Slasher flicks you don't like

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Jan 12, 2009.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

OMG!! Thank you!!! :D :D :D
    its the best right!?!?!

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

As much as I personally enjoy Madman, it's a terrible movie. The performances suck, the score's terrible, a lot of the kills are stupid, the ending's a letdown, and the whole movie is just cheesy. (But for some reason I still like it.) It's just an odd movie, it's quite off-beat, and not always in a good way. It's almost an acquired taste and I can totally understand why people hate this movie. You expect something like Friday the 13th or The Burning out of it, and well...that's not exactly what you get.

~Matt

3. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Matt said it best.The movie is a cinematic train wreck rife with every horror film no-no ever committed to celluloid,yet it..works.As early 80s drive-in cheese.Nuzzled up against a similar no-budget quickie sickie.

The leading lady(Gaylen Ross/Alexis Dubin(WTF?!)looks like a pop-eyed fish thats just been ejected from the water,and worse yet she has revolving hot tub sex with Tony Fish("TP"-this just keeps getting better),prompting me to believe the director may have been hungry for seafood at the time of casting.

Old Marz utters "Woof" a lot when leaping from the shadows onto unsuspecting prey to ventilate their flesh with his poorly-groomed paws.Points to Giannone for killing off his heroine as well as would-be hero,in gruesome fashion.Points recalled for having the dumb bitch noisily clamber into the fridge,and even manage to die annoyingly.I'm not one to call women ugly,but its a wonder Jan Claire's rodent mug didn't shatter every camera lens on the production before the crew could wrap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Slaughter High. Didn't do much for me back in the day, was even worse re-watching it a few weeks ago. I did try to like it but no dice.

The Mutilator. I'm always on the fence with that one. There are times when I enjoy the badness, but on my last viewing I couldn't make it all the way through.

Return To Horror High is just horrible, but I learned to enjoy Final Exam. It is possible ;)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I share the hatred for Return to Horror High. It had the potential to be a pretty smart horror film, but somehow (I can't totally remember, it's been a while since I saw it) but somehow they FUCKED IT UP LARGE.

~Matt

6. Whoa, dude, we got a lot of the same dis-interest in the same supr-sucky titles. Interesting is that I was gonna name most of those. Interesting to me.

Anyway, gotta say some more general Slasher titles I don't care for and only own if that cause I'm a completeist:

Halloween : H20 (far too un-scary and trendy for me, plus fuck the makers of this dullard "official" sequel for ignoring the best of the bunch, Part 4 and onward).

Sleepaway Camp (1983 original). If it wasn't for some kitch value and the "shocker" ending, then this up-state New Yawk hyper annoying accented turd would have been long forgotten, which I feel it always should have had. The fun late '80s sequels from Michael Simpson (obscure but fun director of Fast Food and Funworld) are infinately MUCH more fun and stage blood filled. So glad they're in my long out of print "bloody" Red Cross-style survival pack boxset.

Sorry to my fellow hardcore Slasher & Giallo fanatics and collectors, but the original Sleepaway Camp has always been pure shit in my eyes.

Scream 2 & 3. Gotta agree that the first is still a good film, not matter who says so, but fuck the un-needed sequels. The first ending is definately for me, anyway.

Terror on Tour. One very obscure Slasher with a KISS-style middle of the road rock band who perform Alice Cooper-style late '70s theatrics on stage. Used to haev an old Media home entertainment VHS tape of this little pile of shit a few years ago from an Amazon 3rd party seller. Don Edmunds first two Ilsa films are much nicer to me. Believe me this one should stay buried. It's not really bloody and the Chicago land accents are pretty thick 'n rough to get through. Plus the over all story line and ending to me made very little sense. It's almost as bad as the super-cheap Return to Horror High that many of us own for some reason, only a but worse (or course what else chold we expect from a film quickly shot over a 6 day period as Mr. Edmunds says?).

Home Sweet Home. This late 1983 film was a rare early apperance from former exercise geru Jake Steinfeld (remember him?). Just so god awful that the two times in the late '90s I rented it form a Hollywood Video when they were booming, I don't even remember finishing it, which I found odd.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's a terrible film. I've seen it once or twice (I don't really know how someone has the patience to watch it more than that). The ending is one of the best the genre has to offer but the rest of the film...it's hard to understand what they were really going for. Personally, I've never really understood all the "love" for it. I too enjoyed the sequels much more. Then there's this talk of how the original was "brilliant". No it wasn't, simply because it wasn't approached properly.

