Site upgrade, downtime scheduled to begin on August 22nd

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Aug 19, 2015.

By Dave on Aug 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

We're about four years overdue for an upgrade but sometimes you just have to accept that it is better late than never.

The weekend of August 22nd and August 23rd, the site will be temporarily unavailable as I give the forum software and the front end a much needed upgrade. This is a complete overhaul - we are changing forum software and changing the front end software as well. My plan is to upgrade the forum first - that should only be a few hours of downtime. I will then post a link to the new forum on the main page. The front end of the web site - the reviews, primarily, will continue to be offline until Sunday evening. All forum accounts, messages, avatars, and private messages will transfer over.

What to expect with the upgrade:

-Full mobile support site wide
    -Facebook (etc) login for forum
    -Embedded video support (post directly into threads)

There's countless other small features, but those are the main ones we are looking to implement. Most importantly, the site will no longer be limited by a front end software (vbPortal) that is no longer supported. With this new front end software, my plan is to make the site more community driven. You guys post news tidbits, reviews, etc. FYI we plan on giving away some $25.00 Amazon gift certificate to those that can write some quality reviews to post on the main site, so get cracking. The community gets to vote on which ones are the best. More details to be posted on that soon.

As always, change is bad. In this case, change is needed. While I will try to keep the look of the site as similar as I can, the change will inevitably be unwelcome by some. I get that. Believe me, it's not going to be perfect at first, especially the main site. A lot of fine tuning will be needed. It's going to be a work in progress so please be patient. At some point I need to 'flip the switch' and next weekend is going to be it. I'm happy with the progress I have made on the test site but it's still far from perfect.

Lastly, transferring over all the reviews is going to require some manual work. It's not significant; maybe 5 minutes a review. But do the math on several hundred reviews and you can understand why they won't all be available day one. My hope is to have all the high def, laserdisc, and other reviews posted for next weekend. The DVD reviews will be posted over a few months. However, the old reviews will still be accessible until that is complete.

Thanks!

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Mok
      Mok
      Right on to the mobile support! Thanks!
    2. Workshed
      Workshed
      Great, Dave! thank you for investing your personal time in keeping the site alive.

BTW: For all you film-trackers: given the loss of July 2015 data (no one's fault), I went ahead and copied my 2015 tracking data to a Word doc and saved it. You know, JUUUUUUUUST in case. :D
      Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    3. Dave
      Dave
    4. Workshed
      Workshed
    5. MorallySound
      MorallySound
      I also track my film watching on Letterboxd. I highly recommend sighing up if you haven't!
    6. Hatchetwarrior
      Hatchetwarrior
      Cool shit. Looking forward to the upgrade. The site could use a fresh coat of paint. :D
    7. Workshed
      Workshed
      Wow, an upgrade! thank you.
    8. Myron Breck
      Myron Breck
      Thanks, Dave! Your efforts are very much appreciated!
    9. othervoice1
    10. X-human
      X-human
      Onward and upward. That's what I always say.

Thanks for all your work Dave, I'm sure the new site will be a beaut.
    11. chancetx
      chancetx
      Thanks for letting us know about the down time and for all your hard work, Dave. It's greatly appreciated! :banana:

Can you assuage my fears about the Facebook login you mention and assure me that I can go on using my current username/login without having to login through Facebook as well? I have a Facebook account but don't like linking it to every other site I visit. :nervous:
    12. Dave
      Dave
      You don't have to login through fb...
    13. Dobby
      Dobby
      I doubt anyone on the forum would care if your a gay pre-op drag queen tranny out of West Hollywood. Of course that is not true so I wouldn't be all nervious, sweeting and loosing sleep over that. :lol:
    14. foller
      foller
      No big deal but there is a mistake in the dates mentioned. The title says 29th, the first post 19th and 20th of August.
    15. chancetx
      chancetx
      But my pre-op drag queen tranny friends on Facebook really frown on anything horror related... ;)

(Thanks for the info, Dave)
    16. Dave
      Dave
      Thanks.
    17. ImmortalSlasher
      ImmortalSlasher
      Sounds like a good upgrade. I can't wait to see how it looks.
    18. Dave
      Dave
      What would you guys think about flipping the switch this weekend but only having the forum itself up and running for about a week?

Honestly I'm making so many changes on the test site and while I think most of them will transfer over, I'm concerned I might have to redo a lot of these steps. That would suck.
    19. Katatonia
      Katatonia
      Anytime sounds good to me, I'd just like to know when the downtime is going to be. :nervous: I need my horror news fix! :lol: