Slasher // Video Releases

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

That looks just like my DVD.
    Releasing this on a Blu-Ray is just a waste of money.
    Money that Slasher//Video instead could have saved, by putting it on DVD and use the extra cash on another project.

Hmmm...maybe I can rip my VHS collection, upscale it to 1080p, put it on Blu-Ray, and make some easy money on it :D

No offense to anyone who bought the releases.
    I just find it a bit overkill to release SD stuff on a format meant for high def ;)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Slasher had a quick poll on FB over releasing these titles on Blu or DVD, and the majority seemed to want Blu, so that's the direction he went. Hopefully now people will realize that not all formats gain anything by being transferred to HD.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    People just don't get it that a Blu-Ray doesn't automatically mean better quality and that if you have an SD master, you might as well just go to DVD. I agree that it would have been much more cost effective for them, but I don't care either way. It was a fair price for a movie.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'd imagine that there were a number of people who, like myself, fully understood the situation with the materials and wanted BD anyway just because BD is the current format. DVD is old, I still buy them and am happy with them but I'd probably never pick DVD over BD unless the BD was unreasonably expensive or botched or something.

Shannafey and Angelman like this.
  5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

My sentiments exactly. At $10/pop it was worth having on the current format.

Katatonia, f.ramses and Dobby like this.
  6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I bought the blu and was weirdly impressed. No doubt this was due to the fact that my previous viewing was a terribly washed out VHS rip. This looks much, much better. Actually, that moment on the blu-ray with the quality dip is how my first viewing looked in it's entirety. This film begs for one of those special editions that come bundled with the soundtrack on CD. As an alternative they do allow a few songs to play out during the stills gallery, but this is one soundtrack I'd like to track down.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If they come out and say it loud and clear beforehand, I am fine with an SD upconvert on Blu-ray. A proper AVC encode is still going to be better than a DVD's MPEG2 encode, and Blu-rays are tougher to scratch up, etc. These were all available cheap enough that I don't see why it should be a bad thing. Slasher // Video were completely upfront about them being SD tape upconverts, and also clearly lists this on these release's back covers.

Also, many of the bonus features for Shock 'Em Dead are actually in true HD... and you wouldn't get that on a DVD release.

Now, the Blu-ray release of Killing Spree on the other hand is an example of how to upconvert and encode SD poorly for a Blu-ray release.

Dobby, Angelman and Myron Breck like this.
  8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

SHOCK EM DEAD is a lot of fun and looks slightly better than a VHS rip. It's consistently weird and funny. The special features are plentiful and entertaining as well. That's one the better cast reunions I've seen. "Cast's reaction to screen tests" was particularly good. The galleries are generous as well. For $12 this was an excellent purchase.

9. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I remember Justin/Slasher being pretty clear that these titles were sourced from tape when he was asking whether folks wanted DVD or Blu:

https://www.facebook.com/slashervideo/posts/910736005657324?fref=nf

Also, I just looked up some of the press releases, and they all mention which ones are sourced from tape:

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/showthread.php?10619-Slasher-Video-2015-Titles!-Deadly-Prey-Killer-Work-Out-amp-More!

http://www.horrortalk.com/news/5754-slasher-video-september-releases.html

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17265

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

It's not cool releasing mediocre VHS quality rips on DVD or Blu without compelling special features to back them up. It's shame people are getting in the weeds over it being on Blu. These DEADLY PREY and KILLER WORKOUT releases aren't acceptable for DVD either and should have been delayed until interviews and commentary tracks could be obtained.

"Survive"? Neither of these are in danger of disappearing. I've seen them projected at Alamo Drafthouse in the past year.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

In 35mm?

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

No, but they didn't look as bad as you'd think. And it made for a great party atmosphere.

13. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Stop crying.

Order Deadly Prey and Shock EM Dead.

14. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

I agree that the price is fair for those of us who want these titles on a lasting, contemporary format. That being said, I feel that Killer Workout could have looked slightly better even with the limited resources. I have a rip of the UK DVD of Aerobicide released by Dark Visions which looks to be sourced from the same PAL master, only without the flaws present on the Slasher Video edition -- no sudden drop in resolution during the scene mentioned earlier and no weird strobing effect later on. I was also hoping for some more HD bonus material to help justify the Blu-ray format (I hear Shock 'Em Dead fares better in this regard).

Still, it's nice to finally have these movies in the collection. I forgot how fun Killer Workout is -- there's a pretty decent killing spree at one point and the bloody spandex really starts to pile up!

15. Angelman

We're talking about a home video release. So yes, "Survive". Seeing a VHS projected at the Alamo Drafthouse (yes, it was a VHS) is not the same as having it in the best possible format on my shelf. With the 35mm elements out of the picture, there is danger that films like this will disappear, or all that will be left is a 30 year old VHS. And yes, movies are always in danger of disappearing. Elements get lost, damaged, erode, etc. over time.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Slasher//Video is a pretty small label so is it possible better material does exist but they don't have the means to find it being as small as they are?
    Arrow for instance has grown quite large and I feel they have greater means for tracking down decent prints/footage for films like this.

It's good to finally own these regardless but I'm skepticle that this is the best footage left.

17. Angelman

It is possible that film elements exist but that they are not edited. As someone mentioned the director of Shock em Dead said that the film bits were transferred to video and edited on video (I believe). That means that to have the film in HD form on Blu someone would need to recut the ENTIRE film from uncut film elements. Too expensive. Arrow wouldn't even do this for Shock 'em Dead with what they know it would sell.

Having said that, I would edit "Elves" back together from HD-scanned film elements (if they exist) myself in order to have a proper HD release of it. Dan Haggerty commentary would be a must. Sorry, I'm daydreaming here.

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Is it actually that costly to recut a film? Shout! for instance usually just release the prints they acquire even if they're dated yet were at least involved in the total restoration of the Nightbreed DC. I'd say that's a fairly small film too, though not as small as Killer Workout. Still, I was surprised to see the effort that went into that release from a company that's not really know to do much restoration work.

I wouldn't expect Slasher//Video to afford the restoration cost but I'd imagine Arrow would do it should they acquire the film and have elements to work from.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    You would need all the elements... negative, audio tracks, etc. I can't imagine any company wanting to do it, but to Zombie Dude's point, when you have a clean 35mm negative, you can just scan it and do a color correction and any fixes (which is time consuming). If you needed to add sequences that were cut, you could do it at that time. You would still have to do some editing and it is time consuming, but it is just one more step. I imagine it would just have to be the demand for the film. There was plenty for Nightbreed.

I just got my Killer Workout in the mail.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Angelman

Exactly - Nightbreed wasn't "from scratch"... Killer Workout, from the sounds of it, would be. There was demand for the Cabal cut of Nightbreed for YEARS, not so much for the "Spandex" reconstruction of Killer Workout.

So is it possible? Yes. Would any company be crazy enough to invest in that money-losing venture for Killer Workout? Not a chance.

Some boutique company might do it if they could get call in favors to do it for free just to "preserve" the film... but that would have to be the case.