~Matt

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It's not a good movie but it is a great slasher. It OOZES sleaze, has memorable characters, is fun/bad, and has that ending that as a kid just got etched in my brain forever.

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I'll give it that. The ending never leaves you.

~Matt

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Quote: Sleepaway Camp (1983 original). If it wasn't for some kitch value and the "shocker" ending, then this up-state New Yawk hyper annoying accented turd would have been long forgotten, which I feel it always should have had.
    [END]

I always found that ending shot to be the funniest thing I ever saw. Hardly a shocker when I first saw it.
    Back in the day, some kids at school rented it and were so disturbed by it. Well, they were at that age where gender issues can be scary, but that ending killed it for me. I really thought it was supposed to be a comedy at the time.

11. To Matt and Wago:

Thanks, fellas. Yeah the final facial expression on the bad make-up FX mask that the supposedly drunk 20-something who had to wear it had. Damn it was very funny. Gotta say I agree: Never understood all of the love for it. The same with the overrated by fan boys Madman (1981). Saw it twice last year on IFC, and laughed through it. Found it dull, bloodless when it needed to be more suitably icky and lifeless and way too goofy. Will never understand why the good ol' rural east Kentucky boys of www.deadpit.com and many others have SUCH a fanboy hard-on for this idiotic and forgettable show ... *nods head sadly* :sleepy:

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

...how dare you...anyone who knows me well enough knows that i love Sleepaway Camp & Madman with a passion...shame on you!!

...im kidding!! :D but really i love those b/c Madman is so bad, but i love it. Sleepaway Camp is my all time favorite slasher...i always get a kick out of it!

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm not going to defend my love for Madman. I've seen far better films, and non-genre films, that are nowhere near as cleverly shot and beautifully lit. No, the acting may not all be naturalistic, and yes, the music is cheesy, but this film is not without technical merrits. I don't think it can be called bad as much as uneven, and anyone who considers it among the worst arguably has a lot of holes in his frame of horror reference.

Go watch The Forest, or the many of those direct to dvd horrors we've seen in the last ten years (Haunted Forest, Infested, The Bog Creatures, Cubbyhouse, Island of the Dead) - that will give you some perspective. ;)

14. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

Madman is dumb as shit at times and the kills tend to be a bit weak, but I think it's got a really cool vibe throughout the flick that makes it at least somewhat worthwhile. I also like that it's set during what looks like the late fall rather than the summer, which makes it stand out a little more.

It's not a favorite of mine, but I think it's worthwhile.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Too late - someone on the last page already did.

I'll tell you what's up with Return to Horror High- its' most memorable moments are all bad. But I do remember very vividly that while watching the movie, not only could I and would I say that I've seen FAR worse, but there were several scenes that I really enjoyed. But like I'm saying, they're just not scenes you walk away remembering. Other than Maureen McCormack rubbing blood all over herself. At least, in the vein of intentionally-bad self-referencial horror, it was better than Blood Diner! I also found it more interesting in the twist-department than April Fools Day and more satisfying than Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2, which nearly put me to sleep. I just wish like hell I could remember the scenes I liked so much. This movie inspires amnesia like nothing else! Except for the bad scenes. Which admittedly, carried the movie into nearly the first 40 or so minutes. And must have inspired Cutting Class (hope you know what scene I'm thinking about), another movie which was much worse than Return to Horror High.

No, Randy was saying all movie sequels suck altogether. I mean, you should have noticed that the first sequels they discussed were not horror films- Terminator, Aliens, and Godfather.

That's amusing, because I congratulate H20 for doing few things right. But one of them is that they had the good taste to realize parts 4, 5, and 6 were crap.

I knew right away when watching what the problem with the movie was- nobody in the cast was really a professional actor. Maybe the killer was, but aside from her, the entire cast were such terrible actors, it was painful to watch their scenes. Especially the old black man. No question he was the worst actor of the bunch. And those 2 young women were horrible singers, that scene with them singing for the businessman was worse than watching auditions on American Idol when you agree with Simon!

Wanna bet?

