SLEEPAWAY CAMP, EVILSPEAK, FINAL EXAM & More from Shout Factory in May 2014

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jan 10, 2014.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I'm usually a bit obsessive compulsive about keeping slip covers, but in the case of Scream Factory I'm throwing these abominations out. They all look like a pool of vomit to me.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol are you kidding? The Burning IS a silly B-movie.

~Matt

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Also, these covers really aren't THAT bad. Remember the artwork for Happy Birthday to Me? At least they have people on the cover that are actually IN the movie!

~Matt

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

If you actually get rid of the slipcovers, sell them on the blu-ray.com forum. I've seen people pay like $5 for one slipcover over there.

5. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I don't agree. I think it's extremely well made and directed and the kills are too mean spirited to be silly.

I don't see it as silly or bad what so ever.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

What is there to disagree on? Everything about The Burning screams B-movie. It is literally THE definition of a B-movie. It's a slasher for christ's sake! Slasher films are B-movies. And the label "B-movie" doesn't necessarily connote subpar quality, I never said it did. Lots of good films are B-movies. A B-movie refers to budget, are made up primarily of genre films (spaghetti westerns, slashers), they have a certain cult status (which The Burning obviously has).

But let's be real here. The Burning is totally silly. 75% of the movie plays out like a teen summer camp comedy. Jason Alexander is totally silly, the plot is silly, the raft massacre is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in a slasher movie. But silly doesn't necessarily mean bad, either. The Burning is quite well-made, I agree. I love the movie it's one of my favorite slashers. But it IS silly, and it IS a B-movie.

Maybe we're a little desensitized by cult horror, but to the general public and the average filmgoer these movies are totally silly and ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_movies_(The_exploitation_boom

~Matt

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I feel like I've been focusing a lot of negativity on the Scream Factory covers the last few days, but the truth is that I agree with you. I may wish they would go outside the box a little and move on from the floating-head business, but for what they are, I find them pretty appealing. they could always have just gone with crappy photoshopped collages of people and scenes from the movies.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

"A-movie" or "A-list movie" have bigger stars and bigger budgets.

The Burning's budget was $1,500,000 (estimated). Compared to Superman II's budget $54,000,000 (estimated). The Burning is by any definition a B-movie.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

And, it's completely over-rated.

But "silly"? I don't think so.

10. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, "silly" isn't necessarily the first word I think of when describing The Burning. But "B- movie?" Absolutely! and that's why I love it :) Though, the make-up for Cropsy was kinda "silly" looking at the end.....

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Shout´s covers are that they look too much like comic book covers. Far too cartoony compared to the old-school paintings.
    Though, as long as they keep the original art on the other side of the covers, I can live with them ;)

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I always thought the movie was totally silly. Like Cropsy should never have been burned, the skull was way too far to the left of him, if you look he clearly reaches over and knocks it onto the bed on purpose. It's just badly set up, they could've done it some other way. And come on, he was THAT afraid of just a skull? The raft massacre is also ridiculous. I mean yeah it's gory but I always thought it was the most overrated part of the film. It's just...silly. The dialogue, the camp hijinks that go on. I always thought it was meant to me a little silly. It's full of humor tho, that's for sure. The hooker at the beginning is supposed to be almost comical, the nurse in the beginning who was all "hey man check this out" only to get the shit scared out of him. Yes the kills are nasty and mean-spirited but this is a Weinstein production, there's definitely a lot of intentional humor and silliness to the entire film.

Also the ending is cheesy as fuck. "Don't move....YOURE DEAD!" Ugh I always thought that was awful.

People may disagree but The Burning is pretty "fromage". It's not as silly as say, Madman, but it's up there. We might have more tolerance for this sort of stuff because we're horror fans but I've watched this with a few friends on different occasions and everyone thought it was cheesy and silly. Most slasher movies are, but at the same time I think that's part of their charm. I have much more patience for silly horror than I do for say, silly sci-fi, it's all a matter of preference. I love The Burning but honestly, it's a B-movie made to cash in on the success of Friday the 13th. It's one of the better slashers but it's not like it's particularly well-made. It's bottom-of-the-barrel cinema at its finest. :D

~Matt

13. Steel76

It sure was made a bit tongue in cheek.

