SS Zombi 2 Specs

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by dwatts, Jun 23, 2004.

1. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Yeah, that's what I figured too.

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Hmm....too many threads about this release already so I'm not posting in this one ;) .
    But while I'm here I just want to say that I have a couple of SS discs but they don't look as good as AB's or BU's discs (the ones I have).I don't want to triple dip (I already have the Japan Shock).It's been said before:We'll just have to wait for some reviews (only a month now).

3. marcx

marcx New Member

Aren't botht hese coming form the same transfer or am I missing something?

4. Crystal Plumage

Yes that's true,but if they use different bitrates or resolution there will still be differences.

5. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Word. Wanna see an example of the differences that can happen due to different bitrates/resolution, even when the source is the same?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Why do I get the feeling that all this bitrate crap I'm seeing discussed on this and other forums is mostly people grasping at straws trying to justify their bias for one company in favor of the other? Bitrate is a part of what determines image quality but it's not everything, if you want to take the word of DVD experts who've chimed in on the whole Superbit DVD controversy.

No doubt there will be SOME differences, but even if one disc is superior to the other, our judgement of it will be affected from everything from the quality of our player, the size of our TV, and of course, our own damn eyes.

7. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Bitrate is NOT crap, as you can see on the examples above.

If you, for example, change the resolution so a VOB file can fit on a cheaper DVD-5 instead of an expensiver DVD-9, the difference WILL be noticeable.

8. meddle

meddle Member

I'll be buying the SS DVD is has alot extras and I own about 35 of titles and haven't had any problems with any of their DVD's. They do alot of good work that is often overlooked.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I really wish those in favor Blue Underground because of a company name would just go buy the bre bones disc and leave it at that. BU have had bad discs - Sadomania, Circus of Fear. They've also put out some discs that are hardly great quality: The Crazies has poor sound, Dead & Buried has a grainy transfer. ALL DVD companies have had issues at one time or another.

SS can be faulted for one thing - hoe the heck do spelling errors get through their quality control? Really, that's lame. But it hardly ruins a disc (especially given that 99% of Americans on message boards can't even tell the different between "Loose" and "Lose".)

Still, if some people are so in love with BU, they have the option to buy it. I'm going SS, personally. I don't know how many SS discs I have - lots! I love them. The extras win out for me, SS is the way to go, imo.

10. marcx

marcx New Member

Im noe expert but Id see theres a little more than just bitrate differences in the trnasfers on those picture examples....

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to read the reviews. If Blue Underground has the better transfer, then that's the one I'm buying, extras be damned.

12. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Yeah, I was thinking the first two look like VHS, especially the top one.

13. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Yeah, but at least they REPLACED the faulty copies of Circus of Fear and Sadomania.

The Crazies always had poor sound and Dead & Buried was always grainy, due to budget limitations and the poor film stock used.

SS, on the other way, kept insisting that VERSUS had a DTS track months after the movie was out.

Both companies are doing a cool job bringing great horror titles to the market, but I do prefer BU just because cause they try harder to achieve excellency.

14. Smartt

Smartt Guest

It is bitrate difference in the two first cases. Both used the same VOB file, taken from a PAL VHS.

And the third one is a screengrab of a DVD made from a 16 mm print.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2004
  15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

They'll labels, I find any allegiance to a label to be silly, to be honest. SS have had issues (comentary missing from Zombi 3), but they too have replaced them.

I don't care if Crazies always had bad sound, BU did a bang up job on the picture, how about a bang up job on the sound? Dead & Buried no doubt looks better than it's ever done - but it doesn't change the fact that it looks bad - and by some estimation, it's too dark.

I don't know how you're evaluating BU efforts to "try harder". These companies get masters from all over, and I have SS discs that look great too.

I have no issue with saying BU have done a good job at times, but with their constant bogus "Limited Editions" they've also carried on the worse traditions of DVD. I'm glad both labels are out there, but worshipping one (as some seem to do) is a bit sad, imo.

As for the Verses issue - it's just another case where BU are cut more slack by people. How long has Sadomania been out? Months. BU anounced there's an issue quite late, imo. Shouldn't they have known there was an issue? Of course!

Fact is, all DVD companies have made mistakes, from Anchor Bay to Warners. None are immune. People just seem to love ragging on SS.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I just pick the better release, simple as that. Sure BU has put out great discs, but I've found most of their film selection to be pretty lousy IMO.

17. Crystal Plumage

I'll choose SS,they put out a great selection of Eurohorror/Gialli.I have a few of them already and have no complaints.The only BU disc I have is Two Evil Eyes which has great picture quality but misses something in depth (looks like a "made for TV",don't know if this was intentional..).It's a bit too clean IMHO,too sterile.

18. Smartt

Smartt Guest

I dig to beffer. :D

19. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I was thinking about getting both. :banana:

20. Crystal Plumage

Could well be that I'm ending up buying both as well.Since they're both very cheap (BU=€10 and SS=€15).We'll see..........