:p

Well, it's very unique. Very fresh. The deaths are very creative. The plot is very interesting. It's hard to turn it off once you've started. And it's practically one of the only sleazy exploitation-horror films I can safely say gives exploitation a good name. I can't say that about almost any other film that comes to mind and I'm a horror buff just like the rest of you, give me a second and you'll get a mouthful of horror titles. So, I've given it a serious and substancial thought and I'd go on record saying: that all adds up to - that good a movie.

In all honesty, most slasher films are crap anyway. The vast majority of them are completely void of intelligence, ambition, and an interesting plot. So, when you put it in proper context, yeah Sleepaway Camp is "that" good a slasher movie.

You think only hardcore slasher and giallo fans like Sleepaway Camp? I'm telling you people, one of the only reasons I like it is because of how different it is from the pack of typical, routine slashers and giallos. I'm no kind of self-proclaimed serious aficionado of these kinds of movies. Because most of them stink. But Sleepaway Camp stands out from the pack.

Well, I like it as a movie and I think it's better than probably 99% of most slasher films. And many horror movies are "fun/bad," even many that people call masterpieces. Myself included. But I say that "bad" isn't bad at all. It's just different. Which is key. We have to have different films in the genre because if it's all the same, it gets stale. And there's nothing worse in my eyes than a stale formula. I say "fun/bad" doesn't affect its' quality at all.

Thought of some others:

Haute Tension, Halloween 4-6, Freddy Vs. Jason (if it qualifies), Tamara, Martin (because he basically killed everyone with needles and razor blades), 8MM (if it qualifies)

16. Whoa, really? Hmm someone remind me to never watch films with our good friend here. *lol* H20 I loathed cause it's overly trendy scored and cast and lookin', and I honestly found quite dull. Didn't like the obvious multiple Myers mask the Shape acotr (Chris Durand) wore through out as they changed cause of bullshit reasons (and only one of 'em, John Carl Beuchler's re-sculpting of the Part 6 mold, was any good), and in all honestly I felt Part 4 and most of the theatrical cut of Part 6, reguardless of how ridiculous, at least didn't put me to sleep the way this sleepy "official" sequel did. {art 4 (The Return of Michael Myers) isn't crap, it's actually a well made film. Glad I got the DiviMax special edition of it. However people can feel free to mostly shit on Part 5 (The Revenge), as I only got it as a completeist and for the commentary track from 2006, so I honestly don't care that much.

Plus actually many of us consider Part 4 a damn good sequel. It's a shame writer Alan B. McElroy (Spawn, Rapid Fire) and director Dwight Little (Rapid Fire) didn't continue on with Part 5 when the series unfortunately took a nose-dive with the Man in Black and Thorn celtic symbol shit. *sighs* Ah well. To each they're own.

Also I didn't think only hardcore Slasher & Giallo fanatics and collectors such as myself would like it, but that is the majority, for example, who like me and many others, who would purchases the Survival Pack of the first 3 films. And I don't think most Slashers stink or suck or whatever. Interesting. But alas, to each they're own. It would seem most of it's cult appeal comes from it's underaged 13 year old and 14 year old cast of un-known and obscure thesbians and it's infamous, goofy ending, which is more general weird to me then shocking. *shrugs*

Mostly in a Slasher, as a big collector, I enjoy things like Intruder that I finally got in and reviewed over and enjoyed, with inventive camera work, solid death set piece sequences, and a fairly good strong willed heroine who doesn't act to dumb. But to each they're own. Many people watch for several reasons and all of that, ect ...

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Don't get me wrong, DVD-fan-9, I like Sleepaway Camp A LOT. Always have.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Cool.

I don't care. Sorry if that bothers you at all, but it's true. Michael Myers being turned into a "family member" stalker / killer was bullshit from the getgo and has nothing to do with the original movie. That's the only thing that kept the series going through installments like 4 and 5. And it's incredibly weak. As are the characters in 4, 5, and 6. The films also were mostly void of style and had weak music scores, so H20 is no better, no worse. Going into technical details on the mask and the score is pointless. Especially since all I said about that film is that it was smarter than 4, 5, and 6. I agree with you that it's not great and should have been better. But part 4, though it has a few good scenes, is still a failure. And I have nothing but contempt for the people in the 1990's who bitched and complained that every slasher movie was like Scream. At best, that trend only lasted 4 years. The current trends we're seeing have lasted nearly 6 now, have resulted in an across the board blandness and sameness in every popular subgenre, and are draining every last ounce of vitality from the horror genre. I seem to be the only person concerned about that. :mad:

