Splatter University coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Vdlman, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

According to Fangoria's chopping list, Elite is going to be releasing Splatter University on DVD October 19. Just thought I'd post this in case there's any fans of Splatter University out there (like me :) ). If you're wondering why Troma isn't releasing it, they don't have the rights anymore. They gave them back to the director (Richard W. Haines) years ago. It was supposedly because of a dispute between him and Lloyd Kaufman.

2. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

In spite of the fact that I've heard so many bad things about this film, I still really want to see it. I'm up for watching any slasher movie no matter how bad and I've heard this one is pretty bad.

3. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Yeah I read this a few days ago in Fango. Great news that SPLATTER UNIVERSITY is coming to DVD regardless of who is putting it out. But not to knock Troma (I'm a die-hard Kaufman fan), but maybe Elite will give it a better treatment on disc (video and audio at least, but I'll miss those Troma goodies!).

4. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I wonder what the dispute between Haines and Kaufman was about?

5. I was just gonna say the exact same thing..... And will it be Uncut? And not the R-Rated version.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm eagerly awaiting this one on DVD. My old VHS is just about worn to a crisp.

7. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

Apparantly Lloyd and Richard Haines had some big falling out. Haines claims that Lloyd edited out a bunch of "hilarious" stuff from Class of Nuke em High, among some other problems I guess. So Troma no longer has the rights.

8. RickB

RickB New Member

Great but where is Slaughter High??? Thats the film I'm waiting for on DVD.

9. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I'm personally happier than a motherfucker that Troma doesn't have the rights anymore. HA!

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I enjoyed this film, so I might end up picking it up. Thank God Troma isn't doing the DVD. :)

11. Tawny

Man, I'm sick of you Troma bashers.;)

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm not bashing their movies or anything in particular, but you have to admit they DO put out sucky DVDs. ;)

13. Tawny

I will admit nothing without speaking with my attorney.:)

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You're just saying that because Lloyd Kaufman is holding a gun to your head. ;)

"Say it, bitch! The Stendhal Syndrome is the best DVD evah!" :D

15. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

I wouldn't give a goddamn if Troma went out of business. The only actual Troma movie I really like is The Toxic Avenger.

Their movies suck, their DVDs blow, I won't say anymore to piss Tawny off. ;)

16. Tawny

I already know I am on the losing end of this argument here. But I'd just like to say that at least Troma keeps it real. They haven't "sold out". Their stuff is crap, but at least they admit it.

17. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

Troma is the longest running independent film studio EVER, and Lloyd Kaufman is a genius! They deserve your hard earned cash more than ANY company out there (even if they do OCCASIONALLY put out sub-par DVDs).

18. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I have to agree with everything Tawny and Rickmoe just said. I'd watch any Troma movie before I'd watch the remake of TCM again or the Exorcist 4 for that matter. Troma is a fun studio that does what it wants to and doesn't give in to the temptation of selling out. More often than not I actually like their special features even though they are usually only promoting their own films and not the actuall movie on the DVD.

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Nice avatar Tuz :)

20. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I had to do it. I've changed my avatar three times in the past week, but I think I found a keeper. I dig the cowboy hat on Linda and Olivia is looking so cute in this picture. It's easily my best avatar yet.