Slumber Party Massacre Series.

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by J.C., Feb 7, 2009.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I seriously doubt these movies were made to convey any moral message on the audience per se. I do find a lot of fun in these movies however. They're certainly not Casablanca, or even attempt to be, they're just unadulterated entertainment and exploitation. Not everyone is going to appreciate them of course, but they certainly have a loyal fanbase. :evil:

2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I'll second that. I find them good, mindless, fun.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It's common knowledge that the screenwriter is a well known feminist/gay activist and that it was also directed by a woman. Rather a unique arrangement wouldn't you say? Even by normal film standards, none the less slasher standards. It's also interesting that more than a few of you guys like the sequel better. It's not every series that has a more popular sequel.

Actually that may explain my disappointment. Besides the villain being the most incompetent bad guy in all of cinema, it was pretty by the numbers and overall rather mediocre in my mind. I was rather hoping for a fresh perspective on the genre.

4. Katatonia

It does state this on that link:

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

What the hell does that mean? All the films were directed by women, it's hardly a trait unique to the first film. If you're going for the gay angle, well, the third film has the ladies doing strip teases in front of each other, so that angle is queered too, ain't it?

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just an observation that more guys seem to like a film that's not written by a hard nosed dyke (as far as I know). Maybe there's something off enough about the script and execution that perhaps a straight man may not like as much as a more "traditionalist" take on the material that even a straight women could deliever. The fact that it was written as a parody opens it up even more that as satire it was structured to display such beliefs in extremes. A common trait, even a definition, of parody.

And producers playing a script "straight" (not in terms of sexual orientation mind you) or not doesn't really change much of the story elements. Either way the killer is written like he was. Anyways I'd hardly call it a straight slasher, it didn't seem to be taking itself too seriously in my eyes. Kind of an oxymoron in and of itself, as I don't think there's many slasher out there that went the Silence of the Lambs route and tried to be on the up and up. It's part of the course to be somewhat tongue in cheek in the least.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Even the most somber slashers don't shy away from a few moments of tongue in cheek. Think of how brutal the finale is for THE BURNING compared to all that summer camp hijinks with Jason Alexander showing us all his ass. There are a few light moments of comedy in TSPM, but really, I found the ending to be one of the most devastating in the genre. I think because it was directed by a woman there was a real compassion for the plight of the Final Girl(s). Jones really lingers on the tragedy and that sort of sadness is something that few other films in the genre can replicate.

I think using a few opinions from this thread as a barometer for the overall opinion on the films isn't at all a fair representation. If I were to poll this on the front page I'm very sure that the first film would get an overwhelming majority of votes compared to the others. The female slant of the film is definitely evident, but it's not some crazy rhetoric that would take away from enjoying the film on a strictly entertainment level.

8. Stige

Stige Active Member

the third was a longer print on dvd than VHS I seem to remember

9. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Are the dvds ever going to be reissued? I want a high def copy or one with a better picture and sound!!!

10. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

Yay.....I'm actually gonna see this.....I ordered the DVD :D

11. I agree, Corman need's to do a re-issue of the long out of print boxset, with new transfers and commentary tracks and fresh interviews. Glad someone else thinks so.

12. Katatonia

There's never been a boxset.

His older catalog of films are obviously tied up in limbo right now. That whole Disney distribution deal smells fishy now...

13. I'm afraid your wrong, Katatonia.

I used to get all of my DVDs from Half.com way back in '02 and part of '03, as I was just getting into ordering online, and I distenctly remember a New Concord boxset of all three Slumber Party Massacre's. Me and many others saw it. Someone at the very beginning of this thread mentioned seeing it at a Tower Records or whatever years ago, and of course, wishing they had picked it up then.

Also check eBay on occasion, cause there was a boxset. Trust me, I'm not mistaken. It's just very rare, cause only so many were pressed (which makes logical sense; after all, and no offence to us fans who dig these, but there was just never a great big demand for these films).

Anyway I got the first two on DVD, so I'm a happy lad. Just wish they included better transfers that weren't so merky and dark and with non vibrant colors, as I'm sure even this lower budgeted Croman produced productions originally looked much better then this as they do on my two DVDs. I'm also a huge audio commentary fanatic, and I've always been dying to know just how & why Part 2 (1987) wound up so eccentric, and how everyone was cast (especially that Atillas Hitch or whatever guy as the new greased hair, leather-clad rockabilly rocker cat of a new Driller Killer). Such an oddball yet enjoyable film, and I've always wanted to know what they were goin' for. If any film ever screamed for a commentary track with the film makers and select cast, it was Slumber party Massacre 2. I honestly don't like Part 3 for a few reasons, except for that plugged in vibrator thrown into the bathtub kill I remember, so everyone else can have that one.

But just wanted to set that straight.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  14. Katatonia

I'll trust your word, but it sounds more like a bootleg or unofficial import. It's not even in the DVD Profiler database, or even Google searches apparently. :eek2:

Are you sure you're not thinking of this "Double Feature" that was released on DVD?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  15. Hey again Katatonia,

Well there was a pic of it on Half.com in '02. As far as I know, it was region-1. But I've also seen that two pack you showed us on Amazon of course. Should be an official, not another regions import, as far as I know.

Stay cool ...

16. Katatonia

Hmm, that's very strange Brandon. Don't get me wrong, I trust your word...I'd just love to see what it looks like being a fan of the series and all. :)

I guess it could have been the official DVD releases all sold together by a seller(s) in a custom made case. That's definitely happened with other series sets sold on the net before.

17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

I used to have all of these, The Slumber Party Massacre Double features and the Sorority House Massacre Double Features.

I sold them about a year ago for about $20 each, i should have held onto them....who knows how much i could have gotten now.

18. Oh it's all cool, Katatonia. In the coming days, I'll keep checking eBay with Slumber Party Massacre searches, as they often wind up there (and as you might have guessed, for absurd amounts of cash). I think that maybe it, or New Concord truely only pressed so many of them (even more so then the hard to find, I find myself, Sorority House Massacre DVDs) way back in '02.

that and Half.com I can check on occasion, even with my erratic scheduale. Take it easy mi amigo ...

19. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I bought the double featue along with part 3 as a package deal (brand new) on EBay several years ago back when they were new and cheap. It was just the 2 separate DVD's like you'd buy on their own. No boxset or anything. Never even heard of a boxset for this before.

20. rin0001

rin0001 New Member

I LOVE THESE FILMS~ i praise them~ part one is so00oo good and part 3 is also really good~ fortunatly i hold a special place in my heart for the ill-fated- unimaginable part II- its the funnest and hilarious~ but part one comes close and then part three. Who else agrees part 2 is the funnest?