Some good slasher films?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by jas1081, Sep 20, 2001.

1. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

BlazingMagnum, wow, seems like you've seen of whole of great horror and exploitation on the big screen. As I said, I envy you.

I didn't know that Savini did the effects for Killing Zoe. That makes the movie even better!

2. Yup - but unfortunately, most of his effects were removed by the MPAA. Tom talks about it in Grande Illusions 2. Most of the violent scenes were trimmed, such as the part where the clerk & bank manager are executed - you hear the gun go off, a rough edit & then blood on wall - body on floor.
    Hopefully, some nice people out there might put together a restored version. I don't know why they had to actually edit the scenes for the final version - they should have put out an uncut version in other territories & just released a cut version where neccessary.

It was one of Tom's 'right out of the bag' movies, like Alone In The dark - where he'd been called in last-minute to provide some quick make-up effects - with whatever was to hand. The amazing burn make-up on the guard was done with soap, fabric, tape, amazing paint job etc.

You probably already know it - but Tom also did the effects for Missing In Action, an amazing torture scene in Red Scorpion, Mr Stitch (which I've never seen) Maria's Lovers - among others.

3. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

No sir, I didn't. It's always fun to hear some trivia. Missing In Action, you got to be kidding me! ;)

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what is Grande Illusions 2? A documentary? A book? Where can you get it?

4. Yup, it's a book & it was preceeded by Grande Illusions (naturally).
    The books are textbooks - written by Tom himself, and detail all of the work he's created. The first book details just about everything you could want to know about the make-up effects from Deathdream, Deranged, Dawn Of The Dead, Martin, Dawn Of The Dead, The Burning, Maniac, Rosemary's Killer, Friday 13th, Creepshow etc.
    Illusions 2 details Friday 13th 4, Day Of The Dead, Monkey Shines, Red Scorpion, Bloodsucking Pharaohs In Pittsburgh, Heartstopper, Tales From The Darkside, Two Evil Eyes, Night Of The Living Dead 90, Trauma, Killing Zoe & Mr Stitch.
    There's also another complete-works-of type thing from Midnight Media over here in the UK - which features everything Savini's ever touched & some excellent info on stuff like Alone In The dark, Nightmare etc.

The books are essential for any Savini fans & have some incredible behind-the-scenes stills from Tom's movies.

I don't actually know if they're available right now & I checked Amazon & there's no sign of any of the above. I'll check a few places out over here & let you know what I find out.