Soavi Returns to Genre w/ Cemetery Man 2

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by deepred, Feb 4, 2011.

1. deepred

deepred Member

Just when you think you're suffering from zombie fatigue, another project comes along to get you excited again. If you thought The Walking Dead might be the last word on the genre, think on. Fangoria has a scoop that Michele Soavi is working on a sequel to Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetery Man), his bonkers Italian comedy horror first released in 1994.

Based on a novel by Dylan Dog creator Tiziano Sclavi, Dellamorte Dellamore stars Rupert Everett as cemetery caretaker Francesco, trying to stay on top of his paperwork while keeping the frequently rising undead from overrunning his town; obsessively pursuing a succession of women, all played by Anna Falci, who resemble his lost love (whom he shot, twice, once by mistake and once as a zombie); and fending off job offers from the Grim Reaper.

It did poorly on release, but has built up a cult following over time and has a high-profile fan in Martin Scorsese. Soavi's fellow Italian genre director Luigi Cozzi likes it too. He calls the film "A Gothic masterpiece", and recently informed Fango that "Michele tells me he has started writing the script for a sequel. He wants it to be a great, strong, shocking Italian horror movie: a special project."

Soavi disappeared from cinema screens for a while after Dellamorte, directing for TV for a number of years, Recently he's returned with crime thriller The Goodbye Kiss and historical The Blood of the Losers though, and he seems to be planning on keeping busy...

"Michele also told me," says Cozzi, "that he's going to shoot a movie in the style of The Goonies, starring Nicolas Cage, about some boys' adventures in Pompeii while searching for hidden treasure." Cage will be taking the Anne Ramsey role.*

No further details yet, such as what the Cage movie actually is, or whether Rupert Everett is likely to return for Dellamorte 2, but the prospects of further Everett zombie control and Cage tearing up the screen in Pompeii certainly have us interested. Cozzi says that Pompeii Cage shoots sometime this year, and the Dellamorte sequel either in late 2011 or early 2012. Watch this space.

source: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29989

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Cemetery Man 2?!? Niiiiiiccceeee. I just made a squishy. :nervous:

The Goonies-esque project sounds like it has promise. Starring Nicolas Cage though? Weird.

3. marcx

marcx New Member

while all of this sounds great--I am filing it under "I'll believe it when I see it"

4. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Hope it happens, but without Rupert Everett, I don't know if it will work.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

live free or die hard
    indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull
    the star wars prequels
    terminator 3

i wish i could feel some excitement. but im already preparing for disappointment.
    it's REALLY hard to recapture the magic from a film like this. i guess we'll see.

6. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

I actually regard that one as a decent film. Nowhere near the level of the first or third, but IMO miles ahead of the muddled steaming pile of the second film.

A sequel to Cemetery Man is treading on hollowed ground, but if anyone has the right to take that walk it's Soavi. Doesn't mean it will measure up, just means we at least can't complain about someone else pissing in Soavi's cereal bowl.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I marginally enjoyed Cemetery Man. The thing I loved unequivocally about it was the ending but that was a whole other movie entirely. Everything else was bumpy at best.

Oh yeah... the point. Almost forgot. Since this is somewhat about Soavi's return to feature filmmaking, I've not been convinced that he ever had the master's touch to begin with. I hate The Church. Passionately! And those are the only two films of his I've seen. God, I hoped when Blue Underground flicks started turning up on Netflix that StageFright would be one of them.

Nope.
    Almost figures, really.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

And no one felt the need to comment on this line?

9. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I actually own several Michele Soavi movies on DVD: Stagefright, The Church, and Cemetery Man. I think he is a pretty good director, but he was also in some classic horror movies: City Of The Living Dead (AKA Gates of Hell), Demons, just to name a few. I hope that he will direct more movies. I will probably see Cemetery Man 2, even if Rupert Everett is not in it, but it would be nice if he was in the sequel.

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

It might be considered blasphemy, but I'm not really interested. We'll see.

11. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I've been hoping that Soavi would return to horror. I'm looking forward to this even without Rupert Everett.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

And of course - more importantly - Dario Argento's Tenebre and Phenomena. The best credits on his res.

13. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

The footnote to that line in the actual article was "*Not really. As far as we know. And we don't really know anything so it's actually entirely possible."

Equating Cage to Anne Ramsey is pretty hilarious though.

14. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I always thought his role in Opera was fun. Doing a cameo under his real name!
    And don't forget A Blade in the Dark!

15. DVD-fanatic-9

Forgot that one. That's #3, for sure.

Never seen it. And I doubt I'm actually missing anything (I'd rather watch Lamberto trying to be Lucio Fulci - the Demons films - than Dario Argento).