Agreed. But, are you saying you need it to be shocking? Or that you have no room for it to be weird? That you need it to make sense or be more like all the other slashers? And since you kind of brought them up first, the majority who watched Sleepaway Camp did in fact find it shocking. However, I agree with you that it was mostly weird. Of course, it was more than weird. I didn't find the ending very shocking, but it is a very shocking movie. And it's got a lot more to offer than just a shocking ending. If you didn't see it, I doubt you were really looking. And hell, I'm not saying it just comes naturally. I thought it was a pretty bad movie when I first saw it too. But that's if you think with the head that expects it to be like every other slasher film. Now I want a unique approach in the slasher subgenre because after seeing so many slasher films, I'm very tired of the cliches and the usual approach. Sleepaway Camp had an entirely unique look and feel to it. It was weird. But that was good. It was entirely bent, over the top, and in fact- almost plays like a parody of soap operas and movies like Little Darlings and that kind of shit.

19. No I don't care and it doesn't bother me, though as I note on my YouTube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/captainbrandon1980), I'm a hardcore Shape and Jason fanatic, and never got ALL of the hate for the Salt Lake City shot sequels. I ment I missed series composer Alan Howarth's scores for them. Me and many others did (sorry buy John Ottman can't score worth a shit in my eyes).

Technical details about the mask and score are major parts of a Slasher series like Halloween, so I'm not sorry for bringing'em up. Myers mask changes constantly though out the dullard H20 (see the fine documentary Halloween: 25 Years of Terror for more on that cause of filming problems), and the score is a very important element of any Myers adventure. Sorry if ya disagree but it is (not Tyler Bates mostly horrid score for Zombie's Halloween '07). And I don't see how he was much smarter written then past instalments. Maybe less ridiculous then Part 6, but ah right then.

that's just it; I DO like weird, but ultimately, the original SC was just TOO weird and ultimately unfun. I can't get excited at the prospetic of seeing illegal aged 15 year old girls get killed in the shower, or have John Waters film-esque pseudo sexual hang-ups cause of a mentally un-hinged aunt who dressed up one young man as a lil' girl. The "acting" in the film also hurts the score I give it. Plus it's just too goofy and un-scary over all, with much better films from that early '80s time period for me to truely care about it.

While sort of bullshit-y, so what (about the Slasher having family to stalk)? John Carpenter (and to be fair the late/great Debra Hill, RIP) did it for Part 2 way back in '81 (though Carpenter claimed that he was partly drunk when he decided to make Laurie the Shape's sister, he says with a sigh). Slashers have always done that, I've noticed. So I never bothered me. People should go back and re-watch Part 4 (it's on annually on AMC constantly around the Halloween season here in North America). Quite a wonderful, well made film. That's cool if others don't like it, though.

Back to the first SC, I mentioned the "shockering" ewnding in quotes cause that is how the majority online mention it, for whatever reason. And I wasn't looking TOO deeply into the first film cause, and no offence, they shouldn't be taken that seriously (which is why I so dig the sequels--and the recently makers of the new "official" sequel shit, once again, Return to Sleepaway Camp, can go to Hell). I find no real sub-text to find on the film, I'm afriad. But to each they're own if you thought there was somethin' there. *shrugs*

Also I always thought the Peter Bogdonovich film Little Darlings (1980) is a unique and underrated little thing. Not as good as his Paper Moon or the true story of and L.A. teen named Rocky Dennis (in Mask from '84) but it was a unque "all girl's" look that many of us dug. A dman shame it's not on DVD as of yet.

Ultimately, the first SC isn't very entertaining for me, plus go back and read my posts as I stated about the accents and such grating on my nerves. To each they're own. Don't wanna discuss it anymore, honestly. guess we just got differing tastes.

Later ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  20. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

New Year's Evil just plain sucked ass
    Jason X was really, really, really, ridiculously stupid
    All of the Halloween sequels after part 5
    Most of the Elm Street sequels, especially part 2
    I didn't care for the Silent Night, Deadly Night movies