Site upgrade, downtime scheduled to begin on August 22nd

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Aug 19, 2015.

By Dave on Aug 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

We're about four years overdue for an upgrade but sometimes you just have to accept that it is better late than never.

The weekend of August 22nd and August 23rd, the site will be temporarily unavailable as I give the forum software and the front end a much needed upgrade. This is a complete overhaul - we are changing forum software and changing the front end software as well. My plan is to upgrade the forum first - that should only be a few hours of downtime. I will then post a link to the new forum on the main page. The front end of the web site - the reviews, primarily, will continue to be offline until Sunday evening. All forum accounts, messages, avatars, and private messages will transfer over.

What to expect with the upgrade:

-Full mobile support site wide
    -Facebook (etc) login for forum
    -Embedded video support (post directly into threads)

There's countless other small features, but those are the main ones we are looking to implement. Most importantly, the site will no longer be limited by a front end software (vbPortal) that is no longer supported. With this new front end software, my plan is to make the site more community driven. You guys post news tidbits, reviews, etc. FYI we plan on giving away some $25.00 Amazon gift certificate to those that can write some quality reviews to post on the main site, so get cracking. The community gets to vote on which ones are the best. More details to be posted on that soon.

As always, change is bad. In this case, change is needed. While I will try to keep the look of the site as similar as I can, the change will inevitably be unwelcome by some. I get that. Believe me, it's not going to be perfect at first, especially the main site. A lot of fine tuning will be needed. It's going to be a work in progress so please be patient. At some point I need to 'flip the switch' and next weekend is going to be it. I'm happy with the progress I have made on the test site but it's still far from perfect.

Lastly, transferring over all the reviews is going to require some manual work. It's not significant; maybe 5 minutes a review. But do the math on several hundred reviews and you can understand why they won't all be available day one. My hope is to have all the high def, laserdisc, and other reviews posted for next weekend. The DVD reviews will be posted over a few months. However, the old reviews will still be accessible until that is complete.

Thanks!

Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Comments

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Dave, Aug 19, 2015.