Slasher (Chiller TV Series)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Apr 13, 2016.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anyone else here watching Slasher on Chiller? It's clearly riding the waves of the glut of slasher TV series on the air right now (Pretty Little Liars, Scream: The TV Series, Scream Queens, etc), but this one is a bit more along the lines of Harper's Island if not quite as good. Like Harper's, they have killed off at least one character per episode so far.

The first season is only 8 episodes, with the finale airing on Friday night.

I had been saving it to binge watch, and have been watching one episode per night since Friday. I have one tonight, one tomorrow, and the finale on Friday.

SLASHER.jpg

Thirty years ago, in the sleepy community of Waterbury, a killer known as "The Executioner" murdered Sarah Bennett's parents. Now Sarah and her husband Dylan have returned to town, only to find herself the centerpiece in a series of horrifying murders centered around the seven deadly sins. It seems "The Executioner" is back. But if Tom Winston - the original Executioner - is behind bars, who is the new person behind the mask? As the murders escalate, long-buried secrets are revealed, making everyone around Sarah a suspect…or a victim.

2. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I've been watching and mostly enjoying Slasher.

I really liked Harper's Island and have been craving a similar show for some time. While I agree that this isn't as good, it comes much closer than other recent TV horror. In addition to the kill-per-episode framework, Slasher resembles Harper's Island in a few other ways: both were filmed in Canada, each features Irish actresses playing lead characters with similar backstories, and Brandon Jay McLaren appears in both series.

The biggest problem I have with the show is Katie McGrath's cringe-inducing performance as the nominal heroine. I obviously don't expect Emmy award-winning acting in a junky slasher series, but I find her particularly bad (and her accent is constantly slipping). By no means is this a dealbreaker however, and she is rather lovely (although she weirdly resembles a female Tommy Wiseau -- or maybe I'm just imagining it).

Overall it's been a pretty decent inaugural season and first original effort from Chiller. The whodunit narrative is fun, the kills are often creative, and there's some good production value. I'm looking forward to the finale and hope it returns for the planned anthology-style second season.

3. CPT HOOK

Have to agree about the lead actress. Her accent jumps from American to Canadian to Irish sometimes within a single scene. Fortunately, the show is just pure slasher fluff, so it doesn't bother me as much as if I would have to take it seriously.

I still haven't watched episode 7, and the finale airs in a few hours. Enjoying the show so far, but have to say I was less than enamored with episode 6. It diverts away from the slasher plot entirely and basically tries to do the movie Room in an hour. Hopefully it'll get back on track for the final two episodes.

Fun show nonetheless.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I watched the entire season in one day :D

Loved it!
    Especially since it wasn't aimed at the stupid and annoying teen angst crowd, and instead involving adults.

There was some nice twists as well. Though I figured out who the killer was, after about two episodes :D

And damn did this one bring on the gore. Especially one, involving a sawmill blade, was jawdropping, as I expected them to cut away. But nope, we got to see it all!

Kinda funny that I found the original killer, to be one of the few characters that I cared about, as most of the other characters was pure fucking assholes :D
    The town was a loony bin!

Never saw Harper's Island. Might give that one a watch as well.

5. CPT HOOK

I thought it kind of fell apart in the final 3 episodes. Still, it was just lite and fun, and with only 8 episodes it's not a huge time investment. If there's a season 2, it's supposed to start completely from scratch with an entirely new story. Even though I was a little disappointed in the show, I will definitely return for season 2 if this is true.

If you enjoyed this show, you'll definitely want to check out Harper's Island. Still the best slasher TV series by far, in my opinion. The entire series is available on DVD. And as TheWZA mentioned, both Harper's Island and Slasher share quite a few connections.

6. CPT HOOK

Shout Factory is releasing season one on blu-ray on July 12th.

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

This is currently on Netflix. I'm only through the first four episodes but so far it's a lot better than I expected.

8. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'll check this out. It sounds good.

9. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched the last four episodes this week, still fairly high on it. A step up on the MTV Scream series, IMO.

10. CPT HOOK

Any word on a season two, or has this been officially cancelled?

Season one aired around this time last year, so if it's gonna happen, now would be the time.

11. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Haven't heard but I hope so. Enjoyed the first season.

12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

13. CPT HOOK

NetFlix has acquired season two as a NetFlix original.

Slasher 2: Guilty Party premieres on Netflix on October 17th.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. CPT HOOK

Season Two is now available on NetFlix!

Excited to check it out!

Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.
  15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watching the first episode of season two, and holy shit does it deliver on the gore :D

That chainsaw murder was brutal as fuck!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM