Soundstage 28, The Phantom of the Opera set, To Be Demolished

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Aug 28, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Inside Universal:
    http://insideuniversal.net/2014/08/historic-stage-28-set-to-close/

There is a petition set up to preserve it: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/330/290/272/save-historic-phantom-of-the-opera-stage/

It sounds like the sets themselves will be stored elsewhere but the building itself is just as significant as the Phantom set itself.

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Sometimes I hate "progress".

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

It always sad to hear of such historical places getting demolished. Not sure what an online petition is going to prove though. At least Universal is going to preserve the props, though I really think they should turn the place into a museum of sorts. But what do I know...

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Variety confirmed:
    http://variety.com/2014/artisans/ne...age-but-preserve-silent-films-set-1201292227/

Jesus, it's being torn down so they can keep a Transformers "attraction." They're tearing down something that's stood for 90 years so they can have something which will probably last less than 9 years.

There is a special thrill to Soundstage 28 which always carries with it, in ghoulish tone and flash light under the chin (if handy), the open secret of being haunted. The goosebumps are very real for film fans who visit the stage, as Ray Bradbury did:
    There are many such tales from special effects men, actors, writers, and other crew members. People sneak on the lot just to see "The Phantom Set." But the experience alone isn't just seeing the Opera set; its standing in the same place Lon Chaney once did. Breathing the same wood and concrete air from 90 years ago when they were shooting this momentous film (with one arm raised to prevent the noose from tightening around your neck!). The history is that building and its cache is invaluable in attracting people to Universal. It would be a crime to tear it down and a great loss to Universal as a whole.

However, from the Variety article they mention the following:
    A few years ago the entire Universal 100th Anniversary DVD/Blu-ray release schedule was leaked the winter beforehand. What grabbed my attention in the leak was that The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of the Opera were specifically listed as being in the Universal Horror Blu-ray box set. They were also prominently listed in the stand alone Anniversary website. Almost everything else on that leaked schedule came to pass except for these two silent features. At the time I thought it a long shot but not improbable, but now I wonder even more if perhaps due to restoration issues (and rights concerns) they were pushed back. What else, naturally, would a documentary on Soundstage 28 be included with? With the upcoming horror reboots and the reported "multimillion-dollar preservation effort to save the set from Phantom of the Opera," why not throw in the necessary thousands into digital restoration of the actual film?

Hell, this hubbub itself was originally stirred up by Universal's own newsletter. If they wanted to quietly tear it down without chance of objections they probably could have. I almost wonder if they're fishing for free press on their soon-to-be rebooted horror icons.

:adjusts tinfoil hat:

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Is it wrong to hope the enraged ghost of Lon Chaney's Erik opens up a gigantic can of whoop-ass on the folks responsible?

Once a set stands for 80 years it should probably stand forever. And if they want another attraction for Universal Studios theme park, wouldn't this make the ultimate final stop for the tour?

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

White House Petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...d-make-it-national-historic-landmark/cpb54DWS

:D

It seems rather absurd to keep it around for 90 years only to now tear it down. Especially when it's still one of the biggest sound stages on the lot apparently. I'll admit not everyone who steps on the Universal lot will get the same feels out of it but for horror enthusiasts I can't imagine a more religious pilgrimage.