Slasher // Video Releases

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Well... I took a peek at Killer Workout on the monitor at my office. Don't expect too much. Interlacing jaggies, soft print with dirt/debris built in, some analog color pops and all that. We have a decent monitor and from 10 feet back it looked passable but it's clearly a tape master. I didn't check the file size but that is where you might get a marginal boost in that the compression may be negligible. And it looks better than any VHS I've tried to watch on my HD TV. In short: it is what it is. No amount of digital tinkering was going to change that but if the film elements are truly gone it's probably the best it's going to look.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received them yesterday, and that basically echoes my thoughts. The transfers look about as expected with no great surprises, video tape master upconverts on a superior format. The AVC encodes use pretty good bit-rates so added compression really isn't an issue here with these.

Shock 'Em Dead is literally PACKED with bonus features, more than I thought the film would ever see. This is pretty much the definitive version.

Interestingly, Killer Workout has some strange "smearing" near the end of the end credits and you really can't even read them on the Blu-ray. I checked my old R2 DVD of Aerobicide, and that isn't present on it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Dobby likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was having trouble deciding which to watch first, but ultimately went with Killer Workout.

Yup, it happens during an early scene as well. Switches to sub-VHS for a few seconds, almost like a YouTube VHS rip quality. I'm guessing maybe that scene was missing from his source, and that it cut off the end credits early? There is also occasional tracking lines and other minor VHS issues.

I thought the audio was more of a concern than the video, it's a bit muffled and hard to hear at times.

Extras are pretty skimpy. Just a photo gallery of mostly previous VHS/DVD artwork, a brief alternate opening credit (only difference is the title), and a trailer created by Slasher // Video. One of the DVD covers in the photo gallery mentions an audio commentary and interviews with David and Ted Prior. Those would have been a nice inclusion.

Will probably go with Shock Em Dead tonight. Really wanted to watch it last night because it's my favorite of the 3, but was a bit tired so I went with the shortest running time.

Dobby likes this.
  4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

You guys are being too kind. Looking at DEADLY PREY, the viewing experience is no better than the VHS rip I already have. Just spot checking, it looks like it could be worse. The trailer looks like it was ripped from Youtube. I'm really annoyed because these releases limit the possibility of something worthwhile down the road. Even if they are certain better elements will never be found, they could have done what OMG did with FINAL SCORE. They included a ggtmc commentary track that made it worth owning. Slasher Video earned a lot of credit from me with SATAN's BLADE but they burned through it with these releases. I doubt I'll be pre-ordering from them anytime soon. Damn shame I didn't get KILLER WORKOUT canceled before it shipped. At least SHOCK 'EM DEAD has a commentary track.

5. Angelman

I'm not sure my review would be qualified as being "kind". I watched Shock 'em Dead's first 60 minutes last night and all I could think, as much as I enjoyed the silly trashiness, was that it was a tape master. The "fun" of Blu is the seeing of these old classics in HD, seeing them presented the way they were. Seeing a more-or-less VHS quality dub on blu is underwhelming.

The guy that runs Slasher asked if people wanted it on Blu, and told them the state of the material - overwhelmingly, people asked for Blu.

The company that owns Deadly Prey also owns Killer Workout. They also own Elves and I saw that Bill Olsen wrote on Facebook that the owners of that film ALSO did not have a 35 mm print of that. I'm sure Jesus or Bill could give the inside story if they were so inclined but it sounds like the films' elements for their library are gone or lost.

So while I don't want to encourage ANY boutique companies to think we want anything from a tape master, it legitimately sounds like this was the best this will ever look. And I only paid $10 for it, so the price was "right" for what I got. I don't want tape masters on Blu Ray, I don't. Having seen the final result I'd MUCH rather have Slasher Video do more stuff like Satan's blade and pull from film elements (and pay more for the end result). That's why I love Code Red - if the materials aren't there, he moves on to releases where he can work from film elements.

Dobby likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

I watched Shock 'Em Dead last night. Pretty much looked like an episode of Saved By The Bell. I think Killer Workout probably looked slightly better, but Shock 'Em was much more consistent throughout. No tracking lines or VHS glitches, except in the deleted scenes. The extras were a lot of fun too. I guess the ones with the cast and crew watching the deleted scenes and auditions were a bit pointless because... well, they were quite literally watching it. It's just footage of their faces staring at a TV screen and chuckling occasionally. A cute inclusion regardless, I guess.

