title.....seriously, what happened to good titles to horror movies?), check it out. And watch it alone.

15. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Although I liked Sinister quite a bit, I suggest if you want to see a film with a similar premise, go with Resolution, it does it far better.

16. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Currently streaming on Netflix.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Resolution didn't do much for me. I just couldn't buy into the characters. Especially the drug addicted friend. I personaly enjoyed Sinister much more.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  18. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I did the same thing and had a few drinks too. I posted a review about it on the Horror forum a few weeks back. The movie is really good.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Link?

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I completely disregarded this when it came out, as I do with about 90% of the current slate of horror films. God help me, but I may actually take a look, after all this positive talk. As long as it's available on Netflix.