Spider-Man: Homecoming - Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jul 6, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017, Jon Watts)

Due to a deal between Sony and Marvel Studios, Marvel were allowed to bring one of their most iconic heroes home to the Marvel Universe in last years Captain America: Civil War and now once again in his own movie. They have done a great job in capturing the true character of Peter Parker/Spider-man with the superb casting of English actor Tom Holland, which Sony almost got right with Andrew Garfield in the two Amazing Spider-Man films but got completely wrong in Sam Raimi's trilogy starring Toby Maguire.

The film is light and funny with some good moments and one of the better Marvel villains played expertly by Michael Keaton (Batman). I was worried during the advertising that this was gonna be too much of an Iron Man film like the last couple of Captain America films but he is not in it that much. This outing really entrenches Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but as far as effecting it, it's rather inconsequential. This is fine though because smaller insular stories can be great like Ant-Man was. However I feel other than one really good tense dialogue scene between Tom Holland and Michael Keaton, the film lacked tension or big stakes for the characters.

6-6.5/10

Steel76 likes this.
  2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 6.5/10
    2. Spider-Man:Homecoming 6-6.5/10
    3. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 5/10
    4. Spider-Man 4.5/10
    5. Spider-Man 2 3.5/10
    6. Spider-Man 3 3/10

flame on

Steel76 likes this.
  3. sade

sade Member

1. Spider-Man 2 7.5/10
    2. The Amazing Spider-Man 7/10
    3. Spider-Man 7/10
    4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 6.5/10
    5. Spider-Man 3 4/10
    6. Spider-Man:Homecoming ??

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Spider-Man (1977)

[​IMG]

satans-sadists and Steel76 like this.
  5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The Japanese got it right :D

satans-sadists and sade like this.
  6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Seen the 70s tv series not sure if I saw the pilot movie though

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Spidey ain't nuthin without his Amazing Friends.

8. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Ahhh!...the memories!

baggio likes this.
  9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Big hit over the weekend, no matter what people thing of the end product or it being another quick reboot, people seem to be excited for spider-man returning to the MCU

10. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Was like... oh another of these? Went and saw it because rest of the family was going: Loved it. The most fun Ive had watching a summer movie since Bridesmaids. I enjoyed the way it bucked the direction of superhero movies by a) not being a dour enterprise (I saw that last Superman movie and thinking this guy's got abs, can fly, has super strength, a gorgeous girlfriend and decent parents-what this hell's this guy being a bummer about?) and b) keeping it small. Sometimes they don't need to save the universe.

11. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Oh and as a SpongeBob fan, I almost shot soda out of my nose when a particular someone was named Karen!

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Got to see this last Friday and really enjoyed it too. Love the new suit and Tom Holland. Getting to see him do more low key neighborhood saving was great. Keaton was great as the villain. I wouldn't have complained if he had a few more battles and encounters with the web crawler but he was still very intimidating; especially in that car scene.
    I will agree with Thing that the stakes and tension did feel a little low coming off of some of the other Spidey films but this is still a great start for the character in the MCU world where they can easily grow from.

I was a little bumed out they didn't use the Spider Sense. I guess with him being so young they could always just bring it in later and say that it just hadn't developed fully yet. I always really liked that power. The cast was all really great and I look forward to seeing what they do with them going forward. Also looking forward to seeing more Holland in Infinity War!

13. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Definitely one of the better Marvel films. Though, I will have to say that it didn't quite hit the heights of the first two Raimi films.

Strengths - The cast across the board is pretty excellent. Yes, Holland and Keaton are great. But, I was equally pleased with MJ and Peter's friend who probably had a name but whatever. The film is also really funny. The humor is clever and character driven and doesn't rely on being self-referential or pop-culture. The coming of age aspects are a pleasant change of narrative for Marvel and it was all handled really well. In fact, I think they could have pulled out or trimmed down most of the action sequences and it still would have made for a very entertaining film. Keaton's villain was also a really nice change of pace. He may not be particularly world menacing, but he felt real and, more importantly, understandable. And, the Vulture costume has a great air of menace to it that really did help dial up the stakes.

This also has one of the best end credits teasers in a long time.

Weaknesses - really the only one was that the action didn't really stand out that much. None of it was bad, though some set-pieces were a bit dark for my tastes. But, it didn't have the breath-taking aspect that Raimi's films did. There is nothing in this film that comes remotely close to the thrills and pathos of the subway scene in S2. If I hadn't seen those films, I probably would have rated this one higher as this one does have some of the best action outside of the Captain America films. But, particularly with the way the ferry scene and the Washington Monument scenes play out, it's hard not to recall some of the better images from the previous films.

And, I will add, and I know I am in the minority on this one, but I am really tired of seeing Tony Stark. He is my least favorite of these characters and I will be quite happy to see him retired.

In the end, I kept thinking that I wish Raimi's films had this cast. Then, I think we could have gotten the perfect film. They brought the right level of humor and realism to the characters without ever really going in the operatic tone of, say, Dafoe's Goblin. Overall, I think this one goes head to head quite comfortably with S1. They are very obviously different takes, but in both cases, the strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other. But, it doesn't quite beat out the most powerful scenes from S2.

I haven't seen any of the Amazing... series so I can't comment much there.

But, this is another solid win for Marvel and again shows that they are best when stepping into other genres for the story backbones. It also shows that they may be learning the lessons of numbing action Phase 2 and are moving quite quickly into some solid smaller worlds.