To address the two previous comments, the director of Shock 'Em Dead mentions in his interview that even though the movie was shot on 35mm, the footage was transferred to video and edited in the way you would edit a shot-on-video movie. The director says he knew it wasn't going to theaters, it was always intended for VHS. And since video was a fairly new format then, longevity wasn't really taken into account. So this isn't a case where the 35mm negatives are sitting in a vault somewhere just waiting to be found. They simply don't exist, and even if there was any 35mm footage left, it would all have to be re-edited from scratch. Wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for the David Prior flicks, but can't say for sure.

This happened a lot during the late '80s / early '90s, same is true of shows like The Wonder Years or Saved By The Bell. Same goes for a lot of the straight-to-video horror flicks of the time. Doom Asylum is an example, which is why Code Red's DVD is from a tape master. Code Red has mentioned the same is true of The Night Brings Charlie. Pretty sure Hollow Gate, Elves, and Iced are too. The credits usually give it away.

Even though this is far from ideal for the blu-ray format, if video transfers are the only option available, I don't mind having them on disc, especially since the prices for these are so low. I didn't own any of these movies on any format (Killer Workout, Shock 'Em, Deadly Prey), so for me this beats paying $24.99 - $174.99 for a used wornout 20+ year old VHS tape. Even though I do own Night Brings Charlie, Iced, Elves, and Hollow Gate on VHS, I would gladly pay $10.99 for similar blu-ray releases and ditch the VHS tapes for the longevity alone. It's not like these are $29.99 + $4.35 shipping for limited Screen Archive exclusives, that would be ridiculous.

However, despite the severe misframing, Slasher // Video's Satan's Blade blu-ray was a real stunner, so I'd love to see them work with film again as well.

Dobby likes this.
  7. Angelman

There you go. So if we want some of these films to survive, it is what it is. I do wonder what ever happened to what they shot? If they shot on film, those elements have to be somewhere or they got tossed...

Dobby likes this.
  8. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I forgot that Jesus asked the fans if they wanted a Blu or DVD. Ha, in that case, I am not upset. I mean, would I love Killer Workout in greater condition? Yeah, but from the clips he posted on the facebook page, it's not going to look any worse than video. Though I am worried what that one non-credit scene with youtube-rip quality is. :(

But even if Satan's Blade is the only quality transfer they release, it's worth it for that alone. Even with the AR being weird, and the extras being some of the strangest I've ever seen for a legit release... it is BEAUTIFUL! Something like Terror On Tour or Honeymoon Horror would really benefit too.

Dobby likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

[​IMG]

10. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Best part of the whole movie. (((((Sigh)))))

[​IMG]

gobad2003 and Katatonia like this.
  11. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Seizure precaution: In Killer Workout my dvd starts to strobe at minute 31 and lasts for a minute. Its only a minute and a half, but I've got a friend who's epileptic and she would have had to turn away from the screen during that.

12. Angelman

I want to go on record saying that If film elements exist for Elves, I volunteer to edit the scanned film materials to match the VHS. That film deserves to be seen in HD. Criterion-level preservation and presentation.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

Like with Killer Workout, the photo gallery on Deadly Prey shows the original blu-ray artwork before Olive put their stamp on it, and the special features list an audio commentary and interviews with Ted Prior and David Campbell.

Wonder why these extras were scrapped on the David Prior movies?

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

What is all this wishful talk about Elves? I just read 6 pages of blah blah. I even lurked slasher video and found nothing.

Angelman likes this.
  15. Angelman

Just that: wishful thinking.

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

UUUUGH!!!!

[​IMG]

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I already got Shock 'em Dead and ordered Killer Workout. It was cheap enough. There were so many movies out on VHS during the 80's and I'm assuming many of them would have been edited on tape, even though they were shot on film. It is easier, cheaper and more efficient and tape was the end product anyway. No one thought ahead to days when consumers would get higher quality content and it is doubtful that many films will be remastered in HD because not many people would reorganize the film elements and in many cases, they are probably lost. I'm just happy to see these films out in a format I can watch and at an affordable price.

19. Stige

Stige Active Member

So I'll just be happy with my Aerobicde DVD for the time being ?

20. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Eek! Half a star rating for the picture quality.