Too me, The Burning is far superior to Friday the 13th.

In the Burning you have more well developed characters, witty dialogue, and a much more brutal tone when it comes to the murders. You actually care for some of those suckers.

I used to love the F13 movies back in my teens, but today I can barely get though any of them. The Burning though, I still enjoy very much. And together with "My Bloody Valentine", "The Prowler" and "Hell Night", it´s one of my all time favorite slashers. :)

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

The whole "kill her mommy, kill her" thing in Friday the 13th is so cheesy, though. I cringe during that scene every time it's so bad. The original Friday the 13th has to be one of the campiest ones in the series. But yeah I too enjoy The Burning much more. I will credit Friday the 13th, however, for having almost perfect pacing for a slasher movie, an aspect that many slashers tend to fuck up. Most go so long without a single kill whereas Friday the 13th it's pretty much one after the other. The Prowler is stylish, and I like it a lot too but it lags. But those 4 you just mentioned, along with Terror Train and Prom Night are also my all-time fav slashers.

Oh and the score for The Burning is really fucking cool too.

~Matt

15. Steel76

Yes, Prom Night is another one I have a soft spot for :)
    I actually didn´t like Terror Train that much when I watched it back in the day, but I should give it another try. Maybe I end up loving it as well.

Yeah it´s great! Still have the soundtrack, on vinyl, in my collection :)

16. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

The Burning is one of my favourite slashers, Yes it's cheesy, but to me it's part of the charm, the soundtrack really adds for me, i remember when i first saw it as a kid, not knowing to much about it, but loving the cover, when i sat down to watch it and found savini had created the effects i nearly had a heart attack with excitement, once you are that hyped about a film it can't really fail, but even after recent viewing's my love is still there, i also love Hatchet, could do a double bill with the buring and hatchet any day of the week.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Really? I guess when you consider all the slashers that were made, it would be in the top half, but...it's honestly not that good. It's not scary at all, the acting is brutal, the makeup (especially the final reveal of Cropsy) looks like exactly what it is - rubber, the characters are...memorable, I guess, but not very likable. And, yeah, it's incredibly silly. George Costanza doing his thing "there will be three commands...", Glazer (seriously...."Glazer") with his ridiculous hair and spandex t-shirts. It takes place pretty much exclusively during the day, and there's no central character to root for.

I saw it first when MGM released their first dvd, and I wasn't all that impressed. I've since grown fond of it, but definitely as a big 'ol slice of cheese.

18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen anyone here actually praise ANY slasher film. I mean, really praise it. There always seems to be something wrong. Strange for a horror forum.

19. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I will absolutely praise Sleepaway Camp and Friday the 13th. Aside from Alice making insta coffee I think that it's perfect. I love The Burning and Friday the 13th Part II, but upon rewatches I'm noticing flaws with the both of them that is hard to shake off. Depressing as I consider them some of the best, but last time I watched Part II I was bored to tears. Tears of sadness that my love has abandoned my heart. One day...

Sleepaway Camp and, even moreso, Friday the 13th, has not lowered in my delight. F13's pacing as said IS perfect. I don't like slow slashers, but many times they're a bit TOO quick. It needs settling time ya know?

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I have lotsa love for Slashers released pre-1984. I think the only disappointing thing about many of them were the lack of really great special effects. FRIDAY THE 13TH was a real standout and really spoiled me so that anemic shockers like FINAL EXAM, HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE, to name a few seem undeserving of their R rating. The R rating was a true draw but many of those films didn't pack the same oomph as '13TH. The other thing I loved was the final chase/battle between the main character and the killer. FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 and HELL NIGHT being my most favorites (despite the lack of spectacular gory special effects).
    The recent restorations of MY BLOODY VALENTINE 1981, THE BURNING and THE PROWLER made all the difference in the world since they now pack a more powerful punch with their impressive effects. Shame we had to wait so long but it's been well worth it.