Spawn Reboot in Development

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Jul 21, 2017.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://mcfarlane.com/spawn-movie/

othervoice1 likes this.
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I read about this a while back and am excited to see it. The HBO animated series was great, the movie sucked, so I have high hopes this will be much better. Here is some info he gave back in March when he was shopping the idea - sounds promising.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/822237-spawn-reboot

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

As someone who read the original comics, Spawn seems like such a 1990s property. I wonder how much cache the name has today with the cinematic superhero audience.

zbinks likes this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The big red flag for me is that apparently McFarlane is going to direct it himself!

Now, as an example, I'm a big Frank Miller fan so I was still able to enjoy The Spirit for what it was. But this is going even further out on a limb having McFarlane direct this. I know he had some hands on involvement with animation but this is on a completely different level. Having him write and direct? I smell trouble!

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Just means the property will be tailor made for endless sequels. The comic run for the first ten plus years consisted of:

Spawn brooding in squalid homeless camp over his cursed existence.
    A supernatural threat to the world's existence erupts.
    Spawn ignores said threat until it for some stupid reason it decides it has to directly intrude in Spawn's ghetto.
    Threat runs rampant until Spawn grudgingly expends some of his supposedly finite (because it never does run out) power which quickly defeats it.
    Spawn goes back to brooding, waiting for the next circular story arc.

6. Workshed

McFarlane should not be writing. He's one of those creators who, when the time was right, struck gold with his ideas. But he's not a good writer.

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah, the time to do this was 1997. They tried it. They failed. Spawn fell out of mainstream relevance a few years later. No studio is going to give this film the budget it needs without requiring a significant reduction in both violence and the overt religious themes. That being said, if this has to be done, HBO did such a good job with the animated series, so why not give them a crack at live action? This series would work great episodically. An episodic TV-series would allow characters and sub-plots to come and go as they did in the comics.

othervoice1, Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  8. Workshed

Agreed. The success of B and C-tier superheroes on television makes a case for this as well.

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I for one would love to see a Spawn movie. I don't care so much about the character but I think his look is really iconic still, they might just need to build a new lore around him. I do agree that McFarlane writing and directing this doesn't sound like a good idea. He's an inexperienced director which is no wonder no one wanted to finance him on this. I'm not really sold on his pitch for this film either. He had this to say about the film recently:
    http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/07/22/todd-mcfarlane-spawn-oscar-winning-actors/

I just don't know what to think about this. It's not selling me on the concept yet.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Lowers the budget. It's a lot easier to have a detective in a trench coat walking around for 90 minutes than a guy in a rubber suit with CGI enhancements. (Even considering how cheap a rubber suit can be, no suit at all is even cheaper).

And it makes sense now why Blumhouse bit. And I wouldn't be surprised if this was THEIR stipulation to MacFarlane, "make it more like our cheap low risk horror films that occasionally come back to make us a bundle of money."

Could McFarlane make a low budget horror film with Spawn as the monster in the shadows via an experienced producer and seasoned crew? Yes. That makes much more sense to me now.

zbinks likes this.
  11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Really odd that he picks Twitch as the "main" character. A scrawny, middle-aged, bespectacled man with a Charlie Chaplin mustache.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I get that part. It's self explanatory that they're going a cheaper route.
    I read an interview where McFarlane mentioned bigger companies approaching him about Spawn but backing out when hearing he had to be directing it. It annoys me that we can't get a bigger budget Spawn film because he's on an ego trip or something.

13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

The comic "Sam & Twitch" was by far the best thing that ever came from the Spawn property.

I'm more wondering if they'll attempt Twitch without Sam, the balance is necessary as neither character stands well on its own (and Carl Kolchak's hat is too heavy for Twitch to wear). And if they do include both characters, how to keep them from eclipsing the Spawn character as the focus.