SLEEPLESS Region 1 DVD

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by mazzariniuk, Dec 4, 2001.

1. killit

killit Active Member

The face of Artisan is changing...and it ain't pretty

Well, probably some of you will remeber the case of Ginger Snaps and how BB carried a mysterious version by BB in house dvd company CITY HEAT. Well, apparently that was the first title of importance to us, to have this duel release, it will not be the last. It looks like Artisan and Blockbuster(city heat) have joined forces to bring us total crap transfers of good films. This also wil make it possible for bb to censor dvd, via their City Heat editions of Artisan releases. I guess they did'nt want to confuse anyone with the shit you see at blockbuster and the shit we all pre-ordered online. As a result, Artisan is becoming the shit company everyone knew it was, but was just blinded, by blair witch hype and their latest, the argento commentaries. I already paid for Twin Peaks, we'll see if it delivers on any of it's promises. I am pretty scared.

2. killit

killit Active Member

Jesus! Do I say shit enough? Anyway I'm not going to correct my poor writing skills in the above post, hopefully you get the point.

3. Luna

Luna Guest

FUCKING HELL!

When I heard that Artisan was most likely releasing Nonhosonno with commentary and widescreen and all that, I was almost regretting the trouble it took me to get the Region 2 DVD from Italy. Now, I say THANK YOU, dvd.it! So I can't play it on my DVD player... I can play it on my computer, and I'd MUCH prefer to see it the way it SHOULD be seen than cave and get a shitty copy from Artisan. They should REALLY dig far up there and take their heads out of their asses. What the HELL were they thinking?? Pan and scan?? What the fuck!! GRRRRRR!! I wouldn't even care if there was no commentary. I also didn't expect them to subtitle the cool documentary thing that comes on the R2 DVD so no great loss there... The very LEAST they could have done was release it in widescreen though - the way it SHOULD be seen. I just don't get it! I bought Ginger Snaps from Canada for these same reasons. I'm beginning to hate Artisan as much as I hate Ballbuster. Bastards.

4. Luna

Luna Guest

I mailed them right after reading this thread.

It's dvd@artisanent.com - I'd really suggest that everyone here mail them, even if it DOES seem useless at this point. Maybe there's something that can be done. Ugh.

5. suspiria

suspiria Guest

Well for those who can play PAL and have region free players I would suggest waiting for the R2 release in mid-January.

Its going to be a 2-disc set with the recent "Eye For Horror" documentary on the second disc. It will be anamorphic widescreen and offer shitloads more over the R1 release which I quickly cancelled my preorder for recently as well :)

Here is an excerpt from Dark Dreams re the upcoming R2 release.

Release date: January 21st 2002

Features:
    Anamorphic widescreen
    Dolby 5.1
    Theatrical Trailer
    Making of ...
    Dario Argento Biography and filmography
    Production stills gallery

and some more notes...

The UK DVD of SLEEPLESS from MIA is starting to look like a winner. It will be a 2 disc set with the second disc containing the recent EYE FOR HORROR documentary.

My sources tell me that the film is unlikely to be cut by the BBFC which can only be good news. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    Also, an extra special bonus is being lined up as I write which will make this release well worth owning.

6. K'

K' Guest

Is it already clear if it is a full frame transfer like Ginger Snaps, or a Pan&Scan transfer?

7. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Guest

An early buyer at HTF reports it is panned & scanned and NOT a full frame transfer.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

All I can say is WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY THINKING?

I'm glad I found this out. It'll be the UK version unless it is cut...

9. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

What the fuck??!!! I don't think we'll be seeing a release of Sleepless from a company who actually gives a shit for a long time because of rights issues and all that crap. At first this dvd sounded really cool, anamorphic WS,director commentary,etc. If you ask me this is blatant false advertising!! What's next? Are we going to find out on Dec. 17 from those scumbags at Artisan that they cut 20 minutes from the film to obtain a PG-13 rating??!! I too was looking forward to seeing this movie, but don't have the luxury of owning a region free player, so now what? Do we wait fifteen years for a decent release, or bite the bullet and shell out 25 bucks for this piece of shit?

FUCK ARTISAN (and Paramount, and Trimark while we're on the subject)

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Thanks Luna for the email address. I had already emailed them at mailinglist@artisanent.com because that was the only address I could find on their website. Thanks to you, I can now send my hate mail to it's proper destination!

After what they have done to Ginger Snaps and Non ho Sonno it's time to tell these guys that we won't stand for this shit!

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Are there any good websites to mail order Canadian discs from?

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

www.dvdboxoffice.com has Sleepless up for pre-order. I'm hoping it's the Canadian version (which I'm told is W/S with commentary).

13. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I think the Canadian Sleepless disc and the U.S. disc are the same thing, and we may be thrown off by the artwork posted on the videoficks website that was taken from the Italian poster. Remember, all the U.S. dvd retailers still list the Artisan release as being widescreen! (I just checked Amazon) Anyone have any definitive info on the Canadian dvd?

14. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Zombi, we're banking on the past experience that Ginger Snaps Canadien version was widescreen. Let's have our little fantasy until proven otherwise... keep your fingers crossed.

15. killit

killit Active Member

Except, the Canadian edition of GS is by an entirely different company. Where as Both the CA and US editions of NHS are Artisan.

16. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Hmm, that I did not know. All I ever heard is that GS had a Canadian version, and never heard of any other company name.

17. killit

killit Active Member

Yep, believe me, I'm sorry about it, but it is true. I wish it were'nt.

18. Maupin

Maupin Guest

Well, I won't get the disc and I will advise all my friends to ignore it too. They can come to my place and we'll watch the region 2 version.

Not much else to say that wouldn't be cursing or profanity directed at Artisan Entertainment...

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Oh...I have no proof I guess. I emailed DVDBoxOffice for the Non Ho Sonno specs but they haven't replied :(.

20. Luna

Luna Guest

Glad to be of some use! :D