Splatter University coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Vdlman, Aug 23, 2004.

1. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Elite doesn't seem to do many DVDs with audio commentary track.Were you asked to do this?

2. I offered to do it but I don't think the disc will contain it. My other discs of "Run for Cover" and "Unsavory Characters" have commentary. If you want to know what it's like making a low budget movie, you might want to check them out.

3. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

That's what I was hoping for with Splatter U.It seems like you would do a great commentary track.There have been a few such as the Exorcist,that I had to shut off because it was just a play by play of what was happening in the movie.The main reason to listen to a commentary track is to learn about the history of the movie and about film making in general.I pre ordered Spatter U today.It is a reasonable price for Elite 24.99 Canadian.Surely it will be a lot less in the US but we pay through the eyes for things up here.

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Not pre-ordering it (as I'm trying to ease up a bit on my CC's before Christmas), but I will be picking it up when it hits Best Buy or Circuit City.

5. I forgot to mention. I play the priest with a mustache who monitors
    the teacher in the classroom in "Splatter University". The actor I hired never showed up so
    I had to play the role myself. No time to audition anyone else. I was
    only 25 at the time. I cannot act but was able to spit out those few lines
    on the spare of the moment. People who knew me thought it was amusing that
    I played a priest. The co-producer, John Michaels, is the guy sleeping in the classroom who wakes up at the mention of the word 'abortion'. As I previously posted, he did become a priest after making "I was a Teenage Zombie". He was also my roomate at NYU and he certainly gave no indication of having religous convictions at the time.

If you check out my current picture on imdb.com you can see how different I look now at age 47. No wrinkles though. I rarely
    let the sunlight hit my face. Most of the time I'm in a screening room
    or editing during the daylight hours. It's those ultra-violent rays that wrinkle your skin over the years. I go out at night so no problem there either.

6. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Did you work on I Was A Teenage Zombie at all?

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

How could you forget to mention that? That is priceless. I have seen this movie so many times I know just who you are.

And your picture at imdb is very creepy. You should be proud. That is how a horror direction should look.

8. No. John was originally going to co-produce "Atomic High" (retitled "Class of Nuke em High" by Troma to cash in on the popular "Class of 84" film) which was to be my next movie. When Troma offered to finance and distribute it, he backed out because he didn't want to work with them any more.

John borrowed liberally from my screenplay and "Splatter" since
    "Teenage Zombie" has a similar plot. He also used many of the
    actors from my movie. Both "Zombie" and "Nuke Em" were hits
    although John decided to leave the film business. Incredibly, "Zombie"
    was distributed by Janus films which usually marketed art films and
    foreign classics. Splatter exploitation was certainly a departure from
    their usual product although they did okay with it. Zombie was also
    shot in 16mm.

9. Thank you, Onebyone...I think.

10. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

The first time I watched Teenage Zombie when I was a kid I said "what the Hell was that!"But as I got older and watched it more it became an important film in my collection.I was unhappy with the DVD release as there were no specs included.I noticed on IMDB that you were in Clue and played yourself.It has been a long time since I have seen this movie so I will have to check that out.

11. Actually there are two errors in the imdb.com listing. There is another film editor with my name (without the W) so I'm credited with "Lionheart" and "Clue" even though I was not involved with those pictures. Those other acting roles I'm listed in are just cameos in my own movies.

I filled out the form to correct the listing on that site and tried to include the film books and "Soft Money" but they haven't changed it as of this date.
    In fact, they won't list "Soft Money" until after the premiere.

12. "Teenage Zombie" was more primitive than "Splatter" but it was John's first (and only) film so allowances have to be made. It's major flaw is the soundtrack. The music is louder than the dialogue in some instances.
    The co-producer, Richard Hersh, lined up the various music artists and even released an album from the film. Hersh used to work for me just like Jim Martin ("Flesheating Mothers") and many others. Most of them started
    in the editing department which is good background if you want to direct
    low budget movies. If you 'pre-cut' the movie in your head, you'll only shoot what you need to make the sequence work and save money on film stock.
    I storyboard the entire film before principal photography. Of course, you end up deviating from them on set but at least you have something to fall back on when the going gets tough. Otherwise, you end up forgetting to get important shots.

13. Pre-planning is one of the major differences in my filmmaking style from Tromas. Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz relied heavily on improvisation from
    the actors and crew. It seemed to energize them and perhaps that
    technique worked for them. It added a craziness to their movies which fans seemed to like.

I doesn't work for me at all. I like everything
    planned out from lighting design to rehearsals to storyboards. I rarely improvise on set. Anything can happen and I can't afford to reshoot the
    scene if it doesn't work. Also, I have a visual style I'm going for (simulated Technicolor) which is difficult to coordinate. You can't improvise a visual design, it must be done in advance.
    There was no way I could've shot my 3-D movie without a lot of tests and preparation to determine convergence (separation of the stereo pairs) and depth of field (lighting the set so that foreground and background are in focus).

Of course this is going back to the eighties. I don't know how Troma operates after 1986. I know they use my cinematographer, Brendan Flynt,
    in some of their productions. I'm sure that made a difference.

I should also add that there are a number of major directors that like to improvise on the set and allow the actors to build their performance live.
    It certainly works for Martin Scorsese. It's best suited for Method actors
    who like to try variations on their line readings.

However, it's very expensive to shoot in this fashion since you need to do many takes of each scene. If I have to go to more than two takes, I stop shooting and rehearse the actors some more so they get it right on the third take.

14. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

There are many soundtrack flaws in I Was A Teenage Zombie but in that type of film it can be forgiven.It has some good laughs anyway.It,along with Splatter Univerity rate much higher then most Troma Movies.I can't say there aren't some that I enjoy watching.Many may not agree with me but I think that Toxie 4 was well done.

15. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Great to see a slasher auteur on the boards! Thanks Richard, I look forward to getting a copy. :glasses:

16. Auteur yes. Slasher auteur? Not sure about that. I haven't made a slasher film in a long time. But thanks for the plug.

17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It looks like the Splatter University DVD release date has been pushed back and is not coming out today. :mad:

18. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

:( Where did you hear this? Any reasons given?

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's backordered everywhere, and now DVDEmpire has the release date listed for sometime in November.

20. It's been moved to 11-2 for some reason...who knows.