SLEEPAWAY CAMP, EVILSPEAK, FINAL EXAM & More from Shout Factory in May 2014

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks for the heads-up! I was able to cancel a couple of pre-ordered titles on Amazon and save some $$$! :banana:

2. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Amazon's days of being the go to site for movies are numbered. Their prices are ridiculous now!

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Agreed - I rarely buy Blus and DVDs from Amazon anymore. DDD and importcd sales seem to do the trick for me.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Wildman was a trip. I gotta say I have yet to see anyone these days do what that actor did with the booze, the shaving creme...THAT is acting!

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What I think the Herzog "camp" really meant to say was, "We love the rather large sack of money Shout! Factory gave us and we will say anything so as to keep said sacks of money delivered in a timely manner."

German to English can be tricky.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I got the Sleepaway Camp blu-ray yesterday. The film looks absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to dig into the special features. I know what I'm doing this long weekend.

~Matt

9. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Never been a fan of DVD Verdict. No screenshots, akward layout and there is hardly ever any real info in their reviews. Take that SC "review". No comment on PQ, audio, quality of special features. I could write the same review by just reading the back of the box.

10. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Thing I hate about dvd verdict's reviews are, they will give dvd/blu's PQ reverse rating.s Like they will give crappy pics better ratings..

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    FINAL EXAM looks and sounds GREAT. Since I don't have a stereo system, I like that the sound is so good that I don't have to keep turning my tv up just to hear the dialogue - a problem I had with the very first DVD release.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I know the local Hastings here sold their 1 copy of Final Exam, and somebody I know had them special order another one... (and they'll probably restock more) so hopefully it's selling pretty well.

Hastings also had 3 copies of Dogs on the shelf last night.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Any time a store has to special order more copies of a cult title it's a good thing.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So after thoroughly going through this disc over the weekend, I can definitely see compression issues with the transfer. It's very obvious in some night scenes and bright daylight scenes in the camp. The grain structure looks a little similar to the blu-ray of City of the Living Dead. However, the colors are rich and lush. The greens, the blood reds, all look very nice. It just looked slightly compressed in certain spots.

Another thing I noticed was with the scene of Judy in the cabin just before her death. When the killer opens the door, there must have been some error in post-processing with the shot of the killer standing in the doorway. It's far too bright. You can CLEARLY see the killer. It's blatantly obvious and kinda ruins the shot I think. I don't remember it being that explicit on the Anchor Bay DVD or the HD version on youtube. And I was right. I just checked the youtube version (1:11:03) and the shot is much darker here than it is on this blu-ray. Anyway it's definitely a mistake on the blu-ray.

But the new doc features interviews with nearly everyone who worked on the film. It's really great. The commentary with Felissa Rose and Jonathan Tiersten is a riot. They get along so well and really carry the commentary. The commentary with Hiltzik is pretty boring I found. There are a lot of gaps of silence, much like the Anchor Bay commentary.

~Matt

15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yeah, that shot with the killer is way too bright
    though I seem to recall hearing a two killer theory at some point, and this would make sense since that's Ricky wearing a wig in the shot for some reason. I know he did all the "hand acting" for the POV shots, but I'm confused why they used him in that shot. It's going to confused the hell out of people who are seeing it for the first time with this Blu-ray release.

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Was there originally meant to be a different outcome/killer in the movie? That could explain the shot.

18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

No I don't think so. It's definitely an error in the transfer. A glaring one, I might add.

~Matt

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Hmm, that is odd then.

20. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Hmmm I always thought that shot was too bright even in the Anchor Bay DVD. Too bad they didn't correct it in the Blu.

I love hi-def but sometimes it reveals things in a film that shouldn't have been seen. Freddy's first line in Nightmare on Elm Street 4 ("You shouldn't have buried me. I'm not dead.") is a good example. In the shot, he's back-lit and I assume we weren't supposed to see his face... only a silhouette. Cleaned up, you can see his face as plain as day and it's clear that his mouth isn't moving at all. The line was totally dubbed.

The wires suspsending Clint Howard in the air during the finale of Evilspeak were always slightly visible, but in Shout's Blu they're SO visible that it almost gives the impression that they were meant to be seen lol.

Hi-def can definitely be a double-edged sword at times.