Slaughter High Coming to DVD 4/14/09

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentScreams, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yep.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So you can't find dvd's like Slaughter High in stores there then? Seeing as it got a dvd release there, who sells them and to who? Do they just get exported to other countries? (which doesn't make much sense seeing as it's a German release). It sounds confusing.:hum:

3. Stige

Stige Active Member

I seem to think there are Austrian dvd's ........ could be wrong just remembering Tony S from exploited selling lots of "german" dvd's that were unavailable in amazon.de and such

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Well, I assume they still sell Slaughter High in consumer electronics stores or similar places in Germany, but movies that are indexed are usually sold behind-the-counter - you'll have to ask for the title since a blacklisted movie cannot be advertised or sold openly anymore.
    No idea how that works with exported sales though.

5. foller

foller Active Member

You can find a review with screenshots here:

http://www.dvd-forum.at/7030/dvd_review_detail.htm

Although the cover looks different it is the same DVD. The steelbook with the lenticular cover is just a reissue with a new cover.

6. Zombie Dude

That seems like such an odd way to sell a product. Well I'll be keeping an eye out for SH on ebay and if I have to I'll probably just spend the 30 something dollars for it.
    That transfer seems really nice. The specs seem to be the same as the US dvd but if I remember reading correctly this dvd is a re-mastered transfer.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah but now you have to deal with the annoying PAL speedup. That's one thing I hate about buying PAL editions. While the image may be better, when you're used to watching the film in NTSC, you REALLY notice how the audio is about a semitone higher as a result of the PAL speedup.

~Matt

8. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Overall we're not missing out on too much though. Whew! Thought I was going to have to seek out another R2 disc.

9. Zombie Dude

Living in Australia I'm quite used to PAL dvd's. That shouldn't be a problem. The problem is if I want to spend the money on the dvd or not.;)

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just watched the LionsGate DVD of Slaughter High. You can tell that it was obviously intended to be matted to widescreen. The cigarette burns appear much lower than usual, almost halfway down the screen. You can also tell that the woman in the bathtub is wearing underwear, and that Marty is wearing pants in the shower scene. The boom mike even makes an appearance.

You'd think LionsGate would have noticed these things and put two and two together. They probably didn't even watch the movie, they just slapped it on the disc. However, like some of you have already mentioned, I can just press zoom and there's the widescreen version.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just watched the LionsGate DVD of Slaughter High. You can tell that it was obviously intended to be matted to widescreen. The cigarette burns appear much lower than usual, almost halfway down the screen. You can also tell that the woman in the bathtub is wearing underwear, and that Marty is wearing pants in the shower scene. The boom mike even makes an appearance.

You'd think LionsGate would have noticed these things and put two and two together. They probably didn't even watch the movie, they just slapped it on the disc. However, like some of you have already mentioned, I can just press zoom and there's the widescreen version.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, the German SteelBook DVD release looks pretty stunning. I don't know how the German DVD compares to the French DVD, but the transfer is easily far superior to the shitty Liongate DVD.

The disc is a dual-layer at 7.75gb in size (!), and I didn't notice any compression artifacts at all. The darker scenes especially are much improved. The 2.0 English audio track clocks in at a respectable 384kbps.

The included 35+ minute Dick Randall documentary is also 16x9 widescreen, and offers either the original English audio track or a German dub. Also included is the English language trailer for Slaughter High, and a few other trailers like Cutting Class and Slugs.

13. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Anybody know why the artwork on the German Steelbook is different in certain pics? One version has electric blue grid lines alongside the cover,and different kill scenes shown on the back.

Also,it appears there is a steelbook of Cutting Class,(a guilty pleasure of mine-a busty redhead cheerleading panty-less,Roddy McDowall as a pervert principal,and sexy Jill Schoelen,how can you go wrong?).Does anyone know if the steelbook is uncut?

The U.S. unrated claims to be,but snips a shot of a guy getting his throat cut under the bleachers,instead cutting to his girlfriend's horrified face.There also appears to be trims to the axe-to-the-teacher's-head scene,though the coach's trampoline death does seem a few seconds longer. Strange cut,this.Any info on the steelbook would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  14. springjack

springjack New Member

The German Steelbook has a better transfer than the French edition.
    It was pulled from the same master but with far less compression.
    The title on both editions is "1 April Fools Day".

Yes... It is uncut.
    ________
    Cheap uhc precision premium plastic airsoft

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  15. foller

foller Active Member

You can find the original artwork in post 234. These are photos of the actual steelbook. The photos like in post 215 are just the sketches that were published before the actual release.

Cutting Class has been released by HDMV, too. The German title is "Todesparty 2". This disc does not come in a steelbook. It is a regular Amaray keep case in a cardboard slipcase. The artwork of the Amaray is reversible, so that you have two covers to choose from. The slipcase has a different artwork, too. So you have 3 artworks altogether. It is the "real" unrated version. The US-disc with the headline "unrated" actually contains less violent shots of some gore scenes. The runtime is thus the same. The Geramn DVD by HDMV is based on the US-Master but the uncut gore scenes have been recut into the movie from a different source.
    The quality is neraly the same, so it is hardly noticible.

Todesparty 2 (HDMV):
    DVD-9 (8,5 GB), PAL, 1,85:1 (anamorph / 16:9)
    German /English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)

You can find shots of the differences here. (The comparison is based on the UK DVD and not on the German HDMV DVD, it is just to show which scenes are softer on the US disc)

http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittbericht.php?ID=4531

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  16. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

foller,

Wow-thanks for the in-depth info.Very nice of you to take the time...I assume you own both discs,then?I see they are PAL format,(standard for outside of the U.S.,I know)..are they region free 0 as well? Its good to hear that "Class' is uncut here.

Was I imagining extra coach-kill mayhem in the snipped U.S. release?Once he's been speared,it seems he bounces longer,or something.I haven't compared it to the Republic VHS in awhile.

Those "Slaughter' screencaps look amazing.Light years ahead of that murky dreck Lionsgate served up.Shame about the conceptual artwork, (grid lines),which I liked better.

I would like to track both of them down,but have a player capable of playing region 1, or PAL 0 (my player is connected to a six-speaker surround set-up,so I'm in no hurry to drop the required dough for a region-free).I would gladly throw a few bucks someone's way for a copy of one,or both of them.Extra for artwork copies.I'm very fair,price-wise.

If Diabolik or any of the on-line retailers have these,I might just snap 'em up tho',if I can play them.The art on Slaughter is really sweet.

PM me if you'd like to arrange something.I've got rarities (like Savage Streets) to offer in trade as well.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  17. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Ill give you a dvdr copy if you want. Of the german steelbook release.

18. Zombie Dude

*waves hands in the air* I'd be interested in that.

19. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

My first viewing of this film was the Lionsgate DVD and although it was far from good, I really liked the movie. I'd love a high quality (and affordable) DVD.

20. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

BlackAndBlu81,thanks for the generous offer.If it were readily available,I'd just snag it,but so far I'm only seeing foreign sites offering it.Do you have the HDMV Cutting Class disc as well?Let me know what I owe you for shipping,and whatever else you think is fair for the blank CD,etc.I'd like to get it as soon as possible.