Sinister (2012)

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Jun 26, 2012.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I didn't like this one that much. It had a great setup, but once it was revealed what was behind it all, I came away very disappointed. Terrible and cheesy design.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You and me both, man, not to mention the incredibly dull title. Hell, I saw it on my program grid (I have most of the major movie channels) and ignored it. But a friend recommended it, it cost nothing more than the space on my DVR, so I went with it and was very pleasantly (and more important, UNpleasantly) surprised

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I didn't like this one at all. It bored me nearly to tears...and yet, I thought THE CONJURING was terrific. I hated INSIDIOUS as well, so who knows. I doubt I will give this one a second try for at least a few years as there is too much else I could be watching.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, I too hated Insidious, but I thought The Conjuring was just average. So, as they say, different strokes...

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

What did you think of the reveal though? I thought the scene with the
    ghost children
    was terribly bad, and it took away all the tension was built up to that point for me. It was really working for me though up to that point, when you weren't sure what exactly was going on, or who was behind it all. The film viewing was definitely effective.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I dunno, I think some of the scenes actually worked well. I thought the scene where one of them was
    drawing on the wall in the daughter's room
    really got to me.

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I enjoyed this flick quite a bit. Better than I expected. Some great genuine scares - even when I know something was about to happen I still jumped a bit when it happened. I'll take this over the The Conjuring, but I did like that too.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh yeah, and I was able to grab a Blu-Ray off half.com Brand New/Sealed with slipcover for $5.98 :)

9. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

It's in between my The Ward and V/H/S reviews.

http://horror.com/forum/showpost.php?p=961451&postcount=1085

Sinister -

I watched this late at night and from the opening shot I was into it. At first I thought the tree was picking people up. That must have been the alcohol working. But it's a very spooky shot. Anyway, the character they created in this movie is the real deal. But I don't know if I want to see a sequel. Too many chances for a mess up. After the movie I was freaked out, not looking outside windows when I passed them. I'm still kind of shaky about it. I think since I was young the idea of a creature watching, basically in the open, was scary. I think there was an old 80s horror music video by the Ghostbusters guy called "Somebody's Watching You" that started my paranoia with that sort of thing. Like everyone was a creature or zombie. Even the mailman.

I like how every character in Sinister is smart, even the writer who for his story and family's financial safety wants to figure out what's going on. Even though he is endangering his family just by being where he is. The way it plays out and is setup you'll want to figure out what's going on too. Which is interesting as it's like we are with the writer watching the movies as he is. I can't recommend this one enough.

10. Christy

Christy Member

Such a great movie but the ending ruined it.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anyone planning to check out the sequel next weekend?

I re-watched the first film last night on blu-ray in preparation. Really took me by surprise in the theater, as I was expecting another lame ghost / possession movie. It ended up being really creepy and well done.

I didn't think it held up as well the second viewing at home. It got a little too bogged down with scenes of Ethan Hawke brooding or wandering around in the dark. Needed to lose about 10 minutes. It's still very good though.

Although interestingly enough, the deleted scenes have about 5 minutes worth of material with a character who was completely deleted from the film (played by Angela Bettis) that should have been left in. I think they were trying to contain everything to the family and the house, but her little subplot opens up what the neighbors / locals think about the crime and Hawke's character. It's mentioned several times throughout the movie, but never really shown. It's a really interesting aspect of the story that should have been explored more in the film.

Even though the two featurettes on the blu-ray have very little to do with the making of the film, the "Living In A House Of Death" featurette was actually really fun and quite creepy. I was watching it alone in the middle of the night and it spooked me quite a bit. Did anyone watch this, or have they heard of the real crime before?

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Half of the scares were telegraphed, but it was a decent horror movie.

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Loved the first movie, which I also re-watched again recently on Netflix. I'll be checking out the sequel, so here's hoping it also delivers.

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I need to get the Blu-ray to see those deleted scenes.

With many movies I think will be good or horror in particular I just wait to see it at home. Movie theater crowds can be hit or miss these days.

15. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Did anyone go see the sequel? I saw it earlier tonight. My friend slept through most of it but I enjoyed it okay. It's definitely not great and sometimes feels more like a "Children of the Corn" sequel instead of anything related to "Sinister." If you didn't like the ghost kids in the first one you will probably not like this one at all. I'd say wait for Netflix and keep your hopes pretty low and you might have a good time with it. How's that for a ringing endorsement? o_O

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw it, but I think the boards were down at the time. First was definitely better, but I enjoyed it. Reviews were really hard on it, I didn't think it deserved the bashing.

It didn't really work as a scary movie, since we know what is going on from the first movie. The ghost kids were running around in broad daylight throughout the whole movie, and it just wasn't scary. But where this sequel succeeds is the characters. They're much better this time around. I thought the leads had great chemistry. I really liked that they ran with Ransone's character, he's a really fun actor who is usually delegated to small roles (his appearance at the end of the recent Tangerine is quite memorable).

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Though I did not like it as much as the first I still enjoyed it. Changing the setting, characters (save the cop) and story arc made the film at the very least interesting to me. I was prepared for this to be somewhat of a lesser experience because once you take away the mystery aspect of the Bughul it becomes pretty standard horror fare, couple this with the novelty of the 'home movies' wearing thin and it was bound to be a step down for me at least.
    I still thought it was heads and shoulders above Insidious 3 which just felt too similar to the previous installments without shifting the 'further' into the surreal horror overdrive it could have progressed into. Needless to say much better than Annabelle as well.
    Can't believe I'm saying it but I missed Ethan Hawke, Shannyn Sossamon on the other hand was quite accomplished in her role and pretty damned easy on the eyes as well. She's certainly come a long way since being Mick Jagger's video girl du jour in the 'God Gave Me Everything' promo video.