Splatter University coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Vdlman, Aug 23, 2004.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

So many slasher movies are getting bumped all around the schedule these last two months. Most of them haven't shown up at casa onebyone yet either. I hope everything is ok with this release.

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Bummer. :(

Maybe they decided to take Richard up on his offer an include an audio commentary or something? Hopefully, anyway.

3. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Richard Haines is a member now.If you're out there Richard any idea on the release date of Slatter U?

4. Uh, November 2nd.

5. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

So, did anybody pick this up yet? How's the disc?

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Mine should arrive in the mail anytime now, it shipped on Monday morning.

7. Katatonia

Finally got it in the mail last night.

Sadly, the only special features included on the disc are two theatrical trailers. The movie's transfer does look really good in anamorphic widescreen though.

8. Yes. They opted not to have a commentary although there might be one on the upcoming "The Suckling" disc if I can track down Francis Teri and he agrees. He's no longer in the business and I'm not sure
    he wants to get back in...

Well, if anyone has any questions about this "Splatter", I'll answer them here.

I just found some extra pressbooks from the original release. If you want a signed one for $25 (including shipping), email me at: Newavedist@aol.com
    Signed posters are the same at $25.

Made this movie back in 1981/82 for about $25,000. Blow up to 35mm
    cost another $8. Very cheap to make an exploitation film in those days.
    Today, the blow up is so expensive, you might as well shoot in 35mm which is what I've done since "Splatter University". And before someone asks, I will not shoot on digital videotape. Videotape is an unstable medium and you lose that 'film look' and quality. Also, all video formats end up obsolete. 35mm negatives can be transferred to any future medium in existence or to be invented and offer the best resolution, grain structure and potential image permanence. Since I preserve my negatives, this is important to me. (Few, if any, indie
    producers have any interest or concern about preserving their films)

As I said previously, I no longer make exploitation although my next film will be in the horror genre but will contain good photography, performances and production value. I'm finishing up "Soft Money" which will be released in 2005.

9. Katatonia

Richard, I did notice a few minor complaints in the Elite DVD transfer.

There are a few scenes where it appears the film possibly had some kind of chemical burn, possibly during developing. They looked like murky black clouds on the right side of the screen during a scene.

During one scene there are a few thin vertical black lines at the right edge of the screen. Not enough to really distract, but noticeable. I seem to recall these also being on the VHS editions, but can't be sure.

During two very brief scenes (didn't keep track of what time exactly) there is a blip in the picture/audio and perhaps a quarter or half a second of audio is missing. Maybe the print they used? I don't really remember that being that way in the old VHS editions.

10. These flaws are contained in the film. Among the hazards of shooting in 16mm and using cheap labs and so on. All of the labs I used in the eighties folded by the way. No great loss. The only good color lab
    in the history of cinema was Technicolor through 1975. There really
    aren't any good labs any more but if you keep on top of them and check everything, you can get a good print. However, you must monitor everything they do since quality control is dismal and no one cares. The days of showmanship in terms of theatrical release prints are long gone although the standards of the home video formats are quite high. Basically, the best you can do is to custom make each 'showprint' (print off the camera negative) for selected theaters or for video mastering. Mass produced prints (from internegatives on a high speed printer) that are shown in megaplexes are complete junk and look it. You get better quality on the DVD which is derived from first generation materials. In terms of "Splatter University", I did make a liquid gate camera negative print in 16mm and what's on DVD represents the best that is obtainable from the film after decades of abuse from various labs. I'm much more careful with my subsequent 35mm features which have good cinematography and lab processing.

11. Katatonia

Thanks for the info Richard. :) Yeah, I figured it was probably with the film labs, 16mm stock and such.

Still a much welcome addition to my DVD collection and recommended to anyone who enjoys the movie!

12. Many thanks.

13. Alexander

Alexander Guest

I need some more time to read this giant (and highly informative) thread in toto, so let me get right to the point, and forgive me if that was touched upon before:

The SPLATTER U we´re talking about is this one?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• uni.jpg
      uni.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Katatonia

Yes Alexander, same movie as in this thread.

15. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Cool. But this german DVD, it´s an official release?

16. Yes, my sales rep sold the film to both England and Germany. Same source print used for these and the U.S. edition.

17. Alexander

Alexander Guest

Well, good to know that you´re not being pirated.

But are you aware of the DVD released in Spain?

18. No, I did not know about it being released in Spain. Never sold that country. It must've been pirated there unless they're imported the German or English DVDs. Any info would be appreciated.

19. Alexander

Alexander Guest

I´ll try to track the DVD cover for you. It´s a mess, the cover art is from CHEERLEADER CAMP, the title is "Escuela De Sangre", but the movie inside is SPLATTER U.

20. Thanks for helping.